• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. We can all agree that lX Vlll Vll?

User Info: KingPiccolo

KingPiccolo
1 month ago#181
1Tekkaman posted...
Regarding VIII, I have always considered it very close to the top, at the least above the SNES games (good but not great), X (low mid-tier at best, dragged down by just about the worst MC in the series),the XIII trilogy, and of course XV.

I played ff8 and ffx when i was 17 and though i liked both overall X was better to me because of the story and relationships that involved tidus and it was the more realistic story out of the 2.i havent played ffx since 2005 so im not sure how id feel about it now though.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 month ago#182
KingPiccolo posted...
I played ff8 and ffx when i was 17 and though i liked both overall X was better to me because of the story and relationships that involved tidus and it was the more realistic story out of the 2.i havent played ffx since 2005 so im not sure how id feel about it now though.
X's battle system is solid, but it's very linear (precursor to the infamous "hallway simulator" of XIII), Tidus is painfully whiny until very close to the end, also lacking in common sense, most of the rest of the cast aren't much better (Auron being the main exception), most of the minigames are drek, the so-called "romance" is pure, unadulterated cringe, and Spira is poorly developed. And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
1 month ago#183
1Tekkaman posted...
X's battle system is solid, but it's very linear (precursor to the infamous "hallway simulator" of XIII), Tidus is painfully whiny until very close to the end, also lacking in common sense, most of the rest of the cast aren't much better (Auron being the main exception), most of the minigames are drek, the so-called "romance" is pure, unadulterated cringe, and Spira is poorly developed. And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

So much opinion there
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: Merrith

Merrith
1 month ago#184
KingPiccolo posted...
@Merrith hmmm i like your honesty and you maybe onto something.ff8 was the first game i watched but ff9 was the first game i owned and i was 15 at the time so that could play alot into why i love the game so much.ff9 was relatable to me in alot of ways as a kid and im sure ff15 will be the same for a another 15 year old that play it as thier first or second ff game and it will be the best to them while im like "hell no its the worse"

I've seen many people quote it that your first FF game ends up being your favorite a lot of the time. Many times it's an introduction into what a good rpg story can do as far as having an affect on you while playing through the game, and it's hard for anything after it to live up to that. I'm a bit of a weird case with FF's, since I was very young when I played my first (the original, on the NES)...and while those early games have some history, later entries are just clearly better and bigger with greater story emphasis to the point where I wouldn't rank the original above anything since IV on the SNES.

IV is actually probably my biggest "nostalgia" game, as I never played II or III (nor any of their different ports/versions that they've later come out with), and while I played the original quite a bit, IV was really where I sunk my teeth completely into an FF game and was completely into the story, etc. It's probably why I still have IV in a group of games vying for last spot or two in my top 5 all time, despite the fact that other games clearly have improved on its formula and systems, etc.

For the longest time, I thought the debate between VI and Chrono Trigger for best rpg of all time was going to rage forever in my head...then I finally caved and got a playstation and played VII, and its story and gameplay just grabbed me harder than any other game has since (with possible exception of MMO's, but I have a whole different history with those). I've enjoyed some FF's very much since I played VII, such as Tactics, X, IX, and XII (although I don't rank any of those above VI, either), in varying degrees and for various reasons...but none have had the impact on me that playing VII did, for whatever reason. That's why I feel VI and VII were the pinnacle for myself, though obviously every game has stuff I think could be improved on.

User Info: Merrith

Merrith
1 month ago#185
1Tekkaman posted...

I've always heard the linear criticism of X, although obviously everyone pretty much agrees XIII took that ball and ran with it to the extreme..but for whatever reason when I played X, it never felt all that linear. Maybe because I traveled back to previous towns to recruit for blitzball, or do monster hunting from earlier zones to help break up the pace...but also just because in X, for me it always felt like you were traveling TO a single place. More so than maybe any of the other games, at least as far as how long that goal lasts...you're traveling TO Zanarkand as this big goal of most of the game.

The Tidus hate is a real thing, although the whole laughing scene and "whiny" parts of the character weren't big deals for me. Kind of reminds of me "knees too sharp" or "lens flare" complaints you see quite a bit. It was there, but I guess personally it just didn't bother me enough to detract from the rest of the story. Frankly I liked the romance in X far better than Squall/Rinoa in VIII, or even Zidane and Garnet in IX. For whatever reason the stakes seemed higher to me with X, story just grabbed me a bit more with the blind devotion to religion in Spira, and the kind of fatalism everyone seemed to have there (I actually thought they did a good job of fleshing this out throughout the game).

