• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Launching Right Next To Cyberpunk Is A Terrible Idea...
Marozi posted...
Cyberpunk 2020 (which 2077 is based on) was published in 1988. The US version of Final Fantasy I was released in 1990.

Is Final Fantasy originally a US based game? Could have sworn they were Japanese.

User Info: Marozi

Marozi
1 week ago#12
game freakozoid posted...
Is Final Fantasy originally a US based game? Could have sworn they were Japanese.

Final Fantasy's original Japanese release has nothing to do with how it was recieved or its cultural significance in America though. Hence me using the US publishing date.

GT: Moondogtk PSN: Moondogtk: SFV: MovesLikeHaggar
https://i.imgur.com/sJYFRlI.jpg

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
1 week ago#13
Marozi posted...
Even people who aren't huge into tabletop roleplaying games (which is where Cyberpunk hails from) will probably get into it based on CDPR's fantastic reputation and the hype-train and aesthetic alone.

Speaking of aesthetics, I also agree that Cyberpunk has the edge over FFVIIR in the West. The typical Westerner doesn't find Cloud's Japanese design all that appealing.
"I want to remind you that life is an RPG, so have fun!" - Yuji Horii

User Info: BusterBlue

BusterBlue
1 week ago#14
People who were going to buy both are going to buy both.

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.
*Disney Historian in Training*
Marozi posted...
Final Fantasy's original Japanese release has nothing to do with how it was recieved or its cultural significance in America though. Hence me using the US publishing date.

You realize that these games are getting released in more places than just the US right? There was absolutely nobody here trying to just use the US before you because it isn't really relevant to the discussion. There are more countries out there that play video games than just the US.

Marozi
1 week ago#16
crono12064 posted...
Speaking of aesthetics, I also agree that Cyberpunk has the edge over FFVIIR in the West. The typical Westerner doesn't find Cloud's Japanese design all that appealing.

I think given the increasing popularity of anime and its design choices (Yaiba and MHA seem to be picking up steam pretty quick) the more 'realistic' aesthetic FF7 has is probably not going to turn anyone off unless they're literally only interested in large manly men who look like refrigerators ala Gears of War.

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
1 week ago#17
You realize that these games are getting released in more places than just the US right? There was absolutely nobody here trying to just use the US before you because it isn't really relevant to the discussion. There are more countries out there that play video games than just the US.
In which case their first experience of Final Fantasy would actually be FFVII in 97. Not counting Japan of course.
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/19620823/
(edited 1 week ago)

Marozi
1 week ago#18

I'm not sure I understand your point. We're talking about the age and significance of FF and Cyberpunk, yeah?

User Info: sleepercell99

sleepercell99
1 week ago#19
BusterBlue posted...
People who were going to buy both are going to buy both.

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.
not everyone is as rich as you dude
Marozi posted...
I'm not sure I understand your point. We're talking about the age and significance of FF and Cyberpunk, yeah?

Exactly, and FF is older and has a much wider spread and significance. Again, not even everyone on this site is American. When we talk about when something originated we don't talk about when it just came to America, we talk about when it you know originated.

Seraphor posted...
In which case their first experience of Final Fantasy would actually be FFVII in 97. Not counting Japan of course.

I mean, there are many many people who played Final Fantasy before VII worldwide so no.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Launching Right Next To Cyberpunk Is A Terrible Idea...
  • Post New Message