• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What did you think of the Whispers? (possible spoilers)

User Info: Valshier

Valshier
2 weeks ago#1
What did you think of the Whispers (aka arbiters of fate)?

It seems the Whispers where the biggest change to the remake so I'm curious to see what everyone thought.

User Info: Concession

Concession
2 weeks ago#2
At first glance I think they were a somewhat hamfisted attempt to have a stereotypical "kill a god" JRPG final boss. Didn't seem necessary to have the player kill the physical manifestation of sticking to OG canon if they want to deviate from it...

Idk what to think about the Zack thing though. Maybe if something good comes out of his timeline next game sitting through the whispers will have been worth it.
Laugh and grow fat
Either

1) they greatly change the plot going forward (do not want) in order to justify them or:

2) they were pointless and unnecessary if you're going to remake ff7 mostly the same

So is it bad writing or a terrible idea? Can't know until we see further parts.
Currently playing: Kiseki series

User Info: Shinobuden

Shinobuden
2 weeks ago#4
Completely unnecessary and annoying. Ruined every scene they were in and I just wanted them to go away. Remove them completely from the game and nothing of value is lost.

If they wanted to deviate from the OG then they could've just done so without shoehorning in plot ghosts to justify the changes. By far one of the worst additions.

User Info: Alarei

Alarei
2 weeks ago#5
Since their entire purpose seemed to be enabling the very annoying Sephiroth fanservice and random happy ending "everyone lives" alt timeline I'd have to go with number 3.
Nier Automata is GOTY.

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
2 weeks ago#6
I didn't care too much about them, but the Harbinger boss was amazing.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: ElBrutus

ElBrutus
2 weeks ago#7
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Either

1) they greatly change the plot going forward (do not want) in order to justify them or:

2) they were pointless and unnecessary if you're going to remake ff7 mostly the same

So is it bad writing or a terrible idea? Can't know until we see further parts.
Couldn't have worded it better myself.
Top 5 jRPG's: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Grandia (PS1), Suikoden II (PS1), Dragon Quest V (SNES), Persona 5 (PS4)

User Info: Itazura13

Itazura13
2 weeks ago#8
Would be boring without them so i voted 1. ♥

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
2 weeks ago#9
"The Whispers didn't bother me. I kinda dug what SE was trying to do, tho I didn't like the execution."

not that I have an alternate way to do what they were trying to do.
but either way my votes like a 1.5.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: ZozmaSage

ZozmaSage
2 weeks ago#10
My opinion is that if the dev team had a marginally competent editor, the Whispers wouldn't exist.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What did you think of the Whispers? (possible spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A