• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Was Final Fantasy XV a mistake?

User Info: RayThrust

RayThrust
4 weeks ago#51
No. The way the handled the game was a mistake, but I still enjoyed playing it.

Story was clearly rushed, but I played it with DLC and small details like the days getting shorter in every chapter was nice. Overall a bad mess though.

Had fun with the battle system, didn’t use items.

Amazing music.

Best FF party imo, not as individuals, but as a group.

Sometimes I enjoy stuff, even when it isn’t great. I’d rather replay XV over lots of other FFs.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
4 weeks ago#52
VayneSolo posted...
What were those serious problems?

• The voicework is terrible. I’m not talking about the actors and actresses themselves, I’m talking about scratchy sounding recordings.
  • The story is basically lifted straight from the original Star Wars and given a Final Fantasy spin. It’s not interesting at all.
  • It might have been more interesting if it had been told from Balthier’s perspective and they had cut Vaan and Penelo altogether. Which brings me to...
  • Cardboard cutout characters the game could have done and might have been better off without, such as Vaan and Penelo.
  • Despite being developed by the Tactics team, it requires zero skill from the player. The battles move too slowly in the beginning for there to be any urgency in anything. And it’s far too easy to reach a tipping point where you’re just one-shotting everything outside of bosses, and the game becomes really brainless. And those bosses aren’t much of a threat, either. Even the dreaded Yiazmat comes down to preparation and a sensible Gambit setup, after which the game will pretty much fight him for you while you binge watch an anime season.
  • Multi hour boss fights in single player games are dumb.
  • The game pulls lots of stupid stuff for our benefit. For example, Balthier should know who Larsa is instantly. But he goes along with this Lamont story anyway.

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting 🤔 (it’s 0540 as I’m typing this and my brain isn’t fully powered on yet) but the point is that FFXII (even TZA), none of the Final Fantasy games are perfect. Old fans dunk on XV cepause they didn’t like it. New fans dunk on the old games cepause they don’t like them. VI and VII fans dunk on each other. Mainline players dunk on the MMOs. The flaws are usually less apparent on the things we like, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. And it appears to be a rare person around here that can step back and admit their favourite thing isn’t the greatest of all time. 😪
"I'd thank the gods, but you seem to be taking them out at an alarming rate." - Hargan, Sarn Encampment

User Info: Shiggi

Shiggi
4 weeks ago#53
Funny this thread. I beat the game 3 years ago and haven’t touched it since not because it’s bad but I usually don’t replay games. I bought in on sale for PC and am replaying it again. Even though it wasn’t what it was supposed to be and it has an assload of problems on its own it still has its own merits and I enjoy the characters, road traveling atmosphere, and exploring the world. I’d call it a unique experience in a good way.
Gotta do what you gotta do

User Info: Shiggi

Shiggi
4 weeks ago#54
Wow after reading through this thread all of the hate is hardly warranted it’s not that bad.
Gotta do what you gotta do

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
4 weeks ago#55
Velvet__Crowe posted...
The voicework is terrible. I’m not talking about the actors and actresses themselves, I’m talking about scratchy sounding recordings.
Sounded pretty good to me. What PS2 games would you say are better in that department? Not Metal Gear Solid 3 (and that one is one of the best, imo)
Velvet__Crowe posted...
The story is basically lifted straight from the original Star Wars and given a Final Fantasy spin. It’s not interesting at all.
Matter of opinion. It just lacked the overrated melodrama you got used to in earlier games. It had a more sober and political story and that was good. I saw no great flaw in it compared with earlier entries.
Velvet__Crowe posted...
Cardboard cutout characters the game could have done and might have been better off without, such as Vaan and Penelo.
Sure. Star Wars would also have been better without Luke and Leia.
Velvet__Crowe posted...
Despite being developed by the Tactics team, it requires zero skill from the player. The battles move too slowly in the beginning for there to be any urgency in anything. And it’s far too easy to reach a tipping point where you’re just one-shotting everything outside of bosses, and the game becomes really brainless. And those bosses aren’t much of a threat, either. Even the dreaded Yiazmat comes down to preparation and a sensible Gambit setup, after which the game will pretty much fight him for you while you binge watch an anime season.
"Game is bad because it's easy." Thing is, it's not easier than earlier games and if you use the same gambit for all fights you'll get killed. It's the same as saying you can beat all fights in FF xiii with an all commando setup and auto battle. You can't.
Velvet__Crowe posted...
Multi hour boss fights in single player games are dumb.
Don't see why. It still happens today. A boss taking more than one hour to beat in an rpg is not unheard of.
Velvet__Crowe posted...
The game pulls lots of stupid stuff for our benefit. For example, Balthier should know who Larsa is instantly. But he goes along with this Lamont story anyway.
Bad writing and plot holes are a thing in all ff games. FF XII isn't nearly the worst one regarding that.

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
4 weeks ago#56
VayneSolo posted...
Dumbass binary thinker with overactive amygdalae says stupid stuff.

Reread what I said, but this time not through the lens that I said FFXII is trash or that it’s the worst Final Fantasy. Cepause I didn’t say that. I said FFXII has serious problems. Not that it’s a bad game. Cepause I’m not a binary thinker, and there are numbers on the rating scale between 1 and 10 in my head.

I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked, since it’s GameFAQs JRPG board modus operandi to not respond to what people say or the spirit in which they said it.
"I'd thank the gods, but you seem to be taking them out at an alarming rate." - Hargan, Sarn Encampment
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Alarei

Alarei
4 weeks ago#57
Ideally it should have remained a spin off game but it's not like SE had a choice. Due to being absolutely shoddy developers they had absolutely nothing else to go on other than some unfinished Nomura work. I've never seen a game with such a small main cast and basic ass story require so much extra s*** to flesh it out.
Nier Automata is GOTY.

User Info: Shinagawakun

Shinagawakun
4 weeks ago#58
P sure I saw this exact thread in the Playstation board.

User Info: psuedospike

psuedospike
4 weeks ago#59
XV was still a lot better than 7 Remake
"I Never Die!!" -Smash Daisaku

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
4 weeks ago#60
Depends.

Personally, yeah, it was a mistake. Even ignoring how much I disliked the battle system, FFXV lacked the polish of other FF games. For all the complaints about FFXIII, the game was definitely polished. FFXV just had a lot of half-assed ideas in it that felt incomplete. Just look at the hunts in XV. Hunts in XIII were already a downgrade from XII's, but at least they still had some lore attached to them. Almost all hunts in XV had 0 story attached to them. Got to love the hunts that involved going back to a dungeon you just cleared to kill the boss again... A lot of stuff in FFXV were designed just to waste players time to make the game longer.

But for SE? FFXV was a financial success.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Was Final Fantasy XV a mistake?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A