• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. PSA: The people selling multiple parts would say it's too big for one part

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
6 days ago#281
digidevilwil posted...
especially when they already said that their objective with this remake is to go above and beyond the original

I'm not ignoring the rest of the paragraph I just feel I have to grab this one bit right here for a moment. This is what I was talking about in post 277. Lowering the bar of expectation doesn't mean "ignore or lower quality" it means adjusting yourself to the situation and making well thought out decisions. Square needs something "safe" to restore brand faith. Lower the bar, do something less risky, build themselves back up. Just mindlessly shooting for the stars all the time gets you no where. It's reckless for lack of a better word.

I mean they did it years ago with FF7 and FF8 and then they went back to something more familiar with FF9 and then moved onto FFX. I suppose you could argue they're doing it again but they really aren't. They're falling back on "old glory" as a crutch because they're at a loss for what to do. When in reality all that needs to be done is they need to release a rock solid game that honors what the series once was. And no I'm not talking about just ATB I'm talking about everything that makes FF, FF. Action or ATB it doesn't matter they just need to go back to their roots.

It doesn't have to be ground breaking, it doesn't have to be the next "big thing" it just has to do well. But that's not enough for Square clearly. They would rather gamble it all on trying to be that next "big thing" and keep the bar set 3 rungs too high. It's almost sad to watch really. More so given how passionate these devs seem to be. You want further proof of my statement? Look no farther than the sub division "tokyo RPG factory" They just don't get it. Or rather somebody at the top doesn't.

digidevilwil posted...
Art stuff

I'm not an artist no. In fact to be blunt I don't have a drop of creative talent in my blood. Music, art, writing. Zip, zil, ziltch, nada, nothing. At the same time I understand the pride involved with creating something. I understand the concept of going back to an old idea and making it better/improving upon it. But that's not what is being done here. It's more like resurrecting a long dead corpse to do your bidding in a vain attempt to drain whatever you can from it.

Why attempt to constantly recreate the old when you can make something new? Because using something that already exists is easier. It requires "less" effort. No one said being a creator was easy.
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: orah

orah
6 days ago#282
N3wdisea5e posted...
Or common sense might lead you to the conclusion that they are right to claim too big for one game.. they only said it for a decade straight before starting ..two blue ray discs packed with data for midgar by it's self along w five year development...
and how exactly is not buying the game a bad idea or improbable? if they don't like it, don't get it. it's really as simple as that. buy the reason why we're at 8 pages is because they love complaining.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: digidevilwil

digidevilwil
6 days ago#283
@Brocknoth

The real question is what is the roots of FF? The series literally made it big because they went above and beyond with the original 7, and every game since then has aimed to push higher and higher. You mention 9 as being something more familiar? Maybe in some themes, but it still held that high end production format that FF7 forever changed the series with. What FF arguably represents at this point is shooting for the stars and trying to be as extravagant as possible. That is the one single consistent element this series has had ever since FF7 changed the standards of the series.

I can agree with you that they do need to do something more fundamentally sound and tbh just looking at a lot of the info for the remake right now, it actually sounds like just that. If we look at how FFXV tried to be more ambiguous in its elements, we can see where FFVIIR is using much more fundamental and established game design elements and mechanics. It’s not trying to build it’s gameplay around some weird abstract elements like paradigm shift or warp strike. It’s not trying to make us indulge in their production values by making us cruise down the road in a car. Everything shown for the remake so far is proven successful game elements whether through past FF games or other non FF games.

In the most extreme irony to what you say, this actually feels like the most modest the series has been since FF6.
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/swillo
Twitter - @PandaKingEX, 3rd Place at EVO for Pokken Tournament.

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
6 days ago#284
digidevilwil posted...
What FF arguably represents at this point is shooting for the stars and trying to be as extravagant as possible. That is the one single consistent element this series has had ever since FF7 changed the standards of the series.

And clinging to that notion is why Square will continue to fail. "extravagance" is not an advantage anymore. You need more than that. You need a full package. They've spent the last 10 odd years shooting for the stars. Crystal Tools, Luminous, the XIII trilogy, XV, Fabula Nova Crystalis, XIV 1.0, and what do they have to show for it? A weakened brand name and faltering faith in their ability to deliver a quality product.

