• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Will this game be as good as the original and have the same impact?

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
2 days ago#41
EAims posted...
Although the previous poster credits it to dark souls but demon souls was the first.

True. I even thought it was better than Dark Souls in some ways.
"I want to remind you that life is an RPG, so have fun!" - Yuji Horii

User Info: Fwahm

Fwahm
2 days ago#42
What "genre" did Demon's/Dark Souls create? The core gameplay is similar to a number of other games like Monster Hunter, and the story design itself isn't exactly new either. It might have popularized the combination, but it's not a whole new genre, nor are there a large number of games following in their footsteps other than sequels and spiritual sequels by the same developer.

I'd say FFVII popularizing the massive JRPG genre is a far bigger impact.
(edited 2 days ago)
crono12064 posted...
there were barely any games inspired by FFVII
Heh, gonna have to highly disagree with you here. Not that I don't get what you mean, but the argument could be made that the wealth of JRPGs that exist today would scarcely exist at all were it not for Final Fantasy VII. Not taking anything away from the impact of DS on the industry, ofc, nor am I saying there would be no JRPGs without VII.
Currently Playing: Trails of Cold Steel III

User Info: Fwahm

Fwahm
2 days ago#44
I'm not sure if there would be notably less JRPGs total without FFVII, but I think it's very likely that there would be far fewer localized ones if 7 hadn't greatly expanded the western JRPG gamer market.

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
2 days ago#45
Testa-Rossa posted...
blitz_0623 posted...
crono12064 posted...
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
But as for the kind of impact OG VII had on gaming as a whole? Yeah, I don't think that's possible for ANY game, much less this Remake.

To be honest, I think Dark Souls had more of an impact than FFVII did. There are many action RPGs/games imitating the soulsborne gameplay concept, while there were barely any games inspired by FFVII (Planescape Torment did list FFVII and FFVIII as inspirations though...but that's only one game).

To the development community yes Souls had more impact, but to the gaming community as a whole, VII was more revolutionary

Souls "invented" a genre.

7 made popular a genre that existed for years.

Exactly, that's why I said development community, because Souls was more innovative and opened new doors for developers to explore. They have a different kind of impact, I would say Souls had the more significant one, but let's not pretend it's as popular as FF games. I liken VII to CoD MW back when MW made FPS even more popular than it already was because of the online multiplayer. CoD didn't even invent a genre but it brought in so many fans like VII did for Square.

User Info: EAims

EAims
2 days ago#46
Fwahm posted...
What "genre" did Demon's/Dark Souls create? The core gameplay is similar to a number of other games like Monster Hunter, and the story design itself isn't exactly new either. It might have popularized the combination, but it's not a whole new genre, nor are there a large number of games following in their footsteps other than sequels and spiritual sequels by the same developer.

I'd say FFVII popularizing the massive JRPG genre is a far bigger impact.
If it takes things from other genres and combines it into one somewhat unique package, to the point where you can now say "this game is similar to a souls game" and you'll instantly know what that person means; doesn't that basically make it its own genre?

Someone originally took a regular rpg and said hey let's keep the player constantly moving around and created a new genre called arpg.

Maybe someone else can explain it better since I'm not invested in the souls genre myself.
A b c d e f guy, h I j k l m n o buddy, q r s t u fwend, w x eh! and (pfft). These are the Canadian ABC's, Susie likes hairy b**** what do you think of these?
EAims posted...
you can now say "this game is similar to a souls game" and you'll instantly know what that person means; doesn't that basically make it its own genre?
"Subgenre" might be the more fitting term, but we're splitting hairs at this point

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
2 days ago#48
crono12064 posted...
blitz_0623 posted...
but to the gaming community as a whole, VII was more revolutionary

Interesting point. Can you elaborate on this?

I can only think that it made JRPGs popular in the West. Considering the part of Arvis post I was quoting, I'd even say Super Mario Brothers was far more impactful in terms of popularity than FFVII can ever hope to be.

This part I agree. Mario and Pokemon are leaps ahead of VII. Souls is more significant to the community IMO but it didn't have the same kind of impact that VII did only because VII had great timing on its release.

User Info: EAims

EAims
2 days ago#49
Arvis_Jaggamar posted...
"Subgenre" might be the more fitting term, but we're splitting hairs at this point
Good point. Maybe it's better to say the souls series created a new sub genre.

Again I'm not a huge fan of that type of game so i don't know much. Only played a bit of bloodborne and it just wasn't for me.
A b c d e f guy, h I j k l m n o buddy, q r s t u fwend, w x eh! and (pfft). These are the Canadian ABC's, Susie likes hairy b**** what do you think of these?
(edited 2 days ago)
blitz_0623 posted...
Mario and Pokemon are leaps ahead of VII
These are like the Marvel movies of games, imo. They sort of transcend the medium. People who don't play other stuff freak out over the next entry. While VII is like the original Pirates of the Caribbean: a perfect version of exactly what it's trying to be, and popular enough in its own right.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Will this game be as good as the original and have the same impact?
  • Post New Message