• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Is this game a 10/10 for you?

User Info: ShinraRatDog

ShinraRatDog
1 week ago#151
judester30 posted...
I actually agree with this, 10/10 ratings should be more scarcely given out, but it doesn't make the rating system completely flawed, you just have to know how to use it right.

It is factually untrue that "multiple 10/10s are given out every year" anyway. Not entirely responding to you but I can't find the person you quoted.

https://www.thegamer.com/game-informer-perfect-games/

Game Informer has given out a grand total of 29 10/10 scores in the entire history of it's publicity, which is a long one. And no, 10/10 doesn't mean flawless or perfect. Agree with it or not but Bethesda games are typically rated so highly despite it's flaws, not because their flaws are ignored. It's probably not the best example as I'm not the biggest supporter of Bethesda games myself but it's a perfect example of a game where it's high points are weighed more favorably than it's low points, you can have a game that is a buggy mess receive a 10/10 if it's positives are strong enough.

Note there's no Bethesda games in that 10/10 list. I also only just realized Metroid Fusion is a part of that list and that makes me happy, one of the best games I've ever played.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: trimmzy

trimmzy
1 week ago#152
Pokemon Red/Blue gets a 10/10.

Ocarina gets a 10/10.

GTAV gets a 10/10.

Are they all 10 out of 10? For their time, yes. Ratings are relative. If you can't understand something that simple, end of conversation. You're arguing with a brick wall.
ElBrutus posted...
Like how? Humor me.
By describing what exactly makes them superior, which shouldn’t be all that difficult to do.

As I said, my issue would be with someone claiming that the graphics were perfection.

trimmzy posted...
Are they all 10 out of 10? For their time, yes. Ratings are relative. If you can't understand something that simple, end of conversation. You're arguing with a brick wall.
Let’s try this.

We all agree that 10/10 is a perfect score. As you literally cannot score any higher.

Ask any game designer what score they would like their game to receive, and they will unanimously say “10/10.”

On board so far?

So why is a 10/10 suddenly not perfect, when applied to a game?

That’s contradictory.
"Hey, lady, I put the kiddies to sleep. Permanently." - Yuri Hyuga - Shadow Hearts
BrightShield786 posted...
We all agree that 10/10 is a perfect score. As you literally cannot score any higher.
No we don't, and "highest possible score" does not inherently mean "without flaw".
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH

User Info: ElBrutus

ElBrutus
1 week ago#155
By describing what exactly makes them superior, which shouldn’t be all that difficult to do.

As I said, my issue would be with someone claiming that the graphics were perfection.

That much I got. I was hoping for an example, since it's shouldn't be so difficult to do.

Top 5 jRPG's: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Grandia (PS1), Suikoden II (PS1), Dragon Quest V (SNES), Persona 5 (PS4)
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
No we don't
It is quite literally a perfect score. You can’t possibly score any higher.

Unless you know how to get an 11/10... lol.

Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
and "highest possible score" does not inherently mean "without flaw".
You’re claiming that literal perfection isn’t perfection when applied to games.

You’re telling me that 10/10 for a quiz = perfection, but 10/10 for a game = great but not perfect.

Hence the contradiction.

ElBrutus posted...
That much I got. I was hoping for an example, since it's shouldn't be so difficult to do.
An example of two games that meet the criteria, or an example of how to describe the difference in visuals?
"Hey, lady, I put the kiddies to sleep. Permanently." - Yuri Hyuga - Shadow Hearts
(edited 1 week ago)

ElBrutus
1 week ago#157
An example of two games that meet the criteria, or an example of how to describe the difference in visuals?
The describing, please. Remember that both are supposed to be games that would get a 10 out of 10, only the later one comes out 6 months later and is clearly superior.

Top 5 jRPG's: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Grandia (PS1), Suikoden II (PS1), Dragon Quest V (SNES), Persona 5 (PS4)
You’re claiming that literal perfection isn’t perfection when applied to games
No, because as you have already said "literal perfection" does not exist in entertainment, period. "Relative perfection" very much does and warrants 10/10 scores exactly as much as it would warrant your personal 9.99999999 score.
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH
(edited 1 week ago)
ElBrutus posted...
The describing, please. Remember that both are supposed to be games that would get a 10 out of 10, only the later one comes out 6 months later and is clearly superior.
I already disagree with the premise though.

I wouldn’t hand out 10s at all. Let alone 2 in the same year.

If I ranked them both 10s, they would be literal perfection, and contain equal graphics. It wouldn’t be possible for one to be superior to the other.

ElBrutus
1 week ago#160
I already disagree with the premise though.

I wouldn’t hand out 10s at all. Let alone 2 in the same year.

If I ranked them both 10s, they would be literal perfection, and contain equal graphics. It wouldn’t be possible for one to be superior to the other.
So you can't describe the difference to me, like I asked, but instead try to redirect the conversation towards a side-note? Didn't you just say it shouldn't be so difficult to do? Figured as much. Your argument is baseless.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Is this game a 10/10 for you?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A