• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. No one wants smoke with FF7

User Info: analyticalkeys

analyticalkeys
1 month ago#81
None of those games were delayed due to closeness to FFVII:R, but it no doubt helps them.

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
1 month ago#82
erAEISer posted...
Not a.lot of people are gonna buy Cyberpunk, let's be real here. Not a lot of people are into 1st person shooter RPGs, let's be honest with ourselves. If they do manage to pick it up they'll prob drop it within a week and give it a mediocre score, to be frank.

Maybe that's why they decided to delay Cyberpunk 5 months, so that they can add a third person option. Like Skyrim.
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
1 month ago#83
WhyitEarp posted...
Then you agree with me...delusional fans think the game was moved because of FF VII R, that was the point.
I think more of the delusion is on thinking it can outsell CP not that CP was moved due to it. The delay can be for a number of reasons, competing with RE3 and FF7R can certainly be one of them, but it can't be the ONLY reason which people are fanboying over

User Info: slopesoden

slopesoden
1 month ago#84
peanutbutterxx posted...
I'm not sure this comparison is valid considering how much bigger gaming is nowadays.

I think if VII originally sold 11 million copies, that's a good indication there were only about 15 million PS consoles sold by that point. That's about 2 of 3 owners. How many does that 2/3s translate in to now on PS4? Hell, I bought the original twice for PS then again for PS4.

Of course this is purely speculation. Someone else can fact check the numbers if you refuse to let this die.

"Nothing is genuine anymore." - Control

User Info: ActualGameDev

ActualGameDev
1 month ago#85
I don’t see how minigames are gonna beat out open world sandbox gta style city.

FF7 beats Cyberpunk by namesake, but not in gameplay, FF7R is going to be one of the fastest returned titles this year with streaming and videos peaking a week into release and quickly dying away while cyberpunk will remain in at least the top 25 streamed games for months if not the year

User Info: BusterBlue

BusterBlue
1 month ago#86
ActualGameDev posted...
I don’t see how minigames are gonna beat out open world sandbox gta style city.

FF7 beats Cyberpunk by namesake, but not in gameplay, FF7R is going to be one of the fastest returned titles this year with streaming and videos peaking a week into release and quickly dying away while cyberpunk will remain in at least the top 25 streamed games for months if not the year
Are you an actual game dev on both projects?
*Disney Historian in Training*

User Info: DanielsonsXe

DanielsonsXe
1 month ago#87
TrueGB posted...
What's from EA? Borderlands? Am I reading that right? It's hard to say because you disabled that link.

Borderlands is from 2K, dude. Gearbox developed.
Oops. Sorry, you're right 2K not EA. Point remains, though. First person shooter rpgs are hardly the niche genre the person I quoted was saying.
PSN: NinjaLeonhart

User Info: MalakTawus

MalakTawus
1 month ago#88
What i find really funny is that some people here make an idiotic equivalence: just because a game sells more it does NOT mean that it has a stronger influence on its buyers, it just means that it has a bigger potential pool of customers, NOT the same thing.

To put it in simple terms, to see what product suffers more "damage" in a close-release-date-scenario, one should go look at the result for the consumers where the 2 pools ideally overlap (and ofc this is not exactly the simplest thing to do, requires proper market analysis done in retrospect), making judgment looking at overall sales is indeed quite foolish.

Anyway even without any analysis one thing can be said for sure, no one wants, if possible, to release their own big title too close to another big title especially if they have potentially relevant overlapping pools of consuumers, so it doesnt make much sense imo to spout nonsense like "company X avoided company Y" , the truth is that they both want to avoid each others since, you know, they are not morons.
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."

User Info: ActualGameDev

ActualGameDev
1 month ago#89
BusterBlue posted...
Are you an actual game dev on both projects?

no these are my predictions based on 23 years of gaming and watching the industry, my own work has really nothing to do with my opinion although it helps me in many ways understand how development works and what happens behind the scenes

for example I know that most studios follow a 2 week sprint schedule where they plan out their work for 2 weeks at a time. If FF7R got delayed by 2 sprints, there’s no way any amount of polish work during this period would turn a turd into a trophy, I know that this delay was planned months and months ago, the producers gave the possible release dates to the team because you never have one release date and you never ever meet the first date product gives you. I know the marketing announces a date they have no expectations of meeting, they do this for literally only one reason and that’s to get pre order sales. They need pre orders to justify production to executive boards and investors. The investor and execs need to see some kind of numbers showing the ongoing success of productions because our financial institutions require quarterly updates. That mean every 3 months you have to be proving your business is working.

User Info: BusterBlue

BusterBlue
1 month ago#90
ActualGameDev posted...
no these are my predictions
Got it.

MalakTawus posted...
What i find really funny is that some people here make an idiotic equivalence: just because a game sells more it does NOT mean that it has a stronger influence on its buyers, it just means that it has a bigger potential pool of customers, NOT the same thing.
My thoughts exactly. Something can wind up garnering a larger audience but that audience may not be as passionate about it as a smaller audience is towards something else. Cult classics are a thing.

Ultimately both games will do well and there’s really no need to create this competition between the two.

I do thinks it’s laughable that people are downplaying FF7’s cultural impact though.
*Disney Historian in Training*
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. No one wants smoke with FF7
  • Topic Archived