• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. JRPG Veteran Opinion On The Game

User Info: Iceassassin25

Iceassassin25
6 days ago#171
Fire emblem pretty much relies on being a Nintendo Title and having lots of waifus to keep it going

I bet the games would get less praise if they where not Nintendo
"The King returns after a sell out tour of holiday camps and working men's clubs"

User Info: Mr_Takisuteni

Mr_Takisuteni
6 days ago#172
Iceassassin25 posted...
Disgaea 5 is easily one of the best JRPGs around

That's a Turn-Based Strategy game. Jesus christ, do these nubfruits ever get anything right?

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
6 days ago#173
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
That's a Turn-Based Strategy game. Jesus christ, do these nubfruits ever get anything right?
So is Tales an ARPG or JRPG?

Mr_Takisuteni
6 days ago#174
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
You're not interested in discussing this anymore, @Mr_Takisuteni ?
Both games also use chapter progression. You use that as a point of criticism for VIIR, yet you praise XBC. Care to elaborate?

Comparing the two games is a blasphemy. Did you not see how open and glorious the world is in XC?

Do you honestly believe FF7R will be that open? Absurd.

Mr_Takisuteni
6 days ago#175
blitz_0623 posted...
So is Tales an ARPG or JRPG?

It's really in between, but I do classify it as JRPG.

Basically, any Japanese RPG that allows you to "pause" or "semi-pause" the game during combat to select options is JRPG. I don't think Souls and Nier Automata allow you to pause during combat to select options.

It gets really tricky because of Tales and Kingdom Hearts games. It's also about the general feel. JRPGs are a lot more relaxed and laid back compared to ARPG. That's how I look at it.

Also, JRPGs have to be "anime-style", not realistic. This is a very important distinction. This is another reason why Tales and KH games are "JRPGs", but not Automata.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Iceassassin25

Iceassassin25
6 days ago#176
Mr_Takisuteni posted...

It's a Japanese RPG so it counts as a JRPG

What's next any of the turn based final fantasy games are not JRPGs then?
"The King returns after a sell out tour of holiday camps and working men's clubs"
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
Comparing the two games is a blasphemy. Did you not see how open and glorious the world is in XC?

Do you honestly believe FF7R will be that open? Absurd.
No I don't, but you said that 7R wouldn't have any exploration because it uses a chapter progression for the plot. Xenoblade uses a chapter progression for the plot and has plenty of exploration. So what other reasons do you have for thinking VIIR won't have exploration?

Also, why is it "blasphemy" to compare Xenoblade and VIIR? They're both JPRGs and they have similar battle systems.
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Civilization VI

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
6 days ago#178
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
Also, JRPGs have to be "anime-style", not realistic. This is a very important distinction. This is another reason why Tales and KH games are "JRPGs", but not Automata.
So is FF not JRPG then since it's not anime-style? More importantly, what makes FFXV different from Nier:A? The point I'm trying to make here is why can't JRPG and ARPG be not mutually exclusive

EDIT: I just saw the whole pause/no-pause argument. That's not a characteristic of a JRPG as proven by Tales. You can't say it's JRPG if it's anime style but backtrack and say it is also JRPG if it pauses combat. That's a weird definition that uses 2 different scenarios
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
6 days ago#179
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
Basically, any Japanese RPG that allows you to "pause" or "semi-pause" the game during combat to select options is JRPG
So, Ys is not a jrpg.
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
Also, JRPGs have to be "anime-style", not realistic.
So, Final Fantasy isn't a jrpg.

Mr_Takisuteni
6 days ago#180
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
No I don't, but you said that 7R wouldn't have any exploration because it uses a chapter progression for the plot. Xenoblade uses a chapter progression for the plot and has plenty of exploration. So what other reasons do you have for thinking VIIR won't have exploration?

Also, why is it "blasphemy" to compare Xenoblade and VIIR? They're both JPRGs and they have similar battle systems.

You are arguing for the sake of arguing and wasting my time. YOU KNOW how big XC world was even in the first few chapters. The freedom level was insane.

Look at the demo of FF7R, do you see any ****ing place to go beside the main story?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. JRPG Veteran Opinion On The Game
  • Post New Message