• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The generic side-quests introduced is concerning

User Info: digidevilwil

digidevilwil
2 days ago#141
Lukas455555 posted...
Unmless they go KH route levels do matter in squenix jrpgs. About the sidequests are you forgetting about wutai for some reason? It's totally missable and is a nice change of pace.
Level has not mattered for over a decade in SE JRPGs, in fact games like XIII even had % based attacks rather than raw stat damage, this came into amazing effect during NCU runs in XIII-2. Customization and player skill triumphs level in the vast majority of RPGs after the PS1 era. Also Wutai was nice, but it probably won't even be a "sidequest" in this remake, because it shouldn't even have been a sidequest in the original (just like Yuffie and Vincent should not have been optional and probably will not be in this remake) There was a lot of stuff in old JRPGs that were optional and definitely shouldn't have been, and I would hardly classify that as a real side quest. Nobody would want to finish FF7 without doing things like getting Yuffie/Vincent or going to Wutai unless they were doing some special type of playthrough.

Sidequests should be interesting, but they should also not be major game elements that are time sensitive or missable. They should be things you won't mind skipping over, or they should not be time sensitive if they are significant in design.
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/swillo
Twitter - @PandaKingEX, 3rd Place at EVO for Pokken Tournament.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: Necronmon

Necronmon
2 days ago#142
So you diss optional side quests and only think a side quest should be filler? Your tastes get more and more horrible each time you post.
Vincent and Yuffie added to replayability.

digidevilwil
2 days ago#144
Necronmon posted...
So you diss optional side quests and only think a side quest should be filler? Your tastes get more and more horrible each time you post.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I said that certain optional things are too valueable to be optional (that's a praise if anything). I also straight up listed how you obtain a bunch of critical gameplay content but there isn't even a proper quest or challenge attached to it. My taste is more than fine.

I said that a sidequest should be something you won't mind missing, or if it is something you would mind missing, it shouldn't be time sensitive in design.

digidevilwil
2 days ago#145
darkphoenix181 posted...
Vincent and Yuffie added to replayability.
Naa, in Chrono Cross going different story routes for different party outcomes with new game + was replayability. Yuffie and Vincent was like I possibly didn't know they existed and now I missed them and I want them now. I gotta start the game over.
(edited 2 days ago)
digidevilwil posted...
Naa, in Chrono Cross going different story routes for different party outcomes was replayability. Yuffie and Vincent was like I possibly didn't know they existed and now I missed them and I want them now I gotta start the game over.

There is no need to want them unless you use them on your party.

That is the beauty of FF7. Who is in your party actually mattered.

If you unlocked Yuffie and Vincent on first play and used them instead of other cast, you still need to replay the game again.

If you chose Yuffie for the date, you didn't get the others.

User Info: Xyphas

Xyphas
2 days ago#147
Kaliesto posted...
I pray hope so, I hope I'm just freaking out for nothing.

In my opinion, if you are freaking out over any game release, you set your expectations so impossibly high that you can only be disappointed in the end.

digidevilwil
2 days ago#148
darkphoenix181 posted...
There is no need to want them unless you use them on your party.

That is the beauty of FF7. Who is in your party actually mattered.

If you unlocked Yuffie and Vincent on first play and used them instead of other cast, you still need to replay the game again.

If you chose Yuffie for the date, you didn't get the others.
You can use every character throughout a single playthrough effectively, or at least try them all and settle on what your ideal team is. Like I said though, I really don't think VIncent and Yuffie will even be optional at all in this remake. Would be crazy to even consider the idea, since nobody sees them as optional characters at this point. Vincent an "optional" character, got his own video game before any of the non optional characters did. The date thing is fair, and they are adding chapter select in this remake, and have referenced the chance to see branching choices, so this is the perfect feature for allowing us to replay things like that when the time comes.
(edited 2 days ago)
digidevilwil posted...
You can use every character throughout a single playthrough effectively, or at least try them all and settle on what your ideal team is. Like I said though, I really don't think VIncent and Yuffie will even be optional at all in this remake. Would be crazy to even consider the idea, since nobody sees them as optional characters at this point. Vincent an "optional" character, got his own video game before any of the non optional characters did. The date thing is fair, and they are adding chapter select in this remake, and have referenced the chance to see branching choices, so this is the perfect feature for allowing us to replay things like that when the time comes.

FF7 has party specific dialogue and interactions.

If you value these, best to fo main cast in 1 play, 2nd play use others, etc.
Btw chapter select for the date would be bad.

In og FF7, the date was calculated from the start of the game in the firsr choice you said to Aerith and Tifa.

Then it continued thoughout.

Wasn't like cheap bioware one choice and have sex scene trash.
(edited 2 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The generic side-quests introduced is concerning
  • Post New Message