• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. We can all agree that lX Vlll Vll?

User Info: Merrith

Merrith
2 days ago#131
Nobody will ever settle the "this game is definitely the best and everyone should accept it" argument. For one, there's enough differences in so many areas between all the games that are really basic taste choices.

The idea of the true high fantasy v. more futuristic/steampunk elements in some of the games (this is why sometimes you see quite a lot that like both IV and IX, although sometimes you can throw VI in there as it's only steampunk lite).

The fact that compared to what came before, VII and VIII were both pretty large departures from the overall formula for FF games prior to the PS era (some like both, others really like one but not the other, etc).

Games that didn't disguise the linearity as well as the plot progresses for significant portions of the game (thinking mainly XIII here in the biggest way, but many had the same issue with X)

The first game bias, where for many people the one that got them hooked is the game that they're going to really feel most attached to, and by default just think none of the rest ever quite lived up to.

The games that featured very big departures from previous formulas (Thinking XII here mainly, although obviously the two MMO's are totally different genres that most people kind of think of separate anyways. Also XV to a degree it seems, though I haven't personally played XV).

Also people's weight factors for what they enjoy, whether it focuses on story, combat systems, character design (and everyone's personal tastes apply inside this one, as well), side content/post game content (V bounces around people's rankings a lot, because while the story probably isn't up there with some of the other titles, the job system is pretty widely recognized to be great).

User Info: Darth_Havok

Darth_Havok
2 days ago#132
OMG. This is the worst topic. Opinions exist. Yours is NOT right. It's also NOT wrong. It's just an opinion. And telling someone they're not a true fan if they don't agree with you is the height of stupidity.
XBOX GT: Guilty Griever
PSN: Darth-Griever

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
2 days ago#133
Darth_Havok posted...
OMG. This is the worst topic. Opinions exist. Yours is NOT right. It's also NOT wrong. It's just an opinion. And telling someone they're not a true fan if they don't agree with you is the height of stupidity.

And arrogance.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: DartDragoon

DartDragoon
2 days ago#134
9 aged terribly IMO. Battle system is so damn slow that it's unbearable.
PSN: AstroZombie29
Currently Playing: WoW, FFVIII:Remastered, God of War

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
2 days ago#135
DartDragoon posted...

I honestly don't get that. It isn't that slow, certainly not compared to, say, The Legend of Dragoon (a longtime favorite of mine, make no mistake).
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Merrith

Merrith
1 day ago#136
1Tekkaman posted...
DartDragoon posted...

I honestly don't get that. It isn't that slow, certainly not compared to, say, The Legend of Dragoon (a longtime favorite of mine, make no mistake).

It has always felt pretty slow and basic to me, but I wasn't as big of a fan of IX's combat systems in general compared to stuff like V/VI/VII/Tactics/X. Not that it was bad, nor did I think Legend of Dragoon's was bad, either.

Now with the remaster and the option to speed up the game, does that also affect combat being faster? I've been meaning to play through the remaster versions of IX, X, and XII at some point and IX was going to be first on my list.

User Info: DartDragoon

DartDragoon
1 day ago#137
1Tekkaman posted...
DartDragoon posted...

I gotta admit it's been a while since I fired up LoD. Maybe I'd get the same feeling
PSN: AstroZombie29
Currently Playing: WoW, FFVIII:Remastered, God of War

User Info: spccew

spccew
1 day ago#138
Merrith posted...

Now with the remaster and the option to speed up the game, does that also affect combat being faster? I've been meaning to play through the remaster versions of IX, X, and XII at some point and IX was going to be first on my list.

Yes. The speed booster speeds up everything, but it can be negative in battles with the ATB system, since it will speed up the enemy's ATB as well.

I love IX, but the battle system annoys me with how slow it can be, and the randomness of Add Status, and trying to land Stop with Vivi during Excalibur 2 level 1 runs.
1Tekkaman posted...
DartDragoon posted...

...battle is much faster in LoD than IX. Kind of part of being an instant gratification turn based system
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: KingPiccolo

KingPiccolo
1 day ago#140
spccew posted...
Yes. The speed booster speeds up everything, but it can be negative in battles with the ATB system, since it will speed up the enemy's ATB as well.

I love IX, but the battle system annoys me with how slow it can be, and the randomness of Add Status, and trying to land Stop with Vivi during Excalibur 2 level 1 runs.

You are so annoying,i hate gamers like you.

1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. We can all agree that lX Vlll Vll?
  • Post New Message