• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Story will be 15-20 hours, filled with generic hunts and fetch quests to pad it

User Info: gilgaRe

gilgaRe
1 month ago#1
I was really hoping they would add interesting sidequests to fill the game with, but looks like they went the route of "report to one NPC for all the generic hunts and fetch quests".

I honestly hate that. What happened to side quests that were just as interesting as doing the main story? Ones that weren't all relegated to a single NPC or "quest board" but spread throughout the game and gave you more reason to explore and talk to people? Ones that expanded on lore and had cool cutscenes?

User Info: jordina

jordina
1 month ago#2
They don't look that bad to me. They all tell me something about the world already.

And did you not notice that each mission/person seems to have several parts indicated by the circles underneath? I'm not expecting FFXV quality quests here. I'm at least expecting lightning returns level of quality sidequests.

User Info: MancombSeepgood

MancombSeepgood
1 month ago#3
There are side quests that you can find when exploring. But a lot of it is relegated to quest boards or single NPCs handing out multiple quests, especially in the earlier chapters. It's all a bit more involved than in the original, which barely had any real side quests in Midgar, but it doesn't look like much more than combat quests with some start and end dialogue attached to them.

User Info: OmniChris

OmniChris
1 month ago#4
I think you might be at the wrong genre TC.. WRPGs are that way.

User Info: MalakTawus

MalakTawus
1 month ago#5
Nothing wrong with having fetch quests in an rpg, it becomes a problem only when the whole thing becomes unbalanced with an absurd amount of pointless quests that add nothing to the lore/worldbuilding, something that clearly wont be a problem in this game, especially since in the end the focus on the main story remains strong anyway.
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."

User Info: VegaGG

VegaGG
1 month ago#6
jordina posted...
I'm at least expecting lightning returns level of quality sidequests.
Those were some of the worst cringefest side quests i've seen in gaming.

Dr.Sheep "Plz gather mah sheeps"

Some loser "I want to go on a date. Plz go on a date with me!"

Some underaged "I sell my -not bath water- tears! Come and buy some!"

Kupo Village "kupo kupo kupo staff kupo kupo!"

Some loofy chef "Yo goddess, get me 3 apples before the world ends"

Oh and let's not forget the super HD dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWG1C51TG5w

User Info: jordina

jordina
1 month ago#7
OMG THAT DOG. Lmao

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
1 month ago#8
MalakTawus posted...
Nothing wrong with having fetch quests in an rpg, it becomes a problem only when the whole thing becomes unbalanced with an absurd amount of pointless quests that add nothing to the lore/worldbuilding, something that clearly wont be a problem in this game, especially since in the end the focus on the main story remains strong anyway.
The battle arena fits this description tho. Not that it's an issue personally, but it's the very definition of just letting the player kill stuff and get rewards with not connection to the actual game. Of course we don't know the full extent of its engagement, and it could be possible that there are 'secret bosses' found elsewhere around Midgar that give better rewards, but I highly doubt it. It looks like it's very similar to XIII when you reach Gran Pulse

User Info: OmniChris

OmniChris
1 month ago#9
You don't really know they're generic sidequests and they don't have to be connected to the main story to good sidequests. If there is a some funny dialogue to gotten from just that little 10 minute sidequest of Cloud being sent to kill rats, that alone is worth it.

User Info: MancombSeepgood

MancombSeepgood
1 month ago#10
OmniChris posted...
You don't really know they're generic sidequests and they don't have to be connected to the main story to good sidequests. If there is a some funny dialogue to gotten from just that little 10 minute sidequest of Cloud being sent to kill rats, that alone is worth it.
You realize we've had pretty much the full script for the game for about a month and a half, right? We already know what the side quests are like in general.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Story will be 15-20 hours, filled with generic hunts and fetch quests to pad it
  • Topic Archived