• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Minor interview highlights Dev 1.s Workflow and World Building in VII-R.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
1 year ago#11
Acheron18 posted...
Action RPG and Final Fantasy VII should not be uttered in the same sentence. Why do a remake of a beloved game if you're gonna completely change the type of game it is?

Why not make it a racing game? Or maybe a dance game? As long as you call it Final Fantasy VII we should be OK with Squeenix vision, right?

Select an answer:

1. Because they’ve given up

2. Because they don’t know what’s going on

3. They’re sure they’ll win

All wrong. The correct answer is: Because they can.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: NeithOF

NeithOF
1 year ago#12
I translated some parts of the interview that the guy on the TLS forum didn't. Keep in mind this is a rough translation, i am not fluent.

He splits the process of creating a location in 3 parts
Part 1: Interpretation of the locations he is in charge of from the original FF7 game
part 2: Planning modifications/additions and alterations to the location, then getting them approved through meetings as well as deciding how much resources are needed.
part 3: Actually implementing the above, then polishing up the location.

He says that because the story is already decided and the game has a linear progression (story wise) how to design a location depends on the battle scenarios that take part in it, from necessary character motions and actions to how vertical the area must be, the events/setpieces that will take place in the area etc, all are taken into consideration before creating the location
aka they use the original as direct reference on what will happen in each area, then adapt that to the new combat and additional events, taking into account how the characters will move and what actions they will have available etc then they create the location.

During the planning phase of a location they include all the elements that make up the game such as scenario, actions, terrain type, topography.
The resources ordered/asked for each location include everything, from experts on bug stuff, to character designers, scenario writers, cutscene directors, UI designers and motion directors, even texts for NPCs.

Once all this is done they of course can't just implement them arbitrarily, it is necessary to responsibly implement all the resources used and of course there are always issues and shortcomings that will be visible here and there so they promote revisions and when they move forward to the next location they keep in mind "how can we improve even more on this one".

For the above reasons the amount of work constantly gets increased but that is something that can't be helped/is inevitable since that's exactly what allows them to achieve what they really want freely. Even when keeping the games volume in mind the amount of work they have to do for each location seems as if you're making a game from 0 and because of that there is a lot of enthusiasm.

He also confirms that the planning phase for all locations is already settled, they have already entered the "building/making" phase and the locations are already taking shape, and getting closer to how they have imagined them every day.

Last interesting part, he was asked what is the most difficult time during work and he said
"When a great idea doesn't get realized as intended due to technical difficulties which then forces modifications on the initial plan, or when someone else comes up with a brilliant new idea which makes me feel bad for myself for not coming up with it.
Because when you're feeling like you have given all the great ideas you could come up with and then someone else comes with a new overwhelmingly good idea you feel the frustration."
The realization of one of my dreams came with the beginning of a nightmare. - Roberto Ferrari 2016

User Info: furamuuru

furamuuru
1 year ago#13
I can't reach the site for some reason.

Anyone have a synopsis that can detail?

User Info: ChipNoir

ChipNoir
1 year ago#14
furamuuru posted...
I can't reach the site for some reason.

Anyone have a synopsis that can detail?

Hian "I'm looking over it, but it's pretty extensive and a big part of it is the person being interviewed explaining his work process, and the workflow/structure of the Div.1 team working on the remake.

But, here are some bullet-points :

he talks a lot about having creative freedom, and that the people on the team have the room to pursue their passion and have creative input on the work. He says, even despite the it being a legacy title with a lot of immovable parts, if you have a good idea, you can walk up and make a proposal directly to the director. He also speaks generally in a way I think that indicates a lot of work has been done, since when asked about naming some successes and failures of the project, he mentions having succeeded at creating levels with satisfying play(play the team felt satisfied with) for the locations he was in charge of. For a person to say this would indicate that gameplay systems are firmly in place, since it wouldn't be possible to determine whether to be satisfied with how gameplay works in the levels if systems were not properly implimented.

