• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Will the FFVII Remake bankrupt Square Enix?

User Info: GreenTreeClub

GreenTreeClub
4 weeks ago#1
I was actually thinking about this all day today and this line of thinking brings up some real questions.

Considering that part 1 took 3 years to make and a considerable amount of money (100 million+ I think someone threw around in another topic), the cost of this series might increase exponentially for a few reasons.

1. We don't know how many episodes this will be in full.

Part one covers a small part of the game. I don't know if everything is confirmed, but it covers everything till you leave Midgar. This is not very far into the game.

2. The costs can't go anywhere but up.

Like I said, this first part has been very expensive. Considering that much still needs to be covered and the world gets much larger after leaving Midgar, development time and costs can't go anywhere but up. This is unless they have a specific plan on how to cut costs and shorten the amount of areas you visit.

3. Development time will get longer, bringing forth new problems

Unless they have a specific plan on how they will cut down the development time considerably, many years will pass before every part can come out. What happens in those years? Technology changes, development team members come and go, management comes and goes. Many things can change. They might, for example, have to decide if graphics will improve many years down the line to keep up with the technology or stay the same.

They will also need to make sure to keep the talent they have. This will be hard in such a long project. As the years go by, they will need to decide whether to keep game mechanics the same or change them (we saw many graphics/gameplay changes during Xenosaga, for example).

The future economic situation and Square Enix's finances (which aren't exactly great and on the decline) also need to be taken into account. Management might decide to pull the plug when costs start to balloon and this project might NEVER get completed.

My prediction: Square Enix will not be able to handle the cost of this massive project. Costs will balloon and Square Enix will be on the brink of bankruptcy and the project will be ended prematurely.

I HOPE I am wrong about this, but I don't know if most run of the mill gamers with no financial savvy truly understand the situation and how precarious it is.

User Info: N3wdisea5e

N3wdisea5e
4 weeks ago#2
I think if they tried to do it all at one it could have potentially

User Info: Breast

Breast
4 weeks ago#3
Battle systems and graphics engine are in place, those are like the two toughest hurdles to get to the smoother development phase

They'll also have plenty of feedback to work with from varying sources

User Info: Flanteus

Flanteus
4 weeks ago#4
For 300$ per part? I don't think they will have any problem.
Memento Mori

N3wdisea5e
4 weeks ago#5
Flanteus posted...
For 300$ per part? I don't think they will have any problem.

Pretty sure it's 50 bucks on Amazon

User Info: Flanteus

Flanteus
4 weeks ago#6
N3wdisea5e posted...
Pretty sure it's 50 bucks on Amazon
Every single CE will be sold out (for each PART), and they will make as much as they need to be financially stable, the 50-60$ ones are just an icing on the cake.

Memento Mori

User Info: sevisan86

sevisan86
4 weeks ago#7
You are speaking like they were going to give away the games for free, instead of the insane amounts of cash they'll get just from the initial sales on PS4.

User Info: nightblade_hawk

nightblade_hawk
4 weeks ago#8
They probably wait how well FFVIIR - Episode 1 will sell and then may or may not continue the project.

If this for some reason would become the next Mass Effect Andromeda that could happen.
Super Nintendo Fan since 1991

N3wdisea5e
4 weeks ago#9
Them not finishing would do way more harm then good to them

User Info: nightblade_hawk

nightblade_hawk
4 weeks ago#10
N3wdisea5e posted...
Them not finishing would do way more harm then good to them
So would releasing a second part to a game that didn't really sell and had a bad reputation.
Super Nintendo Fan since 1991
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Will the FFVII Remake bankrupt Square Enix?
  • Topic Archived