• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Best Final Fantasy since FFX?
XII, the best since IX

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
3 days ago#82
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
13-2 is the 2nd-worst FF I have ever played and worse than 13 in almost every way.

This is a bold statement.
It's trapped in a s***ty story but better in any other aspect.
'The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.' Charles Bukowski

User Info: plasmabeam

plasmabeam
3 days ago#83
GeneratorLeon posted...
Indeed. I hate this argument against Tidus so much. He stops being whiny less than halfway through the game, outside of his daddy issues, and by the end of the game he's one of the most resolute, self-sacrificial heroes in the series. If you didn't see Tidus grow as a character, you were not paying attention or didn't finish/play the game. It's like everyone just watches the laughing scene or something then completely writes him off.

The early whining plays a major part in setting up Tidus' character arc, which is one of the strongest in the series
~Jacksonville Jaguars~

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 days ago#84
plasmabeam posted...
The early whining plays a major part in setting up Tidus' character arc, which is one of the strongest in the series
What about the late whining? "But I want everything!" Don't try to tell me that line isn't whining. (And I must scoff at the idea of Tidus having a strong character arc.)
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: elderworm

elderworm
3 days ago#85
1Tekkaman posted...
What about the late whining? "But I want everything!" Don't try to tell me that line isn't whining. (And I must scoff at the idea of Tidus having a strong character arc.)

Eh, less annoying than any of the losers from IX's cast. Good lord, vivi is the most annoying little b**** ever in a video game. And i dont know who the f*** at squaresoft OK'd Quina's inclusion....

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 days ago#86
elderworm posted...
Eh, less annoying than any of the losers from IX's cast. Good lord, vivi is the most annoying little b**** ever in a video game. And i dont know who the f*** at squaresoft OK'd Quina's inclusion....
Agreed about Quina, but even he/she isn't in the same galaxy of annoying as that whiny dolt Tidus. Frankly, aside from QuinaI see IX a having one of the best casts. Vivi I consider overrated, but he never annoys me.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
They all sucked after 10

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
3 days ago#88
metallica_fan21 posted...
They all sucked after 10

So I guess you didn't play the MMORPGs
'The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.' Charles Bukowski
Djoser2000 posted...
This is a bold statement.
It's trapped in a s***ty story but better in any other aspect.
XIII's cast is bad, XIII-2's is somehow worse. Serah is hard to like and Noel is about as interesting as a glass of tepid water. And replacing actual characters with one of the worst monster-catching systems I have ever experienced was about as well-conceived and executed as any of the rest of this disaster of a game; meaning, not well at all.

Where XIII's battle system required some forethought, planning, and execution at times, with properly planned Paradigm loadouts that rewarded experimentation as well as reflexive button presses and menu naviagtion, XIII-2's battle system waters it down to COM-COM-COM ending 95% of battles in seconds. What was potentially interesting in XIII's system was completely dismantled into a more boring, more mindless Mash X game than it was before.

Character progression: linear in XIII, impenetrable random nonsense in XIII-2. Another downgrade.

And where XIII progressed its plot and exploration in a linear, A to B fashion, XIII-2 opened it up so much that nothing had any context to it. It was just a nebulous jump from poorly-textured setpiece to poorly-textured setpiece with very little to ground the player. It was hard to appreciate anything that was happening in the story. And even if you could appreciate it, what story is there comes across as if it were written by a high schooler. XIII was not written with a sequel in mind and XIII-2 makes that painfully clear. Literally nothing about it from beginning to end makes ANY sense. One or two concepts might work, but their execution is horrific.

Where XIII-2 outshines XIII is in its villain (not hard to do, almost every RPG has a better central villain than XIII), and arguably it's top-tier OST.
Currently Playing: Trails of Cold Steel III
Djoser2000 posted...
So I gu
Djoser2000 posted...
So I guess you didn't play the MMORPGs
No, I don’t typically play online. Unless it’s monster hunter. Even that’s a bit much.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Best Final Fantasy since FFX?
  • Post New Message