• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Dumbest moment in the franchise?

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 days ago#1
What is for you the dumbest mandatory (mean that you have to watch it while playing the game) moment in the franchise?
That moment that when you are playing a game that you love (or not) it makes you think "the hell are the characters doing, who wrote this crap?"

For me is a tie between the wedding scene in Final Fantasy X and the assassination attempt in Final Fantasy VIII.

Sorry, forgot about the spoilers. Thank you TomorrowDog for pointing it out.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
[Show...A Little More Respect ...For Faerie Tales, Riskbreaker.]
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
4 days ago#2
I'm going to presume the mods will let us get away with unmarked spoilers since the entire point of the topic is asking for them.

FFVIII memory loss scene takes the cake easily. Irvine indicating that he decided to wait weeks before saying something at that moment left him as my most despised character. He's just headscratchingly stupid.

FFXV has a thousand idiot moments too but that games story is an incomplete fever dream so eh.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7lOxq8wmo8EACam5yamFuseoWkDOplr
GameFAQs Lounge playlist.

User Info: jordina

jordina
4 days ago#3
The time skip in ffxv. Why did they even bother if they weren't going to follow it up with a substantial arc? Also how Luna's character was handled. And what happened to Ignis not being explained until dlc a year later. Promptos revelation not having the desired impact because we didn't have the context and story for it until the following June. Utterly baffling decisions.

Lightning returns largely consisting of lightning giving speeches to other characters. Did the writer just give up here?

FFX-2s opening. Love the game but that whole thing with Leblanc and the dressphere was dumb.

Oh and the absolute crowing winner. Cid raines of FFXIII. What was that all about? I can assume it was something that was cut from the game. They make a big scene about him still being alive and then he gets shot minutes later.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
4 days ago#4
For me:

FFIX: The end battle just HUGELY disappointed me. Kuja just should have been the main boss/villain through to the end... but I see what they were doing....it just didn't work for me.

FFX: Again, main villain related same like FFIX....Jecht being Sin was just a major wtf moment for me and turned me off from feeling motivated in reaching the end. Again, I would be more satisfied if Seymour was the final boss as it should be.

This is essentially why I give props to FFVI even though I still rank it below FF7/8/9 and 10. At least it motivated me to get to the end with a very satisfying villain. 7 and 6 had the best villains, hands down.

And even though FFVIII is my 2nd fav, I agree that the memory loss scene was absolutely cringe-worthy. In fact, I still have to make myself sort of pretend like this scene doesn't exist because of how much I love the first disc and all the really awesome parts of FFVIII that I do enjoy. Ughh....
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3

User Info: Litane

Litane
4 days ago#5
For me it's in FFXIII when the party kills Orphan knowing full well that it's the end of Cocoon if they do and they just plummet out of the sky holding hands. No plan at all. What happened next with Fang and Vanille was an ass pull out of nowhere that they couldn't possibly have known about. FFXIII was full of pretty terrible writing but that takes the cake.
I've got the house all to myself, I've got the world all to myself.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
4 days ago#6
Litane posted...
For me it's in FFXIII when the party kills Orphan knowing full well that it's the end of Cocoon if they do and they just plummet out of the sky holding hands. No plan at all. What happened next with Fang and Vanille was an ass pull out of nowhere that they couldn't possibly have known about. FFXIII was full of pretty terrible writing but that takes the cake.

There actually was no ass pulling in XIII, just all the relevant game info was stashed in the data log instead of incorporated into the gameplay
Never forget Cait Sith #1.

User Info: Litane

Litane
4 days ago#7
BreakevenCloud posted...
Litane posted...

There actually was no ass pulling in XIII, just all the relevant game info was stashed in the data log instead of incorporated into the gameplay

There was nothing in the datalog that told me that Fang and Vanille could both become Ragnarok and pull a crystal pillar out of their ass. I had no idea how the party turned back from Crystal (twice) in the end either. Apparently all of the plot convenience was chalked up to a God helping them the whole time - which wasn't in the datalog, it was in material outside of the game itself
I've got the house all to myself, I've got the world all to myself.

User Info: spccew

spccew
4 days ago#8
I guess you missed the whole context of Barthandelus telling the l'cie to kill Orphan or he'd kill anyone anyway? He summoned loads of creatures from pulse to kill the citizens, goaded the Calvary into trying to kill Orphan, and we're still asking "why they attack if it means cocoon fall? Durrr"?

Fang had actually been Ragnarok herself twice before becoming it with Vanille. Once in the war of transgression, and once with the main party there.

User Info: Dropped_Emil

Dropped_Emil
4 days ago#9
It's not mandatory but it's something most people who played FFVI have seen and it's canon:
Celes and Locke starting a relationship so easily after Locke was searching through the world of ruin for a way to resurrect his first love, instead of searching for Celes. One he knows is dead, while the other may or may not be dead. He didn't even try to find out. I still like them though.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
4 days ago#10
Litane posted...

Someone wasn't paying attention. Cocoon was doomed either way
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Dumbest moment in the franchise?
  • Post New Message