• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's with so many complaints about the staggering in this game?

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
2 weeks ago#1
I've seen many complaints about the staggering in this game. 'I staggered the boss but the fight went to the next phase and the boss is not staggered anymore.'

Boss battles having separate phases is a good thing. It prevents you from abusing Limit breaks too much. Imagine staggering a boss with half of their HP gone and then performing a Limit break on them. The boss can't even enter the next phase. The fight is already over.

Why would you want the boss to still be in the staggered state after entering a new phase? Not only would it look silly, it also would make the fight too easy and too short. I don't know why people want games to be too easy. What's wrong with a little challenge? And Final fantasy games aren't that hard to begin with.

I've seen people who sucked at a boss fight and they managed to survive by blocking and having enough potions until their Limit break was ready and the boss fight was already over. The game shouldn't let you do that. You can't abuse Limit breaks too much when the boss has more than one phase, at least.

Limit breaks are cheating. They should've been weaker, at least. And they shouldn't have been in the hard mode.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: Gradieus

Gradieus
2 weeks ago#2
You can see it in the Rufus fight on twitch. Everyone is surprised when ascension kills him one shot and are kinda disappointed that it happens.

Complainers don't realize that, yes, they're playing the game wrong. First, they only target the main body. If you target appendages you can stagger a lot faster. By targetting the main body you're guaranteeing the stagger to happen near the next phase and that's by design.

They want you to target the other parts. The reason why there's a stagger at all when attacking the main body is because A) not all hits do the same damage or stagger increase and B) they wanted to make sure you see the bar get to completion so that C) you can be sure to get to the next phase.

Yes, limit breaks are cheap, but they're designed as a fail safe. You're not supposed to get a limit break if you're good. It's a prize to make sure even players that get hit a lot are able to continue the game. They want casuals to experience everything that the game offers and not be blocked because of difficulty.

Am I being harsh? Of course, but the game is designed this way specifically to cater all player abilities. It also rewards better players who understand that appendages are added into boss fights for a reason and to exploit them.

User Info: MysteryVeil

MysteryVeil
2 weeks ago#3
I’m going to assume most people complained because it happened so often. As in pretty much every boss fight just when they were about to stagger the boss the phase change happened. To be fair that’s pretty annoying when it keeps conveniently working out that way almost every boss fight.
"I'm only here to see how the story unfolds." -Balthier (Final Fantasy XII)

User Info: Gradieus

Gradieus
2 weeks ago#4
MysteryVeil posted...
I’m going to assume most people complained because it happened so often. As in pretty much every boss fight just when they were about to stagger the boss the phase change happened. To be fair that’s pretty annoying when it keeps conveniently working out that way almost every boss fight.

This is exactly what I mean in post #2. The only real problem is that SE didn't realize people would try to do the same thing over and over and complain about it over and over.

Maybe there should have been a tutorial or something.

User Info: MysteryVeil

MysteryVeil
2 weeks ago#5
Gradieus posted...
This is exactly what I mean in post #2. The only real problem is that SE didn't realize people would try to do the same thing over and over and complain about it over and over.

Maybe there should have been a tutorial or something.

Yep, I saw your post and I was trying to come up with a way to say the same but you said it better. A tutorial might have been a little helpful particularly to those who play on a more casual level.

"I'm only here to see how the story unfolds." -Balthier (Final Fantasy XII)

User Info: Arvis_Jaggamar

Arvis_Jaggamar
2 weeks ago#6
A simple HUD indicator somewhere that tells you when the boss is near a phase change would instantaneously solve this problem.
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH

User Info: recompex

recompex
2 weeks ago#7
It’s not the problem of the game if one keeps doing the same strategy on all bosses but doesnt seem to work anytime. Yes, I’m talking about attack - build pressure - stagger - go ham. This is a final fantasy game; the bosses don’t adapt to your setup and strategy but rather YOU as a player needs to adapt to the bosses attacks, abilities, phase and whatever they have by optimizing strategies. Having a straightup bossfight with no phases and interactions are very boring and cliche to old FFs too.

User Info: manugarciac

manugarciac
2 weeks ago#8
I don't know about stagger, but what I found annoying is how some bosses used cut-scenes in their advantage. Like, I stagger the enemy, unleash my limit break, do just a little damage and a cutscene starts. I would like to know when something like that is about to happen so that I save my most powerful moves.
PSN: TheManuPro
Check my piano performances... To Zanarkand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokFQsFx5-M ~ Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkyfreh9Hs

User Info: recompex

recompex
2 weeks ago#9
Gradieus posted...
Yes, limit breaks are cheap, but they're designed as a fail safe. You're not supposed to get a limit break if you're good. It's a prize to make sure even players that get hit a lot are able to continue the game. They want casuals to experience everything that the game offers and not be blocked because of difficulty.

I agree that limit breaks are last resorts for people who tend to get hit a lot and/or did a lot of mistakes or errors, but no way it is considered cheap or automatically makes you bad if you got one. Remember that the limit break gauge charges if any damage is taken OR by staggering an enemy. I watched some videos on Youtube where one uses Adrenaline then staggers the boss on each phase to accumulate a massive limit break charge. By the last phase, limit break is ready or is one stagger away from fully charging it.

I would say overly depending on limits are cheap though.

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
2 weeks ago#10
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
A simple HUD indicator somewhere that tells you when the boss is near a phase change would instantaneously solve this problem.

It's better that it's not there, actually. That would've helped people abuse the Limit breaks even more. People need to try to improve themselves instead of constantly whining about everything. The same thing happens in other games too. You see stuff like 'that boss was a bullet sponge' a lot. The solution to those kinds of so-called 'problems' is to get better.

manugarciac posted...
I don't know about stagger, but what I found annoying is how some bosses used cut-scenes in their advantage. Like, I stagger the enemy, unleash my limit break, do just a little damage and a cutscene starts. I would like to know when something like that is about to happen so that I save my most powerful moves.

Read my OP again. Those 'cut-scenes' happen when a boss is about to enter a new phase. And I've already explained why it needs to be the way it is to prevent people from abusing Limit breaks too much.

recompex posted...
the limit break gauge charges if any damage is taken

That's rewarding bad players for playing bad.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's with so many complaints about the staggering in this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A