• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Why are you people so ungrateful?

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
1 week ago#231
This topic is getting too derailed.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
1 week ago#232
1Tekkaman posted...
I like the old Class VII, but believe the very existence of the new is a mistake.

They grew up, but the idea behind Class VII remains.
I thought they were great, but to each their own.
Courage and wit have served thee well. Thou hast been promoted to the next level.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#233
lightningxiii-2 posted...
This topic is getting too derailed.
It was based on a false premise, so. . . .

Tiael posted...
They grew up, but the idea behind Class VII remains.
I thought they were great, but to each their own.
The problem is the new gang crowd out the old when it's still the original cast's adventure. It was hard enough to give everyone proper characterization when it was just Rean and friends; Elliot and Gaius tend to be ignored for large stretches in the first two games. Adding a new class can only exacerbate the situation.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
1 week ago#234
You'll positively love Cold Steel IV since it's more a culmination of Sky, Crossbell and Cold Steel as opposed to solely Cold Steel and has roughly 39 playable characters.

Though arguably Gaius couldn't really see his arc come to fruition until he graduated and you'll see more of that in 4. More Elliot too.

Hajimari/Trails of the Beginning has 50+.

Courage and wit have served thee well. Thou hast been promoted to the next level.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general
(edited 1 week ago)
lightningxiii-2 posted...
I'm referring to The game awards which seems to be the most important one or at least the one which is talked about the most.

It's most talked about because they pay companies to show new trailers for their games during it.
bloop

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
1 week ago#236
The_Undying_84 posted...
It's most talked about because they pay companies to show new trailers for their games during it.

Anyway, my point still stands.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
The_Undying_84 posted...
Violence doesn't necessary have any negative impact on game play, and sure as hell doesn't cost any extra, so comparing it to gacha mechanics is rather ridiculous.
Gameplay wasn't the issue at hand, though, it's the fact that what's popular and profitable takes development resources away from making better, more interesting games. The West's obsession with low-brow or graphic violence usually means "We made a new shooter, pow pow!" and if you don't enjoy FPS/TPS games, GTA clones, or the like, then yes the comparison to gacha trash is apt.
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
1 week ago#238
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
the fact that what's popular and profitable takes development resources away from making better, more interesting games.

Sigh ain't that the truth.

User Info: sawplo

sawplo
1 week ago#239
The_Undying_84 posted...
Yes, some turn based RPG are stupid and still have AI - I don't like those ones or play them.
The point is an ARPG HAS TO have AI control to multiple party members, where a turn based RPG doesn't. Therefore a turn based RPG CAN be good, where a (party based) ARPG always sucks.

You are arguing against the JRPG genre. JRPGs are a subset of RPGs where control is taken away from the player.

Examples:

1) Your characters are often predefined. In fact, in JRPGs, you, the player, are not really the character. The characters, their personalities, and their roles in the story are already written. You also don't really control who is in your party and who leaves/joins at any particular point.

2) Story and progression are predefined. Your ability to impact the storyline, and its progression within the game, is very limited.

3) Exploration and game progression are predefined. Again, you don't have much control here either.

The history of the JRPG genre, and essentially it's core defining factor within the RPG genre, is the fact that these types of RPGs are based on taking away control from the player. It is a streamlined RPG, making everything easier, because the game guides the player through everything.

It seems you just don't like JRPGs. You should stick to other RPGs that give you more control. Control over your character (design, role, path, other party characters). Control over the story (impact, decision making, progression). Control over exploration.

I am not sure why you are complaining about not having 100% control in a JRPG. That's the whole point of JRPGs. Taking control away from the player. Streamlining the whole process. Even if you argue you had more control over battling, this is debatable. You only select the command. The game did everything else. You don't actually execute it. You don't actually "battle" the way an action game allows you to battle.

Action games have more interactive battles, where you can control how you dodge, when you dodge, the progression of your attacks, pulling off combos, even spell casting.

Still, I am not arguing which battle system gives the player more control. My point is that the JRPG genre is defined by taking control away from the player. If you have been playing RPGs long enough, you should realize this. I am not sure why you continue to play JRPGs if you want (as close to) 100% control.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Why are you people so ungrateful?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A