• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The generic side-quests introduced is concerning

User Info: Kaliesto

Kaliesto
1 week ago#1
Square Enix clearly hasn't learned their lesson regarding past failed attempts at this, back when they were Square Soft they actually made meaningful side quests (see Final Fantasy 9 as the one prime example of this).

"Rat Problem" is not exactly heartening because it indicates they're going to pad this game out by killing X-number of monsters and probably other similar quests that play out like that. Look that s*** doesn't fly anymore, and it has been done to death for years now. It was not fun then and it is not fun now, and every time a game company tried to pull this s*** that it just made the game more tedious than actually engaging/fun.

Look I love Square Enix to a point, but I'm not blind either.

I don't know what kind of Game Scenario writers they're hiring these days, but clearly don't have much of a imagination going on.

If you're not going to make meaningful side-quests then your energy is better spent in the other fields of this game rather than waste time and resources on making generic bulls***, I really want to slap the person who thought this was a good idea.
Gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat DramaFAQs-misterbum
(edited 1 week ago)

Kaliesto
1 week ago#2
I just want to say that I could be just overreacting, and this is all nothing.

But Square Enix has been known to churn out generic side-quest s*** in the more recent video games that I wouldn't consider fun.

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
1 week ago#3
This was a given and discussed in depth the moment they said this would be in parts.

Since then the board has been split with people admitting this was happening and those who denied it vehemently.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Guru_Clef

Guru_Clef
1 week ago#4
Why do we need multiple topics on this? Smh
And do we know if they’re mandatory? Maybe you can skip them. Maybe you get story related info when you complete them. I really don’t see the big deal either way.

darkphoenix181
1 week ago#5
Guru_Clef posted...
Why do we need multiple topics on this? Smh
And do we know if they’re mandatory? Maybe you can skip them. Maybe you get story related info when you complete them. I really don’t see the big deal either way.

Sidequest means they are optional content.

The worry of tc is SE claims a tiny TINY part of the og game will be a complete game worth $60.

Then you see generic sidequest. So, if most of the playtine comes from generic padding, the actual playtime of this part may be closer to the tiny TINY time it had in the original game.

As opposed to those who day1 of the parts announcement thought 0 padding would exist and every vast part of midgar explored in great depth with wondours lore to make it a full $60 game.
(edited 1 week ago)

Kaliesto
1 week ago#6
I'm just getting tired of what I'm seeing these days concerning the Japanese Video Game Industry, they just don't care anymore. You don't need to pad a game out like this, you can still write your side stories in a more meaningful way even if that means there will be less content in other areas but it least it will be quality instead of quantity.

Xenogears is a good example of doing Side-quests the right way because they took their time with it.

User Info: OmniChris

OmniChris
1 week ago#7
With FF7 Remake being Midgar only, it's clearly not an open world game, it's linear based with chapters, they can't exactly just throw hundreds of generic fetch quests at you. Judging by the screenshot there is only 6 of these sidequests in chapter 3 alone. That is not many at all. Meaning they've probably put some thought and quality control into these sidequests.

User Info: Magoichi

Magoichi
1 week ago#8
It's probably the typical formula where you'll be introduced to the first one in an area then it's up to you to do the rest.

It's not entirely their fault "gamers" are convinced every game needs to have at least 50 hours of total content to be worth the price tag.
(edited 1 week ago)

darkphoenix181
1 week ago#9
OmniChris posted...
they can't exactly just throw hundreds of generic fetch quests at you.

Lol. They most certainly can.

Kaliesto
1 week ago#10
OmniChris posted...
With FF7 Remake being Midgar only, it's clearly not an open world game, it's linear based with chapters, they can't exactly just throw hundreds of generic fetch quests at you. Judging by the screenshot there is only 6 of these sidequests in chapter 3 alone. That is not many at all. Meaning they've probably put some thought and quality control into these sidequests.

I pray hope so, I hope I'm just freaking out for nothing.

1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The generic side-quests introduced is concerning
  • Post New Message