There's an interesting spot where he basically says that "while the current project (FFVIIR) is an RPG with action elements, and while we have the freedom to create the fields (levels) from a view of it being a complete action game, we cannot add action elements that do not match up with the original game, or the world (of FFVII) [li. It's not like there is an infinite amount of options to choose from]. This goes back to confirm the game is indeed an action RPG (and not a full action game as some had feared due to the listing that seemed to suggest otherwise recently). It also seems to suggest they're working hard to make an action RPG system that takes into account the systems and lore of the original game.

He expands on the above point by saying that, even so (seemingly working off of the previous notion of the action elements being limited) that he was interested in creating a game (taking inspiration from other action games) where simply walking, or maneuvering the enviroment is fun and interesting. The Japanese seems to compound into an idea that whereas the actual combat might not be that action based, he as a level designer is interesting in, and feels as if he has succeeded at making environments that express other action elements. What I take this to mean is that while they see the actual action elements as they pertain to combat to be somewhat limited by the legacy of the older game, and the lore, they see other ways of expressing active play through the use of the enviroments themselves, which might suggest things like free-running elements, climbing, platforming etc.

He talks about the transition from 2D to 3D, saying that there's an entirely new dimension (no pun intended) to the act of discovering things in the environment. While points of interest where obvious before, they might not be now, and so the environments are not just a matter of walking through; you now have to look around, search for things, explore with your eyes.

Those or more or less the only interesting parts, so I don't know if I can spare the time to really go in-depth and translate the entire thing word for word."
(message deleted)

User Info: marko7

marko7
1 year ago#16
None of this excites me purely due to the fact that SE has systematically destroyed their own credibility in the past 10 years.

The devs can sit and tell people about all the "creative freedom" and the "brilliant ideas" they have til the cows come home. If it turns out to be some butchered, half-baked mess that's sole purpose is to milk as much money out of us as possible then its a hard pass from me.
Made you look

User Info: severblade

severblade
1 year ago#17
My biggest concern is that they will butcher the story. I keep expecting to hear, this isn't a remake exactly, but a re imagining. I don't mind if the combat is more action oriented, just don't go changing the story and taking things out. I am well aware that I can still play the original, but why do a re make if you are going to change everything except the names of people and places.
Forever Zero - All things become eternal nothingness

User Info: ChipNoir

ChipNoir
1 year ago#18
severblade posted...
My biggest concern is that they will butcher the story. I keep expecting to hear, this isn't a remake exactly, but a re imagining. I don't mind if the combat is more action oriented, just don't go changing the story and taking things out. I am well aware that I can still play the original, but why do a re make if you are going to change everything except the names of people and places.

Why remake something if it's just going to be the same thing?

I need to figure out how to force people to watch the Psycho "Remake" to make that point clear. Too hard in either direction is bad.

There are over 15 games in the series with different variations of turn based combat. So I don't associate that specifically with VII as something important. It's just a framework for the other more unique elements, namely the materia system. As long as the game offers a system as deep or deeper in terms of customization, the genre doesn't matter.

As for story, as long as it feels the same, I don't mind additions that allow me to go "Wow, I never thought of it that way before.", giving me a fresh perspective.

User Info: Renzokukenexe

Renzokukenexe
1 year ago#19
ChipNoir posted...

Why remake something if it's just going to be the same thing?

Because that's what the fans asked for. Find me a single post from someone dated before the announcement who asked for FF7 but as an action RPG, I guarantee you won't find one.

People asked for a remake of FF7 because they like FF7, for some it was the story, for others the world and for some of us it was the combat. All those people who asked because they loved the combat got shafted but at least they know about it way ahead of launch because the people who loved the world and story are in for a huge gamble with modern SE in creative control.

User Info: furamuuru

furamuuru
1 year ago#20
Thank you, @ChipNoir
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Minor interview highlights Dev 1.s Workflow and World Building in VII-R.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A