Resurrecting the corpse of FF7 is indeed going back to what makes FF, FF but at the same time it reeks of desperation. They're still trying to reinvent the wheel, to get lightning to strike in the same spot just like it did back when FF7 helped make the series more mainstream. Mind I don't expect a perfect 1:1 copy of 7 but at the same time stretching their existing material so thin is a really bad idea. The thing is if this project fails it'll just end up breeding further contempt. Their single minded obsession with trying to be the next "big thing" again might be FFs undoing.

They need to dial back their expectations and adjust their business strategy if only for a little while. Release a rock solid title, restore some faith in the brand name, and then they can move onto bigger and better things. Preferably newer things that don't seek to exploit the past for everything it's worth.
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
6 days ago#285
Evan in the background laughing at how another one of his duplicate topics generated 200+ replies

User Info: digidevilwil

digidevilwil
6 days ago#286
Brocknoth posted...
digidevilwil posted...
What FF arguably represents at this point is shooting for the stars and trying to be as extravagant as possible. That is the one single consistent element this series has had ever since FF7 changed the standards of the series.

And clinging to that notion is why Square will continue to fail. "extravagance" is not an advantage anymore. You need more than that. You need a full package. They've spent the last 10 odd years shooting for the stars. Crystal Tools, Luminous, the XIII trilogy, XV, Fabula Nova Crystalis, XIV 1.0, and what do they have to show for it? A weakened brand name and faltering faith in their ability to deliver a quality product.

Resurrecting the corpse of FF7 is indeed going back to what makes FF, FF but at the same time it reeks of desperation. They're still trying to reinvent the wheel, to get lightning to strike in the same spot just like it did back when FF7 helped make the series more mainstream. Mind I don't expect a perfect 1:1 copy of 7 but at the same time stretching their existing material so thin is a really bad idea. The thing is if this project fails it'll just end up breeding further contempt. Their single minded obsession with trying to be the next "big thing" again might be FFs undoing.

They need to dial back their expectations and adjust their business strategy if only for a little while. Release a rock solid title, restore some faith in the brand name, and then they can move onto bigger and better things. Preferably newer things that don't seek to exploit the past for everything it's worth.

Well I guess we will see how it truly plays out on release. To me this is it. This is the rock solid title with no gimmicks or desire to revolutionize the industry. This just looks like nothing but a good ass game so far. Every thing they show and ever new bit of info has looked nothing but good and solid, but if people still want to ride the train of misery based on things that we don't even actually know about the game yet, that's more of a personal desire of wanting the game to fail rather than actually trying to construct real discussion on known elements. Also to say remaking this game is desperation? Nonsense considering fans have been crying for it to be remade, and SE has been resistant to doing it if anything because they are more interested in new things.

I want to see all the bad first then I will call it bad, but to call things bad that I haven't even seen yet? There is absolutely zero logic in that mindset.
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/swillo
Twitter - @PandaKingEX, 3rd Place at EVO for Pokken Tournament.

User Info: highflyer_01

highflyer_01
2 days ago#287
Well I see the points you guys are trying to get across. Me, personally? I'm confident that they're basically taking what they've done right, with recent creations, as well as tweaking what was wrong to make something real special. I don't know why it bothers people that they're splitting it up (especially being that each game is the length of a lot of RPGs you can get a hold of, today). I mean, I get wanting it all at once, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and yet they're still trying to give us an updated VII...what people have wanted forever. I know some people literally wanted just an updated graphic game...but that's pretty lame, personally speaking.

TL;DR we all just need to chill for a second, and accept that no one truly knows how crappy, awesome, or somewhere in between this game will be until it's playable, next March.
Apply obligatory "In my opinion" with this post.

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
2 days ago#288
highflyer_01 posted...
I don't know why it bothers people that they're splitting it up

They want the whole story of the original FFVII in one game. I think that's a legitimate complaint, since FFVII is more well-known for it's story than it's gameplay.
"I want to remind you that life is an RPG, so have fun!" - Yuji Horii

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
2 days ago#289
crono12064 posted...
They want the whole story of the original FFVII in one game. I think that's a legitimate complaint, since FFVII is more well-known for it's story than it's gameplay.

Can't be done on modern technology without cutting content
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: Evan_Forever

Evan_Forever
2 days ago#290
FlameMagician posted...
Can't be done on modern technology without cutting content

Yes absolutely beyond impossible. Humankind is not capable of such a feat
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. PSA: The people selling multiple parts would say it's too big for one part