• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Has square forgotten how to make good side quests?

User Info: og_megaman

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#1
Fetch quests and boring generic mob fights have become normal side quests in recent ff games being ff7r( with only a couple exceptions ) and ff15.

I hope they can bring back the mystery of side quests that older games had, not being a generic person telling you to go get something but more of a hint at something you hear or see in game and must figure out how to get there or unlock something your self. Examples are seeing places on the world map in ff7 like kotr island or one of the random cave entrances and thinking how do i get in there, the safe in the mansion how to unlock it. Ff9 the hidden zodiac coins or the hot and cold( even tho some people dislike it ), or many of the hidden monster hunts and side missions of ff12.
-------------

User Info: jagger_wanderer

jagger_wanderer
4 weeks ago#2
It's not like you can hide rare items in Midgar. Or put a super secret area only accessable after jumping through hoops, running over hurdles, and killing a few wanted enemies.
After a few hours of solo, I will admit it does get lonely...

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#3
The thing is that in remake all the side quests are shown in menus being so you cannot miss them and there is no mystery. Seeing the dons symbol on the doors was the closest thing to a side quest of old in remake but it's sad that a few talk to this person and do generic fetch was the key to unlocking the doors which had lack luster items anyways.
In reply to the they could not hide much surely they could have made a hidden dungeon with a super boss or something, example is the water way puzzle in ff12 a whole area of dungeon hidden and exposed by a cryptic puzzle once you got a key from killing a hunt which its self was a unique monster.
-------------

User Info: codered1245

codered1245
4 weeks ago#4
I thought most of the side quests were pretty good. Behememoth boss fight was a side quest, the ghosts that gave you the enemy skill were a sidequest, getting nail bat was a sidequest, the large mechanical robot with a wrecking ball was side quest, etc.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#5
I'm not saying those quests arnt side quests and the exceptions I mentioned in the first post one of which was behemoth. The point is to access the quest all that's needed is talk to Someone and follow the arrows.
-------------

User Info: OldKye

OldKye
4 weeks ago#6
I mean with we are cutting out exceptionally good ones I think most FF games let alone RPGs as a whole feature a lot of fetch quests and kill things for side content.

In the original FF7 how much time did we spend breeding Chocobos, or fighting duels and monsters.
- "I admit it feels awkward at first but after a while you get used to having OldKye moving within you. Like a thought parasite. Or excellent lover."

User Info: DarkAmdusias

DarkAmdusias
4 weeks ago#7
Play Dragon Quest XI or NieR: Automata.

Also, FFVIIR's side quests were fine.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

User Info: Smoker_Face

Smoker_Face
4 weeks ago#8
They've forgotten how to do anything well, honestly.

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#9
I think another thing is how unique each side quest was in ff7 original l not many were the same. We had breeding which linked to racing, the amnesiac green seller, the hidden materia.
Battle arena and the rest of the saucer games, finding each unique ultimate weapon and final limits with their unique requirements, the weapon fights, the waterfall cave etc. Most of these you stumbled apon randomly.
-------------

User Info: OldKye

OldKye
4 weeks ago#10
og_megaman posted...
I think another thing is how unique each side quest was in ff7 original l not many were the same. We had breeding which linked to racing, the amnesiac green seller, the hidden materia.
Battle arena and the rest of the saucer games, finding each unique ultimate weapon and final limits with their unique requirements, the weapon fights, the waterfall cave etc. Most of these you stumbled apon randomly.
I think there is a lot of nostalgia here, most of these are considered generic in modern games FF15 had minigames and a festival, giant bosses and flying cars but it's listed in your OP as generic.

Another aspect to keep in mind is a lot of FF7R sidequests have to take place in a small area and you need to be able to quickly go back and do only half or all of those to switch out dresses for trophies and whatnot.

If you make each one a grand adventure people hunting trophies or particular dresses have a rough time of it.

I also don't like the idea that "go and fight x" or "go collect y" inherently is bad game play, it's really what's under all the fluff of almost any quest and goal in a game, games like Monster Hunter are literally only "Fight thing, collect thing" and they are some of my favorite games.
- "I admit it feels awkward at first but after a while you get used to having OldKye moving within you. Like a thought parasite. Or excellent lover."
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Has square forgotten how to make good side quests?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A