• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. it's time to stop saying "the compilation" and "the OG"

User Info: orah

orah
1 month ago#1
do you agree? - Results (52 votes)
yep
23.08% (12 votes)
nope
76.92% (40 votes)
This poll is now closed.
i haven't been on here in a while because i want to avoid spoilers in any way possible, but i was mulling over this yesterday. the reason why i say this is in case no one recognises me, i just don't wanted to say i'm not trolling.

my argument is, there has been a line between the compilation and the OG, started by S/E theirselves. but whether we liked it or not those stories are connected to the OG game as canon. but now it's been said that 7R is a new canon, so is drawing a line at "the compilation" and "the OG" even useful at this point? they're in the past, their own canon now. 7R is recreating the OG with some compilation expansion, but the point is, the compilation is nowhere near connected to the OG as 7R is. that's why i say just wipe the line away and look to the future with 7R.

also, this is gamefaqs so yeah there's not going to be an inch of actual discussion here but at least participate in the poll, thanks.

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
1 month ago#2
I never use compilation but I will still refer to the 1997 game as the OG

User Info: Justicecho

Justicecho
1 month ago#3
Ah should have read your post first haha. Yeah og + comp + nojima’s novels are one continuous canon, remake is another. People can hate that all they want though.

User Info: dsaddict

dsaddict
1 month ago#4
The line got blurred a little now that the OG and Comp are competitively closer than a third category, but there are still plenty of people who don't want to acknowledge events in The Comp because it messes with the impact events in the OG. I'm part of that camp, but there are people who feel even more strongly about their rejection of Comp because of the ending of FF7.
"I look like a boss, I feel like a boss, I taste like a boss..." Max B

User Info: amerk

amerk
1 month ago#5
Yes and no. No in that the original comp was made as an afterthought and wasnt entirely smooth or concise, and at times felt like a disjointed cash grab that didn't always jive well with the original game.

Yes in that the remake is most likely going to have its own Canon, and they're cherry picking (hopefully) the best parts from the OG and sprinkling them into the remake... from what I remember reading. Therefore, I predict a sort of CC remake down the road, but one that will hopefully feel more natural to the remake than it did in the OG and probably flow into the remake better.

User Info: orah

orah
1 month ago#6
amerk posted...
Yes and no. No in that the original comp was made as an afterthought and wasnt entirely smooth or concise, and at times felt like a disjointed cash grab that didn't always jive well with the original game.

Yes in that the remake is most likely going to have its own Canon, and they're cherry picking (hopefully) the best parts from the OG and sprinkling them into the remake... from what I remember reading. Therefore, I predict a sort of CC remake down the road, but one that will hopefully feel more natural to the remake than it did in the OG and probably flow into the remake better.
CC remake.. one can only dream...

User Info: silverden75

silverden75
1 month ago#7
while im firmly in the camp of fanon discontinuity ill agree 7r has a separate canon from the original.
just a normal hermit with an obsession with stories.

User Info: Gurifisu

Gurifisu
1 month ago#8
Canon has little importance imo. It's all contrived and shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying what's available. However I'm against the notion of there being separate canons unless explicitly stated otherwise(ie multiverse). Retcons happen in plenty of other mediums. Be it good or bad, I try to at least acknowledge them.
I love rice
https://imgur.com/tFSzxze

User Info: SavenForever

SavenForever
1 month ago#9
Nah, more clarification is fine.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. it's time to stop saying "the compilation" and "the OG"
  • Topic Archived