• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Something to appreciate about Final Fantasy...

User Info: tfwnolife

tfwnolife
2 months ago#1
...is that it always tries new things, for better or for worse, in order to keep things fresh and have it's own identity.

I say this because you have Dragon Quest, a series which in a sense is the complete antithetical of Final Fantasy. For as long as DQ has gone, it's always been the most typical kind of JRPG out there. Nothing about the games (other than the first one since it was the first of it's kind) ever really stands out because they're so dedicated to upholding the tradition of DQ being the "yep, this is a JRPG alright" series. Don't get me wrong, Dragon Quest is a solid series, and likely much more consistent with it's quality than Final Fantasy is, but I have to wonder if that's because the developers of DQ are too worried to leave their comfort zone to ever really try to go above and beyond.
Posts look better with sigs.

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
2 months ago#2
It seems like the most typical kind of JRPG because it was the JRPG that set the standard that games like FF and Pokemon followed.

This same kind of criticism is exactly what I hear about Superman in the comics fandom. But just because Spider-Man or Batman is more popular doesn't mean Superman should be like them (main reason why his recent movies did so poorly). Superman, like Dragon Quest, takes pride in being the first of his kind and was actually the one that influenced Spider-Man and Batman (like Pokemon and Final Fantasy in relation to DQ in JRPG terms).
"I want to remind you that life is an RPG, so have fun!" - Yuji Horii

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
2 months ago#3
crono12064 posted...
It seems like the most typical kind of JRPG because it was the JRPG that set the standard that games like FF and Pokemon followed.

This same kind of criticism is exactly what I hear about Superman in the comics fandom. But just because Spider-Man or Batman is more popular doesn't mean Superman should be like them (main reason why his recent movies did so poorly). Superman, like Dragon Quest, takes pride in being the first of his kind and was actually the one that influenced Spider-Man and Batman (like Pokemon and Final Fantasy in relation to DQ in JRPG terms).

Haha, it's so true but the thing with this is that Superman IS better than Spider-Man and Batman and more widely known across the entire globe, just like Final Fantasy is better than Dragon Quest and more known.
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3

User Info: NashLatkje1

NashLatkje1
2 months ago#4
I feel the current group have run out of new ideas that are good as we haven't had a good FF since 12 IMHO. Instead of returning to tried and true things that work they keep getting more away from what draws fans to the franchise. A lot of older (35+) gamers I talk to or read posts from don't care for the series anymore. It's time to clean house and move on to new people that might recapture the magic.

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
2 months ago#5
Dragon Quest is a much better series than Final Fantasy in every way save music. Sugiyama needs to retire and let someone else compose.
Top 10: TP > BotW > BD > BS: EL > DQIX > ALttP > FFXIII > HK > FE: Fates > Pokemon D/P/P

User Info: anime02

anime02
2 months ago#6
Thrasher7170 posted...
Dragon Quest is a much better series than Final Fantasy in every way save music. Sugiyama needs to retire and let someone else compose.
The only dragon quest game I played is 1 on the NES yeeeeears ago and dragon quest builders 2.

If dragon quest's writing is as....lets say lack luster.....as dragon quest builders 2 then I would have to disagree.
Since you seem to be a fan, how would you say the writing compares? I mean builders was fun, I am kinda interest in picking up a copy of...i think XI is the latest one?
Who cares about console sales? The same type of people that care about which band of colored helmets can run their handegg acrossed a field the most.

Thrasher7170
2 months ago#7
anime02 posted...
The only dragon quest game I played is 1 on the NES yeeeeears ago and dragon quest builders 2.

If dragon quest's writing is as....lets say lack luster.....as dragon quest builders 2 then I would have to disagree.
Since you seem to be a fan, how would you say the writing compares? I mean builders was fun, I am kinda interest in picking up a copy of...i think XI is the latest one?
Builders 2 had a pretty mediocre excuse plot. The actual main series usually have pretty great stories. XI is no exception, and I recommend it.
Top 10: TP > BotW > BD > BS: EL > DQIX > ALttP > FFXIII > HK > FE: Fates > Pokemon D/P/P

User Info: KarmelCHAOS

KarmelCHAOS
2 months ago#8
This is why I prefer FF to DQ, but I'm just not really a fan of DQ games in general so I'm biased.

User Info: tfwnolife

tfwnolife
2 months ago#9
crono12064 posted...
I'm aware, but that doesn't mean it can't branch out and experiment a bit.
Posts look better with sigs.

Thrasher7170
2 months ago#10
tfwnolife posted...
I'm aware, but that doesn't mean it can't branch out and experiment a bit.
You mean like 9, 10, and 11? Or the multitude of spinoffs?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Something to appreciate about Final Fantasy...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A