• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. You know, they could have just remade the entire game instead of padding Midgar

User Info: ChaoticNeutral

ChaoticNeutral
1 month ago#1
What other reasons for padding Midgar did they have other than milking the fans for multiple releases?

The success of FFXV having comical amounts of unreleased, unfinished post game DLC is why

User Info: jordina

jordina
1 month ago#2
Probably would have been the most expensive and largest videogame of all time if these production values are anything to go by.

ChaoticNeutral
1 month ago#3
jordina posted...
Probably would have been the most expensive and largest videogame of all time if these production values are anything to go by.
The amount of content they are putting into padding a 4 hour section of the original game could have been put towards literally remaking the entire damn game

User Info: jordina

jordina
1 month ago#4
ChaoticNeutral posted...
The amount of content they are putting into padding a 4 hour section of the original game could have been put towards literally remaking the entire damn game

We will soon find out. Midgar did make up a good chunk of the originals script though which is easy to forget because of how the game is paced with all that gameplay after kalm.

User Info: King_Shortt_IX

King_Shortt_IX
1 month ago#5
Square Enix could have, but they went for something more ambitious by re-imagining Final Fantasy VII instead of just doing a straight remake of the original game.
This is where the magic happens

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
1 month ago#6
They didn't pad out Midgar until multiple games were required. Multiple games were required, and they padded out Midgar to make up for it. Unique locations require a lot of work, to remake all of FFVII's locations at a scale that doesn't come across as comical in a modern presentation was too much for a single project. So they remake a portion of it, and pad it out with gameplay content, because a rat-killing sidequest in an already-existing location takes relatively little developmental effort. Practically none if it doesn't have unique cutscenes.

If it was all about milking the fans, they wouldn't make multiple full games, even with DLC potential. They'd just make one, and use a microtransaction-heavy live-service model.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
1 month ago#7
ChaoticNeutral posted...

With these production values, it wouldn't have mattered. The "padding" is because of the effort they are putting into graphics, as jordina already told you.

The only way I could see them remaking the whole game in one go is if they scaled back in the graphics. Though to be fair, having the highest production values when it comes to graphics is more or less in line with the spirit of the original FFVII. After all, Square's move to Sony in the first place is because of their ambitions to have a cinematic FF entry.
"I want to remind you that life is an RPG, so have fun!" - Yuji Horii

User Info: vanishingwings

vanishingwings
1 month ago#8
I agree. I mean, unless the main campaign of each part alone is going to be 40+ hours (which I very much doubt, especially for this first part), I don't see the point in splitting it up. Honestly? I think the graphics are what's going to be taking up much of the space/gb. It's something we saw with ffxv. But it is what it is.
here to enjoy discussing games ~

User Info: EAims

EAims
1 month ago#9
Itt we learn tc has no clue how game development works.
A b c d e f guy, h I j k l m n o buddy, q r s t u fwend, w x eh! and (pfft). These are the Canadian ABC's, Susie likes hairy b**** what do you think of these?

ChaoticNeutral
1 month ago#10
EAims posted...
Itt we learn tc has no clue how game development works.
But you're an expert I'm sure?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. You know, they could have just remade the entire game instead of padding Midgar
  • Topic Archived