• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?

User Info: InfinityOver0

InfinityOver0
1 week ago#31
Gameplay. If you're playing video games for the story, you are in the wrong medium
Science works
Story should always take a backseat to gameplay

User Info: FireMage72

FireMage72
1 week ago#32
InfinityOver0 posted...
Gameplay. If you're playing video games for the story, you are in the wrong medium
Actually you're in one of the best mediums if so

User Info: FuryOfPolaris

FuryOfPolaris
1 week ago#33
Both are important, almost equally so. Personally, I lean a little bit more towards story than gameplay.

User Info: Gun_Empress

Gun_Empress
1 week ago#34
Honestly both are equally important. I stopped playing the Witcher 3 due to its gameplay, despite it having an amazing story/lore. Star Ocean 4 has a fantastic battle system but a god awful story/lore/characters so I stopped also.

A game isn't just it's combat system or story, it's a big mix of that plus many more aspects.
Order and Chaos

User Info: Shinobuden

Shinobuden
1 week ago#35
Both. If I had to pick one though then it's story for me. Doesn't matter how good everything else is if I can't get invested in the story.

User Info: ContraPop

ContraPop
1 week ago#36
If I am playing a game for the first time, story has the edge but if the combat system is not compelling, I will probably not replay.

User Info: InfinityOver0

InfinityOver0
1 week ago#37
FireMage72 posted...
Actually you're in one of the best mediums if so

Oh yeah, the writing in games is just so much better than tv shows, movies, novels and comic books. Oh wait, no it isnt, its extremely amateurish in comparison
Science works
Story should always take a backseat to gameplay
Trickster-0 posted...
The most important thing for a GAME is gameplay.

Fact. I'm really surprised to see how many people prefer the story of a video game. Why don't they watch movies instead? Focusing on the story is not good for game development. Games that put too much emphasis on the story tend to have weak gameplay and very low replay value.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#39
lightningxiii-2 posted...
Fact. I'm really surprised to see how many people prefer the story of a video game. Why don't they watch movies instead? Focusing on the story is not good for game development. Games that put too much emphasis on the story tend to have weak gameplay and very low replay value.
Why are you so surprised when, as I pointed out before, it is the emphasis on story that separates RPGs from other genres? And to say story focus limits replay value is nonsensical in the extreme.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Xyphas

Xyphas
1 week ago#40
lightningxiii-2 posted...

Story isnt just cutscenes though. Thats the problem with this argument. Everything from interacting with the world, how it interacts with you, interactions with characters and enemies, even the music help convey story.

Movies are also significantly shorter. What makes rpgs fun is the amount of interactivity you get placing yourself into these longer stories. I mean people probably like rpgs because they remind them of longer movies or TV series, yet still a game at the same time.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A