• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?

User Info: Susumurin

Susumurin
1 week ago#21
I just need a story to be sensible and functional. When I think back to my favorite games, why they are, almost always involves the battle system in some ways. If the story is good enough that it can get me to want to see what happens next, then it’s done its job. I consider that a pretty low bar. I’m not expecting The Illiad.
Now Playing: NBA 2K20 (X1) Pokemon SS (Switch), God Wars (Switch) Nightshade (Switch), Super Mega Baseball 3 (Switch)
Next: Kingdom Battle (Switch)

User Info: ChaseArni

ChaseArni
1 week ago#22
Between Story and Battle System, Story.

Now if you said between Story and Gameplay, that would be harder to lean one way or the other.

JRPGs might be tied to combat, but not all RPGs are. Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing are RPGs, for example.

User Info: aeroslimshady

aeroslimshady
1 week ago#23
The combar system by far. But I'm a bit OCD and the reason I even play RPGs to begin with is cause I enjoy tinkering with menus and submenus and equipment and abilities and bla bla bla and yeah. I sometimes dream about RPG battle mechanics

User Info: IreVH

IreVH
1 week ago#24
Both story and combat system are important on first playthroughs.
Combat system for succeeding playthrough as it determines the replayability of a game.
FF7 Remake no damage/no limits and summon battles playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38_IcZR5L8guxo5mnLSyRsdqPsQw7KBO

User Info: Trickster-0

Trickster-0
1 week ago#25
The most important thing for a GAME is gameplay.

User Info: JamesBR27

JamesBR27
1 week ago#26
Story first and foremost.
Gameplay, sound design, graphics.. these are all the carriers of the story.
34 Years Playing Video-Games.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#27
JamesBR27 posted...
Story first and foremost.
Gameplay, sound design, graphics.. these are all the carriers of the story.
Well put.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: FireMage72

FireMage72
1 week ago#28
Story. RPGs have always existed as way to tell a story with gamplay attached to interact with

User Info: redbuck

redbuck
1 week ago#29
This is a tough one. I was originally going to say gameplay because a good story with bad gameplay can be watched on youtube, but I was also thinking how I watch videos of games with good gameplay, regardless of the story, because I'm not very good at them myself: fighters, tactical RPGs, RTS. I suppose I'll still go with gameplay though. I can tune out a bad story, and still enjoy the game itself, especially with skippable cutscenes.

User Info: InfinityOver0

InfinityOver0
1 week ago#30
Cryfall posted...
The battle system. It's a interactive game not a book.

This should go without saying
Science works
Story should always take a backseat to gameplay
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. What's more important in an RPG? Story or Battle System?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A