• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Wait....native Japanese people pronounce her name "Aeris"?

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
3 days ago#131
Shin_Gallon posted...
I pronounce it Aeris because I understand how Japanese pronunciation functions.

More like it has nothing to do with you understanding Japanese, you're actually just wrong.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
(edited 3 days ago)
Shin_Gallon posted...

Okay then I'm calling Cloud Crowdo.
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
3 days ago#133
kylemcauliffe15 posted...
Okay then I'm calling Cloud Crowdo.

It's pronounced C-Loud. Get it right...gosh... /s
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~

User Info: spikethedevil

spikethedevil
3 days ago#134
Finis-XII posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

More like it has nothing to do with you understanding Japanese, you're actually just wrong.

Dude he's just trolling at this point.
A garbage pod!? It's a smegging garbage pod!

User Info: DsPsofLife

DsPsofLife
2 days ago#135
Finis-XII posted...
DsPsofLife posted...
I will always call her Aeris, since that was her name in the PS1 game, it seems weird that they are now calling her Aerith. Aeris sounds much better.

Aerith is canon while "Aeris" isn't.

My 2 copies of the original PS1 version,and their manuals say her name is Aeris Gainsborough. Calling her Aerith, is like DC Comics re-conning Batman to Batmon.

User Info: spccew

spccew
2 days ago#136
DsPsofLife posted...
My 2 copies of the original PS1 version,and their manuals say her name is Aeris Gainsborough. Calling her Aerith, is like DC Comics re-conning Batman to Batmon.

It's not as if English translations of the Japanese language have ever been wrong. /s

User Info: spikethedevil

spikethedevil
2 days ago#137
DsPsofLife posted...
Finis-XII posted...
DsPsofLife posted...
I will always call her Aeris, since that was her name in the PS1 game, it seems weird that they are now calling her Aerith. Aeris sounds much better.

She has been Aerith since KH1. It’s not a recent change.
A garbage pod!? It's a smegging garbage pod!
DsPsofLife posted...

If you don't actually know and is not just trolling, trying to piss people off or just being plain old ignorant: When the original came out, the translator translated her name the wrong way i.e. a mistransliteration, and since it was the 90s, communication about the error wasn't fast enough and so it remained Aeris until KH.

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
2 days ago#139
DsPsofLife posted...
Finis-XII posted...
DsPsofLife posted...

So what? In my copy of Crisis Core she's referred to as Aerith Gainsborough. In KH1 and every other official source since at least 2001 her name is Aerith Gainsborough. Terrible and irrelevant analogy.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: DsPsofLife

DsPsofLife
2 days ago#140
Finis-XII posted...
DsPsofLife posted...
Finis-XII posted...
DsPsofLife posted...

So what? In my copy of Crisis Core she's referred to as Aerith Gainsborough. In KH1 and every other official source since at least 2001 her name is Aerith Gainsborough. Terrible and irrelevant analogy.

So they misspelled her name in spinoff games, what is your point?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Wait....native Japanese people pronounce her name "Aeris"?
  • Post New Message