• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. JRPG Veteran Opinion On The Game

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 days ago#161
Iceassassin25 posted...
Isn't that a JRPG for jobbers?
Excellent story, well-written MC, solid supporting cast, engaging battle system, so no, it isn't for "jobbers."
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: XxGhaleonxX

XxGhaleonxX
3 days ago#162
Cfuson001 posted...
No lunar SSSC? we can't be friends anymore.

This. @Cfuson001 , I’m with you on this statement.
PlayStation: AcetonSkyhigh
Switch: SW-0738-7544-2985
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Iceassassin25

Iceassassin25
3 days ago#163
1Tekkaman posted...
Excellent story, well-written MC, solid supporting cast, engaging battle system, so no, it isn't for "jobbers."

What I was saying was a joke as it's a complete unknown
"The King returns after a sell out tour of holiday camps and working men's clubs"

1Tekkaman
3 days ago#164
Iceassassin25 posted...
My apologies, it can be hard to tell in a text-based medium. Having said that, it being an unknown is just sad; Trails in general has probably the best world-building I've ever seen, and easily better writing than most Final Fantasies.
Iceassassin25 posted...
What? AFAICT Cold Steel is way more well-known and prominent in the RPG scene than the Disgaea series, the 5th installment of which you just cited as "one of the best JRPGs around".
Maybe I'm just too close to the RPG scene, but it feels like everyone talks about Cold Steel these days and nobody is saying anything about Disgaea (my guess is that's because it is and has always been a very subpar franchise).

1Tekkaman posted...
Trails in general has probably the best world-building I've ever seen, and easily better writing than most Final Fantasies
Definitely better world-building because they take their time with it, and the older Trails games have better writing than most FFs, but Cold Steel absolutely does not have better writing than any FF. Heck, some of the NES FFs had more creative plots than Cold Steel.

I get slightly nauseated thinking of a day where an FF plot climaxes with the harem male-power-fantasy self-insert protag attacks a god dragon with a Dead Loli Sword while piloting his giant mech and activating his secret demon power all at the same time while his schoolmates look on. Yuck. I can somewhat look the other way in Cold Steel, because it does so many things well, but I desperately do not want other franchises to sell off all their dignity the way Trails has.
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Civilization VI
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: Iceassassin25

Iceassassin25
2 days ago#166
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
What? AFAICT Cold Steel is way more well-known and prominent in the RPG scene than the Disgaea series, the 5th installment of which you just cited as "one of the best JRPGs around".
Maybe I'm just too close to the RPG scene, but it feels like everyone talks about Cold Steel these days and nobody is saying anything about Disgaea (my guess is that's because it is and has always been a very subpar franchise).

Cold Steel is hardly ever talked about apart from on GameFAQ though......nowhere else does it get talked about from what I have seen

And calling Disgaea a subpar franchise is a mistake especially when Fire Emblem exists
"The King returns after a sell out tour of holiday camps and working men's clubs"

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
2 days ago#167
Mr_Takisuteni posted...
I don't consider Nier Automata or Dark Souls JRPGs. To me, those are action RPGs.
Just for reference. What do you consider Star Ocean and Ys to be, then?
I frequent a couple other RPG communities, and Trails is a favorite in all of them, with the Cold Steel games regularly getting year-end award nominations.

And Fire Emblem is superior to Disgaea in every conceivable way, imo.
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Civilization VI

1Tekkaman
2 days ago#169
VayneSolo posted...
Just for reference. What do you consider Star Ocean and Ys to be, then?
Tales series, too.

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
2 days ago#170
1Tekkaman posted...
Tales series, too.
Yeah. That too.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. JRPG Veteran Opinion On The Game
  • Post New Message