• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Most overrated game in the series?

User Info: VanilleHopen

VanilleHopen
3 days ago#1
Goes to FInal Fantasy IV..

THere are actually people out there that think it's the best in the series when it is meh on every level..

The battle system is bland,
THere is no character customization (Kain learns NOTHING NOT A SINGLE MOVE from the moment you get him to the end of the game LMFAO)
It has ugly towns that all look the same.
The story is meh, and nothing special by today standards.

Anybody who thinks it is the best in the series is riding purely on Nostalgia and nothing else.. IT's just not that great.. One of the weaker entries in the series.. FF started getting great at 5..
Currently living on Haru's forehead from P5 and I have a huge 20 acre backyard.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 days ago#2
Have to disagree; IV would be the first game that made a shot at an epic story. I've seen worse battle systems (I'll take "meh" over a mess like X-2), character customization is hardly my highest priority, and I wouldn't call the towns ugly.

Most overrated IMO is VI. Considered by many the be-all and end-all of Final Fantasy, the story is pretty thin (though enjoyable), dialogue only rarely affected by party composition, most of the cast get little development, and the second half consists mainly of a series of fetch quests with boss battles thrown in for flavor. Not a bad game by any means, but not even remotely deserving the reverence it gets.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: sano83

sano83
3 days ago#3
If you are talking about how accounts on this site rank it vs how I feel about it, then is easily Final Fantasy VI.

If you are talking in general, then is easily Final Fantasy VII.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
Garrus Vakarian - "So. Who needs their ass kicked now?"

User Info: VanilleHopen

VanilleHopen
3 days ago#4
sano83 posted...
If you are talking about how accounts on this site rank it vs how I feel about it, then is easily Final Fantasy VI.

FF Vi is at least a very solid good game... FFIV is medicore at best and people list it as their favorite.
Currently living on Haru's forehead from P5 and I have a huge 20 acre backyard.

User Info: sano83

sano83
3 days ago#5
VanilleHopen posted...
sano83 posted...

FF Vi is at least a very solid good game... FFIV is medicore at best and people list it as their favorite.

I had a terrible time playing it and was bored the whole time.
neither the characters (good and evil) or the story interested me.
Last battle was good, though.

Final Fantasy IV, on the other hand, I only saw Montblanc rank it high, but for me is compeltely forgeteable, other than Cecil going from bad ass to wimpy, I dont remember much.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
Garrus Vakarian - "So. Who needs their ass kicked now?"
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: cazza_mr

cazza_mr
3 days ago#6
For me definitely XII, I didnt like the combat style, the license board thing was a mess, the gambit system if properly set up let's the game play itself and I didnt find the story engaging at all. It's the only FF I've played that I couldn't be bothered to finish even though I played at least 3/4 of it, I stopped playing just before Reddas leaves the party.
Psn profile - cazzamr
Trophys platinum-15, gold-143, silver-581, bronze-2911, total-3650

User Info: MalakTawus

MalakTawus
3 days ago#7
What i personally feel is that FFIX is the most overrated.
Just to be clear, i like it a lot, but some consider it one of the best FF, if not the absolute best, while im not even sure i would put it in my top 5.....
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
3 days ago#8
Don't like the term overrated but the praise heaped on VI always kind of confounded me. The franchise was getting awfully fatigued at this point, VI was the "best" one at that point in a vacuum but it was also still using the same cookie-cutter RPG Maker-style graphics and engine after 6 games in. Chrono Trigger showed that the SNES had the capability to make a vibrant, unique looking game on the scale of an RPG. To look back at FFVI, it is pretty bland and unambitious.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7lOxq8wmo8EACam5yamFuseoWkDOplr
GameFAQs Lounge playlist.

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
3 days ago#9
Either VI or VII.

V is underrated as all hell, might be one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Real shame it didn't get the exposure it deserved.
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
3 days ago#10
6. The game is super imbalanced, there are a mountain of party members and the story falls apart by the wor. Yet people praise it to the level of being one of the greatest of all time.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Most overrated game in the series?
  • Post New Message