• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#321
Okay, even though I disagree, I can understand rating gameplay as more important even in an RPG. What bugs me is the attitude on display from a lot of people taking that position, a definite sense of smug superiority, at times fairly dripping condescension. Is that really necessary?
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
1 week ago#322
1Tekkaman posted...
Okay, even though I disagree, I can understand rating gameplay as more important even in an RPG. What bugs me is the attitude on display from a lot of people taking that position, a definite sense of smug superiority, at times fairly dripping condescension. Is that really necessary?

*holds up a mirror*

It’s a fair point, but if you’re going to ask that question you’d better be damn sure you don’t share the guilt.
"I'd thank the gods, but you seem to be taking them out at an alarming rate." - Hargan, Sarn Encampment

User Info: OldKye

OldKye
1 week ago#323
1Tekkaman posted...
a lot of people taking that position, a definite sense of smug superiority, at times fairly dripping condescension. Is that really necessary?
Most people are not use to disagreement these days, they look for what seems to be the popular opinion(like say the most voted in the poll or highest rated post on other sites) and expect to be praised for taking the side of the group.

That's why when they do get pushback you see them lash out with personal attacks as they take disagreement personally and as a mark against them as a person.

They can't separate their argument from themselves and thus can't separate their pride from it either.
- "I admit it feels awkward at first but after a while you get used to having OldKye moving within you. Like a thought parasite. Or excellent lover."

User Info: LadyofFantasy

LadyofFantasy
1 week ago#324
I would probably say both I want the gameplay and story to be balanced.
Am I asking for the impossible here?

User Info: OldKye

OldKye
1 week ago#325
LadyofFantasy posted...
You would be asking for a balanced and enjoyable game.

In which case yes it's impossible, this is a zero sum game that's either all gameplay or all story begone heretic! /sarcasm

Ideally a good game would do well in all aspects.
- "I admit it feels awkward at first but after a while you get used to having OldKye moving within you. Like a thought parasite. Or excellent lover."

User Info: CDprojectblue

CDprojectblue
1 week ago#326
story by far

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
1 week ago#327
It depends on whether the game leans more heavily on story or battle system. The more a game leans on something, the better it has to be or it'll be a problem. A shocking insight, I know... so it depends on each individual case, but obviously, RPGs tend to be quite story-heavy. Mass Effect, for instance, went from having a great story with mediocre-at-best combat, to completely messing up the story while having (so I hear, didn't play it myself though) great combat, and that is basically universally regarded as a huge regression in quality. Some people might still prefer it because they just like mechanics and challenge over story in general, and that's fine, but it's generally going to be regarded as a net loss.

I will say this: a bad story is unsalvageable, but for battle systems, ideally you at least have difficulty options. So if a battle system is truly awful but the story is good, you can turn it down and enjoy what's worth enjoying. I know some people play The Witcher games this way. So if you intend story to be a major part of your RPG, you had better make sure to get that right, or there might be little reason to even play the game in the first place. If your battle system ends up not being very good... eh, that didn't stop a good chunk of history's most beloved RPGs from being just that. I certainly don't want to dismiss the value of great mechanics, but every game has to have its priorities as a piece of art.
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: kirbserker

kirbserker
1 week ago#328
LadyofFantasy posted...

No, and especially not if you also accept one being slightly better than the other.

For me, the two are important for vastly different reasons. Story is why I play the rpgs, but gameplay is where I'm having fun playing them.
Please quantify and articulate how I am wrong. I know I can be wrong about anything. Just saying it helps no one.
MalakTawus posted...
No, it's you just showing your ignorance thinking that my two statements contradict each other

No, you just showed your ignorance. Get over it and improve yourself.

My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
1 week ago#330
MySnakesSolid posted...
Both are equally important

If an RPG had the best story ever made but a shallow and easy battle system (e.g FFXV) I wouldn't enjoy it.

If it had a great battle system but a poor story, I wouldn't enjoy it either.

If I had to choose one I would prefer a good battle system because at least I can still enjoy the gameplay. But I wouldn't buy a game like that

Lol, this right here pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Currently playing:
FFVII Remake (40%) | Streets of Rage 4 (88%) | Ridge Racer 7 (82%) | R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 | Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A