• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Ok, one thing that is bugging me about the battle system now....

User Info: Blair85

Blair85
2 months ago#51
Even though the AI is attacking the enemy, you still decide their equipment, and materia loadout, plus you can override what they're doing any time you want.

So it's not like you have no agency, just that it would be absolutely nonsensical, and dumb looking if they just stood in a line (a la ATB) and waited for commands. I think it's a perfect evolution of the battle system

User Info: quakeknight1991

quakeknight1991
2 months ago#52
Blair85 posted...
Even though the AI is attacking the enemy, you still decide their equipment, and materia loadout, plus you can override what they're doing any time you want.

So it's not like you have no agency, just that it would be absolutely nonsensical, and dumb looking if they just stood in a line (a la ATB) and waited for commands. I think it's a perfect evolution of the battle system

Yeah that is what I think as well. It would be ridiculous if the AI controlled party members just stood still in the middle of a fight waiting for the player to input commands for them.

User Info: Rude Hero

Rude Hero
2 months ago#53
The game promotes switching party members anyway. During the Guard Scorpion boss I noticed that unless I switched to Barret his ATB would fill up slow as hell. But also you need to switch to use his exclusive abilities or magic, in his case, lightning, which is essential for downing the boss fast.
Too hot to handle, too cold to hold.

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
2 months ago#54
Rude Hero posted...
The game promotes switching party members anyway. During the Guard Scorpion boss I noticed that unless I switched to Barret his ATB would fill up slow as hell. But also you need to switch to use his exclusive abilities or magic, in his case, lightning, which is essential for downing the boss fast.

Ok, I like what I'm hearing here. This sounds appealing and as of right now I'm a little over my initial thoughts.
Honestly, if Square somehow makes everything balanced out and working accordingly without anything feeling like it's unbalanced I have absolutely no problem with the AI attacking in the background when you're using whatever character. So long as it doesn't feel chaotic and self-playing like FFXII and FFXIII amd FFXV.
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
2 months ago#55
quakeknight1991 posted...
Yeah that is what I think as well. It would be ridiculous if the AI controlled party members just stood still in the middle of a fight waiting for the player to input commands for them.
You all think this because of how the game looks right now. DQXI didn't look ridiculous with the characters standing in line waiting for commands. If Square chose to keep it turn based it'd obviously look different

User Info: Justicecho

Justicecho
2 months ago#56
blitz_0623 posted...
You all think this because of how the game looks right now. DQXI didn't look ridiculous with the characters standing in line waiting for commands. If Square chose to keep it turn based it'd obviously look different
If DQ’s characters looked as realistic as VIIR’s do I would say it’d look silly too. VIIR is still stylized but leaning way more to the realness factor. Having them feel and look more real then pause and stand still for turn based inputs doesn’t mesh well for me. Stylized art and/or story reasons are the main ways to sell it.

User Info: erAEISer

erAEISer
2 months ago#57
Rude Hero posted...
You don't need to switch over though, you can still use his abilities in Tactical Mode if you so please.

digidevilwil posted...
I mean people are downplaying normal attacks in relation to ATB attacks quite frankly, especially when we don't even know the full extent of the customization and growth potential. The idea of having to use an ATB move to kill an enemy in a real time setting is super awkward since attacks have value based on utility and properties, and it's not like a turn based game where every attack is given the same potential privilege to hit outside of accuracy properties. Enemies are not just going to stand still and let you do an ATB move specifically.
Your point is kinda moot since ATB isn't exactly hard to accumulate. If an ATB command happens to whiff, you can get another shot pretty quickly. I mean the game wouldn't work in this way if the flow of battle wasn't heavily skewed toward ATB usage.
-Angela says hi.

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
2 months ago#58
Justicecho posted...
If DQ’s characters looked as realistic as VIIR’s do I would say it’d look silly too. VIIR is still stylized but leaning way more to the realness factor. Having them feel and look more real then pause and stand still for turn based inputs doesn’t mesh well for me. Stylized art and/or story reasons are the main ways to sell it.
Idk, it depends on how the system is implemented. The characters can look as realistic and still not silly even if standing around as long as Square makes it feel real. Yakuza 7 is turn based and has pretty realistic characters but it doesn't look silly. The characters are still moving around, just not attacking

User Info: egpNoodlez

egpNoodlez
2 months ago#59
I feel this kind of thinking comes from the idea of all turn-based characters should be player controlled, ergo the same is true for real-time battles. Which is so incredibly dumb I don't even have to elaborate, especially since in 58 posts other users have done that part for me. Do the people who make these topics actually use critical thinking?

PROTIP: stop thinking you're the only hero there ever was.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/egpNoodlez.png

User Info: Kalkano

Kalkano
2 months ago#60
egpNoodlez posted...
I feel this kind of thinking comes from the idea of all turn-based characters should be player controlled, ergo the same is true for real-time battles. Which is so incredibly dumb I don't even have to elaborate, especially since in 58 posts other users have done that part for me. Do the people who make these topics actually use critical thinking?

PROTIP: stop thinking you're the only hero there ever was.

I think you're missing the fact that we don't intend to play this as an action game.
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem 13: Three Houses (Yes, 13, fight me)- Golden Deer Path
Shining Force 3 Chronology - http://tinyurl.com/kwjsvyb
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Ok, one thing that is bugging me about the battle system now....
  • Topic Archived