• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Dumbest moment in the franchise?

User Info: OverlordDeath

OverlordDeath
2 days ago#181
I agree that people take Xs fake laughing scene out of context/take it too far, but not liking it's still acceptable...but given it's intentional and the audiences reaction is expected, I don't think it can be called "bad" writing, per se. It did exactly what it was supposed to, and is acknowledged as weird and insane in-game, too.

As for XIII, saying you can backtrack everywhere is a complete and utter lie: the only open area is Gran Pulse, everything else is still linear...and you don't get access to anywhere you've been before that point. X at least lets you go back to most places you've been already, so by default it's far more open than XIII ever gets. Also, given XIIIs linearity is one of the biggest reasons people hate it...saying linearity isn't a factor in a games quality seems like a huge lie, too.

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
2 days ago#182
Kaliesto posted...
Just keep in mind that the VII script was not properly translated at times, and the original Japanese Script clears up a few issues.

Did Square bother to correct the script in any of the ports over the years? I'm drawing a blank on that here.
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~

User Info: Kaliesto

Kaliesto
2 days ago#183
Brocknoth posted...
Did Square bother to correct the script in any of the ports over the years? I'm drawing a blank on that here.

I don't know, I heard the International Version was slightly different but I don't know by how much.
Gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat DramaFAQs-misterbum

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
2 days ago#184
BreakevenCloud posted...

BreakevenCloud posted...
The issue is that even Tifa wasn’t fully convinced that her memories were correct. She doesn’t remember Cloud moving her and when Cloud knows things he’s apparently not supposed to, that throws her off.

Given the fact she suffered a life threatening injury and watched everyone she knows get slaughtered, it’s not hard to imagine her suffering from PTSD and fuzzy/suppressed memories due to the trauma.

The journey is equally about her verifying her own memories. Not to mention, if she had blurted out everything, it, in all likelihood, shatters Cloud’s psyche and ruins him.
The issue is not necessarily cloud. It's that she tells no one else. Something isn't right there. You would think she'd at least have mentioned this to Barret and aerith.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
(edited 2 days ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: roxas9001

roxas9001
2 days ago#186
Litane posted...
BreakevenCloud posted...
Litane posted...
For me it's in FFXIII when the party kills Orphan knowing full well that it's the end of Cocoon if they do and they just plummet out of the sky holding hands. No plan at all. What happened next with Fang and Vanille was an ass pull out of nowhere that they couldn't possibly have known about. FFXIII was full of pretty terrible writing but that takes the cake.

There actually was no ass pulling in XIII, just all the relevant game info was stashed in the data log instead of incorporated into the gameplay

There was nothing in the datalog that told me that Fang and Vanille could both become Ragnarok and pull a crystal pillar out of their ass. I had no idea how the party turned back from Crystal (twice) in the end either. Apparently all of the plot convenience was chalked up to a God helping them the whole time - which wasn't in the datalog, it was in material outside of the game itself

There was buuuut due to the poor wording of the eng dub, it's easy to miss.
Ah yes.. Laguna. A man so manly that God himself will reach out his hand in an open field to hold the rope so he can use Desperado.

User Info: pichuscute

pichuscute
2 days ago#187
OverlordDeath posted...
As for XIII, saying you can backtrack everywhere is a complete and utter lie: the only open area is Gran Pulse, everything else is still linear...and you don't get access to anywhere you've been before that point. X at least lets you go back to most places you've been already, so by default it's far more open than XIII ever gets. Also, given XIIIs linearity is one of the biggest reasons people hate it...saying linearity isn't a factor in a games quality seems like a huge lie, too.
Who said that? I didn't see anyone say that. You can backtrack, just only really in the second half of the game (both on Gran Pulse and after, btw). That's still a lot, though, and more than people let on.

FFX does let you go back to everywhere, but gives you far less reason to ever do it. FFXIII didn't let you return to old areas if they didn't offer any reason to go back, but FFX doesn't care, which highlights just how linear they are imo. Unless I really want to play a minigame (which chances are I won't), I'm never going to backtrack in FFX. In FFXIII, I have 60+ quests/bosses and tons of item farming and character building I can do, giving me an actual reason to stay in the world longer.

Linearity isn't necessarily a problem either way, though. It's down to personal taste, whether the player wants to play something linear. Generally, in JRPGs, people just very much prefer freedom. It meshes better with most of the stories and designs of these types of games. Linearity clashes. That said, I personally consider FFXIII an exception, as the themes do actually work together with the linearity (and then it opens up later, like I've said). It's not perfect, but I like it a lot myself.
Looking forward to: Buying more retro games, BotW2, FFVIIR, SMTV someday.
Fav series: Zelda, Mario Kart, WipEout, Custom Robo, SMT, Final Fantasy.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: sano83

sano83
2 days ago#188
So, all the dumb moments are mentioned?

What about Galuf bumping his head and having amnesia by flying from a world to another in a freaking meteor?
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
[Show...A Little More Respect ...For Faerie Tales, Riskbreaker.]

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
2 days ago#189
roxas9001 posted...
What does the Japanese say?
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: roxas9001

roxas9001
2 days ago#190
ArtiRock posted...
roxas9001 posted...
What does the Japanese say?

It's about the same except you gotta know some norse mythos stuff and read between the lines a bit.
Ah yes.. Laguna. A man so manly that God himself will reach out his hand in an open field to hold the rope so he can use Desperado.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Dumbest moment in the franchise?
  • Post New Message