• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?
Perkolator posted...
And then there's FFXV, with s***ty combat and a s***ty story.
But really good characters! '^__^
That's one of those weird things I've been noticing as I play more and more RPGs. Especially with JRPGs, you often get really awesome characters, but a kind of crap overall story. But you kinda don't care because you just love the characters. Maybe that's just me.
Currently Playing: Xenoblade DE, Animal Crossing: NH

User Info: ElBrutus

ElBrutus
1 week ago#342
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
But really good characters! '^__^
That's one of those weird things I've been noticing as I play more and more RPGs. Especially with JRPGs, you often get really awesome characters, but a kind of crap overall story. But you kinda don't care because you just love the characters. Maybe that's just me.
Good character concept is meaningless without good writing. Characters are assets that are used in writing to create a good story. The appearances or weaponry are secondary and doesn't in itself make any character good. But that's just me.
Top 5 jRPG's: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Grandia (PS1), Suikoden II (PS1), Dragon Quest V (SNES), Persona 5 (PS4)
(edited 1 week ago)
ElBrutus posted...
Good character concept is meaningless without good writing. Characters are assets that are used in writing to create a good story. But that's just me.

I actually care about the characters more, especially the main one I play as.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

ElBrutus
1 week ago#344
lightningxiii-2 posted...
I actually care about the characters more, especially the main one I play as.
The story is told through characters. The characters need a story to make the reader/watcher/player care about them. Those two things are heavily dependent on each other and shouldn't be compared. They are parts of the same whole.

OK... I'll shut up now...
Top 5 jRPG's: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Grandia (PS1), Suikoden II (PS1), Dragon Quest V (SNES), Persona 5 (PS4)
(edited 1 week ago)
ElBrutus posted...
Good character concept is meaningless without good writing. Characters are assets that are used in writing to create a good story. The appearances or weaponry are secondary and doesn't in itself make any character good. But that's just me.

ElBrutus posted...
The story is told through characters. The characters need a story to make the reader/watcher/player care about them. Those two things are heavily dependent on each other and shouldn't be compared. They are parts of the same whole.

OK... I'll shut up now...
IDK man, one of the most well-regarded RPG stories is the Trails series, and those stories live and die mostly by the characters. Sky 1 is such a slow burn on the plot progression, but what keeps players invested is the strong and lovable characterization. It matters less that what the characters are doing is mostly really low-stakes exposition, because the characters are so well-realized and make for compelling story content all by themselves.
Good world-building and world design contributes here as well. I think Cold Steel especially excels in these areas, as its actual plot structure and progression is rather poor.

EDIT: Y'know, that example might be more the exception than the rule. I should specify that I think the heart of your observation is both fair and correct.
(edited 1 week ago)

ElBrutus
1 week ago#346
Can't say anything about Sky since I haven't played that much, but must agree that Cold Steel has slow progression, although it does pick up later on and with a boom too. Stories with low-stakes are still stories though. I usually prefer to talk about writing, which covers both story and characterization.
(edited 1 week ago)
Story, and it's not really close.

Hate to say it, but 90% of RPGs, you can get away with just spamming attack with the occasional heal. But I'm still willing to stick with them if I find the story interesting.
This sentence has five words. This sentence has eight words. Only one sentence in this signature is true.

User Info: G-O-F

G-O-F
1 week ago#348
VideoboysaysCube posted...
Story, and it's not really close.

Hate to say it, but 90% of RPGs, you can get away with just spamming attack with the occasional heal. But I'm still willing to stick with them if I find the story interesting.
Yeah, that is why something like Resonance of Fate shocked me, that thing was really different and sadly i didn't get to play it fully but i think when im able to it might become one of my Top 10 RPGs
Best Games of 2019 list: DMC V,Sekiro,REmake 2,Control,FE:TH,Code Vein. Playing 2020: Yakuza 7, P5Royal, DOOM, FFVIIR, NMH III, RE3, Cyberpunk.
VideoboysaysCube posted...
Hate to say it, but 90% of RPGs, you can get away with just spamming attack with the occasional heal.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but that really hasn't been my experience with RPGs of late. A few notable examples off the top of my head:

Nier Automata: an ARPG that definitely requires defense and strategic thinking as much as it does pure offense.
Octopath Traveler: even mobs require you to use multiple different tools at your disposal
Dragon Quest XI: classic turn-based battle mechanics tuned to a zen-like balance that definitely does not allow for attack/heal spam in any realistic manner
Valkyria Chronicles 4: self-explanatory
Fire Emblem Three Houses: the foundation of the combat mechanics here is limited by design. Units can only do so much, so I'm not sure using them as designed qualifies as "spamming Attack".
Cold Steel 3: spamming Attack here will get you killed really quickly, and the mechanics are designed more around never even getting hit, rather than taking damage and needing to heal.
Final Fantasy VII Remake: it is literally impossible to get anywhere in this game without using ATB abilities and defensive options.
Xenoblade DE: not sure this qualifies either, although it sort of automates the "attack spam" for the player. There are so many other things to keep track of in battles here besides your HP and healing occasionally.

So yeah, that's basically all of the RPGs I've played recently and none of them allow for "spamming attack with the occasional heal", so I think your 90% figure might be a little unfair. Still, my experience is strictly anecdotal and doesn't prove anything.
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
Nier Automata

Why is everyone talking about this game everywhere? Should I try it?
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A