• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Seems like Jessie might be a possibility for Part 1 after all...

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
1 month ago#111
JairusTLS posted...
Brock, having attraction and interest in someone is not wrong, and it's faithful to her character in that she was interested in him in the original game.

Oh and speaking of Aerith, she rather cunningly roped Cloud into agreeing to go out with her and leaving him with little choice but to accept. When an attractive girl offers to go out with you if you do something for her, any guy with a conscience would be hard put to do anything but agree to the bargain since he would be a decent enough person to not want to hurt her feelings and upset her regardless of how he himself might feel. Cloud would be the same way, as beneath the mercenary veneer, he does care about others.

And along those lines, I don't see Cloud as the kind of guy who'd let Jessie die heartbroken. Regardless of his own feelings, and considering how nice he was to her overall in the demo, he'd be much more likely to say or do something to acknowledge and affirm how she feels about him, validate those feelings, and make her happy.

I don't know what planet you live on but I'll be sure never to visit. Anyways I'm out of this topic too. Has fun.
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~

User Info: JairusTLS

JairusTLS
1 month ago#112
Oh you're already there, because I'm here. No one's going to miss another troll who can't or won't address what's being said to him.
Final Fantasy VII: Lifestream - An Unofficial Novelization
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13341346/1/Final-Fantasy-VII-Lifestream

User Info: HentaiMan

HentaiMan
1 month ago#113
JairusTLS posted...
What was once a seemingly farfetched idea seems to actually becoming something of a reality for FF7R Part 1. I posted a while back that Jessie could be a possible third option in Part 1's affection system, if it's in place, and got largely ridiculed for it. I guess folks here don't much like non-mainstream ideas. But, with the more recent trailers and leaks, it seems I might not have been as far off as some people thought.

Cloud's bashful smile to her during the reactor escape in the VGA trailer is the first time we've seen him smile so far in FF7R, and that's before he ever even met Aerith. So that's one thing Jessie now has that the other girls don't. And the smile was definitely bashful - he was trying not to but not quite succeeding, like he was flattered by her compliment but wanted to act cool and not show it. The fact that he let it slip through shows that she can reach him, and it also shows a hint of attraction to her on his part.

If it was just the smile, it could have just been seen as one-off moment, but it's not. I haven't seen the whole demo, but what I have seen adds to what I'm saying. Cloud treats her very differently than the guys - he's warmer to her, not cold and aloof like he is to Barret and Wedge. He shows concern for her, they have good banter and chemistry, and he doesn't do a thing to dissuade her obvious interest in him. When she asks him point blank what his relationship to Tifa is, he doesn't get irritated or tell her to back off or stay quiet. He's nice to her and tries to answer her question. If he'd had no interest in her, he would have likely either ignored her or blown her off. But he didn't do that. He doesn't do anything to stop her flirting, either.

I haven't seen much of the leaked content myself, but from what friends on the forums of thelifestream.net who have seen it have told me, Cloud and Jessie have a stronger foundation in the new canon than the pairing once did. I've also read that some people have canceled their preorders of the game because they had seen the leaks and were upset that their preferred ship didn't seem to have gotten as much attention as they wanted. I don't know the details, but could it be because Jessie's been given more time and interaction with Cloud in Part 1 than they think she should have? I don't know, and it might be something else, but it's something to think about, anyway.

Another thing to think about is this: neither Aerith nor Tifa's profiles for FF7R make any mention or even hint of romantic feelings for Cloud, which is a stark contrast from the original. In the manual for the original game, their feelings for him were quite clearly laid out in their profiles, but in their FF7R profiles, they're conspicuously absent. However, interestingly enough, Jessie's FF7R profile (translated from Famitsu) does hint at her feelings for Cloud in saying that "she has a weakness for pretty boys." It's interesting that she's the only one of the three girls whose profile contains any hint of romantic interest toward Cloud. We know that Aerith and Tifa will eventually develop those feelings, but for Part 1 it seems they may take a backseat to those of Jessie. Or at least, she may be there as a third option.

People misunderstood me before and thought I was saying Jessie should be a love interest for the entire series. That's not what I was saying at all. I know she's only in this one game. But this one game is over 70GB in size, compressed, which is likely over 100GB uncompressed. It's huge. And the plate collapse likely has been pushed back to late in the game, probably two-thirds to three-quarters of the way through. So Jessie will be around for quite a while in Part 1, long enough for her and Cloud to get to know each other and possibly develop the mutual attraction they've already begun to show in the demo.

She's not a 5-minute bit character anymore, and I think people seem to forget that, just as they seem to forget that the story of FFVII is now being told over multiple games, not just one. Which means story arcs like the LTD have to be drawn out over all the games in the series, and not just a single one. However, since Jessie is likely to only be in this one game - Part 1 - any romantic arc she might have could be taken as far as SE wants, since it only has to span one game rather than several, and so they could bring her as close to Cloud as they want before the plate collapse. I don't know how it'll all play out, but they seem to be developing something at least between the two of them. So I guess we'll see what happens.

One other thing to note is that in Cloud's little bio mini-trailer, Jessie was shown more than Aerith and Tifa - 2 shots for her (both on the bike) as compared to a single shared shot of the other girls, who didn't even get a single shot on their own with him but had to share one. SE didn't have to include her in that trailer, but they not only did it, they included her more than they did the actual playable girls. And speaking of playability, it seems that, judging by the presence of Wedge in the combat UI for the bike minigame in the latest screenshot of it, that Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge may be semi-playable guest combatants at certain points, which would be quite nice.

Anyway, shaking up the old LTD by adding Jessie into the mix as a possibility for Part 1 is a good way to keep things fresh and throw off people who think they know everything about how the game will be and surprise them. Story changes are confirmed, and the watchmen are clearly not going to be the only ones. Scenes from the original game have been shown to play out differently in the remake, so anything's possible.

Aerith - blown off
Tifa - friend-zoned
Jessie - given a bashful smile

Of course that's just trailers and such, but it's interesting they chose to show things in that way when they didn't have to. Just something else to think about is all.
https://imgur.com/zykHczn
https://youtu.be/tCI396HyhbQ https://imgur.com/RpXoLiP
<(^.^<) <(^.^)> http://imgur.com/Mr374Y0 http://imgur.com/COylKWt

User Info: orah

orah
1 month ago#114
personally i don't think something will happen to that extent, but it's clear that jessie is being set up for cloud to feel something for her (and avalanche, don't get me wrong but especially her) when she's gone. it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Seems like Jessie might be a possibility for Part 1 after all...
  • Topic Archived