• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Is 7R the best jrpg on PS4?

User Info: ArcaneSpiezer

ArcaneSpiezer
1 week ago#201
TallWhiteNinja posted...
Personally think this gen kicks the crap out of the PS3 gen, myself.

It definitly doesnt "kick the crap" out of it. Theyre basically even with only subjective difference for the most part.

Also I was mostly referring to PS1/PS2 which blows everything else out of the water. Ill agree that PS3 wasnt great either but stil marginally better than PS4. Almost everything decent on PS4 right now was either ported from PS3 or was simply done better before IMO.
The Tales of games on PS3 were better.
Trails, Persona, Ni No Kuni, have good games for both consoles tho fairly subjective which were better. This is the part that bothers me because the PS4 should have better games in the genre but struggles to keep up. The lean towards action combat systems has done very little to benefit jrpgs in the last 2 gens.
Rex915 posted...
He's either a troll or a massive hater incapable of regular conversation and discussion, so for his sake, I hope it's the former. Either way, you can safely ignore him.

On topic, this thread is making me realize how few JRPGs I've actually played on the PS4. People who have played either of the following, help me out, should I get Trials of Mana or Tales of Vesperia? Note, I've tried Tales of the Abyss and thought it was okay, but suffered from horrid pacing (like the amount of times you have to go to a town, see a cutscene, go to another town, see another cutscene, view a skit, etc.) and so much jargon usage that it'd make FFXIII blush. Combat was pretty okay, though.

Lol. Disagreement = troll automatically.

Anyways. If you're looking for an overall jrpg Tales of Vesperia (imo one of/ maybe the best in the series but then again I like Abyss too so ymmv). Mana has nice gameplay and is very replayable because of all the builds/characters and everything but the rest of it is very SNES quality.

Plus you can get vesperia for 20$ physical right now and I don't really think Mana is worth 50$. I'd wait for a sale or for physical to drop.
Currently playing: Kiseki series
(edited 1 week ago)
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Mana has nice gameplay
It does indeed. I like how it's pretty much exactly like VIIR's gameplay, with just a little less depth.
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
It does indeed. I like how it's pretty much exactly like VIIR's gameplay, with just a little less depth.

Is this supposed to be some crack at me or something? I haven't said anything negative about VIIs battle system.

Nope, not by a long shot but it is one of the best. My list would go like this:
  1. Persona 5
  2. Dragon Quest XI
  3. YS 8
  4. Nier Automata
  5. Final Fantasy VII Remake
ArcaneSpiezer posted...
It definitly doesnt "kick the crap" out of it. Theyre basically even with only subjective difference for the most part.

PS3 didn't have Dragon Quest games, YS games and mainline Kingdom Hearts by that alone PS4 kicks the ass off PS3. Persona 5 while also on PS3 came out in 2017 which is this gen.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
1 week ago#206
ExperiencePoint posted...
1. Persona 5
2. Dragon Quest XI
3. YS 8
4. Nier Automata

PS3 didn't have Dragon Quest games, YS games and mainline Kingdom Hearts by that alone PS4 kicks the ass off PS3. Persona 5 while also on PS3 came out in 2017 which is this gen.
The ps3 has access to most of the great ps1 rpgs and what people consider (wrongly) to be ps4 best jrpg (Persona 5)was designed for it while the ps4 just got a port of it. So, ps3 wins be a large margin.
(edited 1 week ago)
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI
YS 8
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy VII Remake
What makes Ys VIII preferable to VIIR, in your opinion?
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH

User Info: E_S_M_Z

E_S_M_Z
1 week ago#208
1. Persona 5
2. Dragon Quest XI
3. YS 8
4. Nier Automata

I'm a longtime Ys fan, but was actually a tad disappointed by 8, though I still liked it. I think playing with the original translation hurt, it was just SO thoroughly bad. Should go back and try again with the updated one.

()xxx[]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
The Ghost o' Quakecon Yet To Come

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
1 week ago#209
VayneSolo posted...
The ps3 has access to most of the great ps1 rpgs and what people consider (wrongly) to be ps4 best jrpg (Persona 5)was designed for it while the ps4 just got a port of it. So, ps3 wins be a large margin.

But then Royal was only PS4 so...

E_S_M_Z posted...
I'm a longtime Ys fan, but was actually a tad disappointed by 8, though I still liked it. I think playing with the original translation hurt, it was just SO thoroughly bad. Should go back and try again with the updated one.

You should give it another go.
And thankfully NISA seems to have learnt their lesson.
Cold Steel III is a more dialogue heavy game and a far cry above Ys VIII.
Hopefully they keep Cold Steel IV and Ys IX on that same course.

Courage and wit have served thee well. Thou hast been promoted to the next level.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
What makes Ys VIII preferable to VIIR, in your opinion?

The deserted island tropes work really well for VIII and there's it's fun to explore the island and slowly build up your base and delve deeper into the island. Exploration wise it's an easy win imo. I don't know if I'd go full throttle "Ys 8 is better than VIIR" though. But Ys 8 is probably "the ff7 of the ys franchise" to a lot of people. it brought a lot of new attention/players to the series because it's a pretty HQ one.

I will say I never played it with the butchered translation and fair enough if that was someones first experience of it. Because I hate XV having not and probably never will play royal for a lot of launch reasons.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Is 7R the best jrpg on PS4?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A