The only mini game I could never stand was lightning dodging, the rest were all fine and easy enough for me. Blitzball gets very tedious, but I did have fun building up different types of teams and learning abilities for everyone (from the ridiculously overpowered Brother in early to mid levels...to the one team that is pretty weak at low levels but majority of them turn into absolute monsters if you level them up to 80+ in blitzball). Liked it far better than Chocobo Hot and Cold, which wasn't bad or anything but lacked...well everything as far as being interesting or the slightest bit challenging (just my opinion, obviously). Ironically Triple Triad is about the only thing from VIII I actually like, though it doesn't save the rest of the game for me by any stretch.

Yeah I don't know...if I'm ranking VII through X for the PS1 and 2 eras (since XII is a very different type of game, and the gap between its release and X's is actually longer than the gap between VII and X's), I'd have to go VII, X, IX, VIII. Now there's a big gap between VII and X for me, and probably as big or bigger a gap between IX and VIII on the other end (I just personally really didn't like VIII at all)...but everyone has their own reasons. I'd agree X overall cast of characters weren't nearly as strong (though most people like Auron quite a bit, and I didn't find Tidus nearly as bad as most do...liked Yuna as well) as some other games, but X's story and the combat were right up there near the top for me among all the games. Really enjoyed the Sphere Grid system, as well.

I've actually read some articles that look at how Western fans and Japanese fans of FF games rank them, and X ranks much higher over in Japan than in the West overall...with heavy speculation on the idea that the voice actors were just so much better in Japanese versus English versions. I didn't have a real problem with the VA's, but I can fully admit many of them weren't top notch, either.

KingPiccolo
1 month ago#186
1Tekkaman posted...
X's battle system is solid, but it's very linear (precursor to the infamous "hallway simulator" of XIII),

I remember the first time i played ffx i felt the battles simulation was watred down when compared to 9 and 8 especially with auron and tidus useful attack only being thier basic attack.i think this is why some people appeal to games like 7 and 8 more not only because it was thier introduction or because of nostalgia but the main characters in 7 and 8 had more skills because of magic that could be utilized in battles such as demi and water.

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#187
Any reason for why Tidus couldnĀ“t use magic in your game? Because just like in Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII, everyone can do mostly everything (Overdrives, Lancer and Summoning are the only things that differenciate them.) in Final Fantasy X.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
[Show...A Little More Respect ...For Faerie Tales, Riskbreaker.]

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
1 month ago#188
KingPiccolo posted...
auron and tidus useful attack only being thier basic attack.

...did you even get past the start?
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

KingPiccolo
1 month ago#189
Merrith posted...
I've seen many people quote it that your first FF game ends up being your favorite a lot of the time. Many times it's an introduction into what a good rpg story can do as far as having an affect on you while playing through the game, and it's hard for anything after it to live up to that. I'm a bit of a weird case with FF's, since I was very young when I played my first (the original, on the NES)...and while those early games have some history, later entries are just clearly better and bigger with greater story emphasis to the point where I wouldn't rank the original above anything since IV on the SNES.

IV is actually probably my biggest "nostalgia" game, as I never played II or III (nor any of their different ports/versions that they've later come out with), and while I played the original quite a bit, IV was really where I sunk my teeth completely into an FF game and was completely into the story, etc. It's probably why I still have IV in a group of games vying for last spot or two in my top 5 all time, despite the fact that other games clearly have improved on its formula and systems, etc.

For the longest time, I thought the debate between VI and Chrono Trigger for best rpg of all time was going to rage forever in my head...then I finally caved and got a playstation and played VII, and its story and gameplay just grabbed me harder than any other game has since (with possible exception of MMO's, but I have a whole different history with those). I've enjoyed some FF's very much since I played VII, such as Tactics, X, IX, and XII (although I don't rank any of those above VI, either), in varying degrees and for various reasons...but none have had the impact on me that playing VII did, for whatever reason. That's why I feel VI and VII were the pinnacle for myself, though obviously every game has stuff I think could be improved on.

Wow you been through a journey with the series so im guessing you are around 40 Final fantasy might be the longest running series after mario but it goes to show you how intresting the games are when you have day ones still playing every new instalment that tbey drop.the oldest i played was 6 and for some reason the graphics of that game didnt bother me like 7's did because i think my brain cannot stand poloygons unless done a certain way.IX set the standard to high for me and i feel like the last best game was x-2 even though the story was pretty silly,everything else was amazing about it especially the battle simulation which i still think was the last best one that they ever did on the PlayStation in general.

KingPiccolo
1 month ago#190
FlameMagician posted...
...did you even get past the start?

Dude i beat the game like 4 times
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. We can all agree that lX Vlll Vll?
  • Topic Archived