• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. If this game didn't have FF, would it receive the same insane devotion ?

User Info: villanut32

villanut32
1 week ago#1
Most posts I read have the games defenders willfully ignoring the games faults. Sometimes after being shown proof of an issue they still refuse to acknowledge it as a problem.

My question is, if this was a new IP would it receive the same reverence?.

User Info: MySnakesSolid

MySnakesSolid
1 week ago#2
The reason there is so much criticism in the first place is precisely because it's FFVII and people expect a lot and like to hate a lot on the series for whatever reason.

What faults are you referring to? Maybe what some people consider "faults" are insignificant to others

And I don't care what this game is called it's still a great game. Not perfect but no game is

villanut32
1 week ago#3
MySnakesSolid posted...
The reason there is so much criticism in the first place is precisely because it's FFVII and people expect a lot and like to hate a lot on the series for whatever reason.

What faults are you referring to? Maybe what some people consider "faults" are insignificant to others

And I don't care what this game is called it's still a great game. Not perfect but no game is
OK fair the Final Fantasy name brings criticism as well as praise, but people don't blissfully ignore the criticism like it doesn't exist.
As for faults, texture issues, wierd story pacing, lack of party control and game length are just a few off the top of my head.

MySnakesSolid
1 week ago#4
Texture issues are minor, I only played on PS4 Pro so maybe that's why

Weird story pacing I agree in parts, chapter 14 for example slows everything down at a critical point but not really an issue for the majority of the game

Lack of party control? How? You control all of your party by switching between characters and issuing commands. You sound like that "The Undying" guy

Game length is fine. Some people may have rushed through it but I spent close to 50hrs on my first playthrough looking around, trying things out in battle etc. It's still longer than most games. I have done 3 playthroughs, twice on normal, once on hard, got the plat and spent 140hrs on the game. Money well spent

I'm all for acknowledging genuine flaws and discussing on how things can be improved but some people just moan about minor things and make them out to be far worse than they actually are.

villanut32
1 week ago#5
MySnakesSolid posted...
Texture issues are minor, I only played on PS4 Pro so maybe that's why

Weird story pacing I agree in parts, chapter 14 for example slows everything down at a critical point but not really an issue for the majority of the game

Lack of party control? How? You control all of your party by switching between characters and issuing commands. You sound like that "The Undying" guy

Game length is fine. Some people may have rushed through it but I spent close to 50hrs on my first playthrough looking around, trying things out in battle etc. It's still longer than most games. I have done 3 playthroughs, twice on normal, once on hard, got the plat and spent 140hrs on the game. Money well spent

I'm all for acknowledging genuine flaws and discussing on how things can be improved but some people just moan about minor things and make them out to be far worse than they actually are.
First the texture issues are an established problem, just because you didn't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist and are hardly minor.
Adain on length because you completed it in 50h doesn't mean that's the normal.
Compared to similar rpgs the game is short and not what was promised in the lead up to release.
Lack of party control is forced party members. This was a main matter of contention with XIII, so why is OK in remake. (you can't use because of story because that leads into most of the game being cut).

MySnakesSolid
1 week ago#6
villanut32 posted...
First the texture issues are an established problem, just because you didn't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist and are hardly minor.
Adain on length because you completed it in 50h doesn't mean that's the normal.
Compared to similar rpgs the game is short and not what was promised in the lead up to release.
Lack of party control is forced party members. This was a main matter of contention with XIII, so why is OK in remake. (you can't use because of story because that leads into most of the game being cut).

Texture issues are definitely minor especially if you have a Pro, but if others feel it's such a big deal then that's fair.

"Adain" say what? It's not a short game it's still longer than most games. I can complete OG in 25hrs and many other RPGs in less than 30hrs so your point is weak

They didn't promise it would longer than most RPGs you're making things up

Lack of controls makes no sense to me but okay, if you have an issue with it then fine.

None of these are really faults to me sounds like you're clutching at straws

Hate to use FFXV as an example again but it's my most recently played game so... genuine faults would be things like:
+ Camera angles are terrible, e.g. behind bushes and trees so you can't see what's going on
+ You can't lose a fight if you have enough Elixirs and Phoenix Downs. Too easy. No challenge
+ Half of the story is outside of the actual game so unless you buy all the other content you're missing out

Real faults vs straw clutching

villanut32
1 week ago#7
MySnakesSolid posted...
Texture issues are definitely minor especially if you have a Pro, but if others feel it's such a big deal then that's fair.

"Adain" say what? It's not a short game it's still longer than most games. I can complete OG in 25hrs and many other RPGs in less than 30hrs so your point is weak

They didn't promise it would longer than most RPGs you're making things up

Lack of controls makes no sense to me but okay, if you have an issue with it then fine.

None of these are really faults to me sounds like you're clutching at straws

Hate to use FFXV as an example again but it's my most recently played game so... genuine faults would be things like:
+ Camera angles are terrible, e.g. behind bushes and trees so you can't see what's going on
+ You can't lose a fight if you have enough Elixirs and Phoenix Downs. Too easy. No challenge
+ Half of the story is outside of the actual game so unless you buy all the other content you're missing out

Real faults vs straw clutching
Now you are just proving my point, no discussion just I'm straw clutching.
Remake faults
Texture issues.
Forced party.
Uneeded story changes.
Changes to main character behaviour to fit in to amine cliche's.
Whispers.
Cloud has meta knowledge as early as chapter 2. As does Arieth and Sepheroith.
The game is a forced corridor simulation with extended playtime with the use of stagger bars..
The combat is lifted straight from xenoblade chronicles.
And yes 30 hours is short for a first run through of a rpg. I can complete Fallout 3 in 6 hours doesn't make it short.

MySnakesSolid
1 week ago#8
I am discussing though... and you are straw clutching.

"Forced Party" is not a fault. It's just you don't like it. That's up to you, it's not a fault of the game.

"The game is a forced corridor simulation with extended playtime with the use of stagger bars" That's just being a child. Yeah there are some linear paths and slow corridors but you're exaggerating massively. Stagger bars are part of the mechanics, if you don't like it move on.

"The combat is lifted straight from xenoblade chronicles". Petty. Not even going to debate this point it's just a mental thing to say.

The only valid points you have are related to the changes in the story. I'm not too keen on the whispers or defying destiny etc. either but it depends where they go with it. Time will tell. And some people like the changes so whether or not this is a "fault" is subjective.

You don't like the game obviously, and you're not constructive in what you say either you're just trolling. Grow up kid.

MySnakesSolid posted...

And I don't care what this game is called it's still a great game.

Good point. I've never played the original and was never a fan. I had no idea about this game and how it was supposed to be. My judgment wasn't clouded by nostalgia like many others, so someone like me saying this is a very well-done game means a lot. As a person who's not an RPG fan and doesn't have the patience for them, I never thought I would end up loving this game. There is so much in this game that's done incredibly well.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Gigaraver

Gigaraver
1 week ago#10
And this is why some people believe the board is full of "insane devotion".

More like "You like a thing I think you shouldn't like, and that's insane".

And yet on more than one occasion I've been labeled a shill for daring to challenge people's reasons for disliking elements of the game. There's extremism on both sides, and topics like this don't help or clarify anything. Just perpetuating the problem.
Nintendo Switch FC - SW-1793-0112-3629
NNID - Hyperdon
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. If this game didn't have FF, would it receive the same insane devotion ?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A