• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Wait....native Japanese people pronounce her name "Aeris"?

User Info: spikethedevil

spikethedevil
2 months ago#31
spikethedevil posted...
I heard Aerisu with an almost silent U. Check out the video I posted to hear the official English and Japanese pronunciation.

A garbage pod!? It's a smegging garbage pod!

User Info: Azaret

Azaret
2 months ago#32
GreenKnight127 posted...
Azaret posted...
GreenKnight127 posted...
Azaret posted...
GreenKnight127 posted...
Azaret posted...
That's completely nonsensical. You really didn't think that through.

What's nonsensical? The fact that Japanese people call her Aeris?

I'm just pointing it out.

Everyone is saying Japanese people call her Aerisu and stuff, but I'm hearing them call her "Aeris" in videos. So which is right, which is wrong?

And why are people so quick to shoot down Aeris? Japanese people themselves call her that.

Your claim that they use non-Japanese names for their characters to pander to western audiences, and your claim that they should not be doing this because they don't have a language that can write it how they intended. That's what is nonsensical. They can name their characters whatever they want. And you can't stop them. They decided to name their characters names like Luneth, Aerith, Celes, and Sephiroth. Just because their own alphabet is too limited to be able to write it exactly that way doesn't mean that's not their names.

In the video I linked to, did the guy say Aeris, Aerith, or Aerisu?

If you met a foreign girl from Iceland named Guðrún, and you found yourself not able to pronounce her name properly, and your alphabet doesn't contain the letter ð, that doesn't matter, her name is still Guðrún. You might pronounce it as Goodrun, and that's fine. Expected. The name is foreign to you. Its OK. But her name is still Guðrún. They're also pronouncing Cloud's name as "Kuraudo", does that mean his name is Kuraudo?
Do you understand why your posts are not logical now?

So, you, like, just can't answer a simple question? Okay. Welcome to my ignore list.

So like you can't understand a simple argument? Japanese gamers pronounce her name as Earis or Earisu with a faint u because they can't say th. There, are you happy that I answered your irrelevant question. In some countries they'd say Aerit instead, like where I live, because they also find th to be difficult.
Now, can you actually be logical and address what i said or do you enjoy being obtuse on purpose.
(edited 2 months ago)

spikethedevil
2 months ago#33
TBF You and Azaret have been dodging each others questions.

spikethedevil
2 months ago#34
Azaret posted...
So like you can't understand a simple argument? Japanese gamers pronounce her name as Earis or Earisu with a faint u because they can't say th. There, are you happy that I answered your irrelevant question. In some countries they'd say Aerit instead, like where I live, because they also find th to be difficult.
Now, can you actually be logical and address what i said or do you enjoy being obtuse on purpose.

User Info: Azaret

Azaret
2 months ago#35
spikethedevil posted...
TBF You and Azaret have been dodging each others questions.

His question has been answered several times. Japanese gamers struggle with th so they say earis or earisu with a faint u. The question is entirely irrelevant though, because Japanese gamers did NOT create her character. Squaresoft did.

User Info: xeno_x-blade20

xeno_x-blade20
2 months ago#36
They do pronounce the u, however because it's at the end of the word and after an unvoiced consonant, it's an unvoiced "u", hence why you can barely hear it if at all. It's why you only usually hear "gozaimas" for "gozaimasu" and "des" for "desu" for example. Though, I've also heard it sometimes depends on the context whether it's pronounced "su" or "ss".
Roman titles, Latin names, Japanese characters, Western vehicles, and Arthurian weapons. - Final Fantasy
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: FFlolol

FFlolol
2 months ago#37
As someone else mentioned, they don't have the th sound.

I believe her name in Japanese is Earisu. The -su at the end is a way to somewhat imitate the -th sound.

-su would be 'suh' rater than 'sue'

Aerith is the correct localization.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Ecclesiastes273

Ecclesiastes273
2 months ago#38
TC, as others have brought up, the "u" is unvoiced and often just straight up silent.

Also, you're slightly deranged.
Stop reporting each other. Go post in other topics and chill. -spartan99ruler (Moderator)

spikethedevil
2 months ago#39
TCs run off lol.

User Info: Cobra1010

Cobra1010
2 months ago#40
NeithOF posted...
Kingudamu Haatsu: Basu by Suripu

btw Koreans don't have the letter F so they pronounce coffee as copy

I dont get this. F is easy unlike L and R where you gotta manipulate you tongue a certain way.
GG Riot - http://i.imgur.com/PinGPhR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Wait....native Japanese people pronounce her name "Aeris"?
  • Post New Message