• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Super late to the Horizon party but I just wanna say how awesome this game is.

User Info: Justice98405

Justice98405
1 month ago#1
Wow! Just wow, I'm only two hours into this game and it's already awesome and exceeded my hopes for the start of this adventure. I liked their Killzone games. The first one was rough around the edges but had promise, 2 was a big improvement and 3 was as well. Liberation seems like a cool side game, and Mercenary for Vita is awesome as well, showed that a FPS could be done and done well on the Vita. Shadow Fall was a bit of a misstep to me, but oh well. And now they've gone from making almost exclusively FPS' to making this fairly massive seeming open-world third person action/adventure and once again, just having started I'm already loving the game.

I'd seen footage and pretty much knew it was good and that I'd like it, but you never truly know until you play a game yourself. Immediately this game got my attention and had me interested. I thought the opening/tutorial was one of the best I've played in some time. Good job introducing the needed main characters, showing Aloy's growth and what she wants to accomplish, setting up the mystery of the tech and the world and it's state (I have avoided spoilers for that stuff, so I'm excited to get through the game and learn whatever the game has to tell me), and of course the gameplay mechanics. I also had no idea this game had a kind of scanning mechanic like in Metroid Prime, so I took to that and liked it immediately, and how it's tied into the gameplay and learning about the enemies and such, it's just really well done.

Combat is EXCITING too. I'm at the very start of the game and when one of those things gets alerted and is blaring light at you and getting ready to attack, it's a bit of a rush. Sneaking in the game is cool (already able to do it from the start and be effective is GREAT), I'm sure there will be tougher times with stealth to come, but even still, it all seems to work well, these different gameplay mechanics.

The game looks great of course and has a striking visual style. The beauty of that opening wilderness area is awesome, and the contrast of no-tech wooden homes/frontier life kind of living with these super high tech creatures, it's just really cool. They did a good job of making the world not only look great, but also be again, striking, and when there are SO many games, and SO many open-world games, doing something to make yours stand out is important.

Anyhow, I'm gonna stop gushing. So yeah, super late to the party (I just got a PS4 again the other day and last time it was before Horizon was out), but glad I made it. And if the game can keep up the quality and interest and gameplay over the course of this whole adventure, I've got some great hours of game ahead of me it seems. And I got the complete edition of the game (I got the Slim PS4 with Last of Us, God of War and Horizon) so I'll get to play with the expansion too if the game keeps my interest for that long.

I just wanted to share my early love and appreciation for this game, that's really all. No questions or anything, as I want to just play the game blind and explore it on my own without looking up stuff in advance.
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

User Info: TimeBelly

TimeBelly
1 month ago#2
Congrats on finding such a great game! I just started myself a little over a week ago. Definitely one of my favorite open world games on the PS4. Have fun!

User Info: CJT999

CJT999
1 month ago#3
As someone on the other end of the HZD experience scale (Level 60) I want to confirm that you’re impressions are correct: The game’s awesome! I wish someone could erase my memory so I could experience it anew. Enjoy!

User Info: GasmanOAV

GasmanOAV
1 month ago#4
CJT999 posted...
As someone on the other end of the HZD experience scale (Level 60) I want to confirm that you’re impressions are correct: The game’s awesome! I wish someone could erase my memory so I could experience it anew. Enjoy!
That’s the only sad part about it is you truly can’t go back and start fresh. I’ve played the game through 11 times including the introduction. I’ll do it again before the next one comes out. I too waited because of the s*** talk about this game. I’m so glad I bought it. I can’t wait for the sequel. Hopefully they can get more than two games out of this franchise.
I'm not even winded.

User Info: GodofLaziness

GodofLaziness
1 month ago#5
I'm also playing this for the 2nd time. It's such a beautiful game I keep taking pictures lol. Came up with some great onse too

User Info: rhombencephalon

rhombencephalon
1 month ago#6
I was a latecomer as well and just played through a couple months ago. Everything you say rings true to me as well. I was blown away from the jump.

Enjoy the journey!
Of course its difficult. Its called a shortcut; if it was easy, it'd just be "The Way."

Justice98405
1 month ago#7
Update: I'm just shy of 8 hours into the game, just getting out of the opening zone and doing the first things outside of it.

Game is still blowing me away constantly. I didn't know you could override the mechs and take them over. Very cool. I also love that you are able to do REALLY cool stuff so early into the game. So many games that are massive and long like this gate stuff off (and that's not always a bad thing), but Horizon is giving early on and I very much appreciate it. I'm constantly saying to myself (or to my roommate) 'man this game is impressive' and something tells me I'm going to continue saying it for some time to come.
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

User Info: CJT999

CJT999
1 month ago#8
Yeah, it's awesome when you pass through Daytower and the whole world opens up before you! It's exciting thinking of the newer, deadlier machines that might be lurking out there ...
(Non-spoiler tip: Use your EARS as well as your eyes when you're watching for machines ...)

User Info: ESaddict

ESaddict
1 month ago#9
CJT999 posted...
Yeah, it's awesome when you pass through Daytower and the whole world opens up before you! It's exciting thinking of the newer, deadlier machines that might be lurking out there ...
(Non-spoiler tip: Use your EARS as well as your eyes when you're watching for machines ...)
So true. This might be one of the only games I have to play with the sound on.

Justice98405
1 month ago#10
Update time.

I'm a bit over 15 hours into the game now. I just did my first Core and that was pretty dang cool. I've heard that the story in this game kinda ain't the best by the end (no spoilers!) but even if it falls off a cliff, the mystery and intrigue that the game starts off with and has been building has been, and will always be, and awesome part of the overall experience with this game.

Also, this game is MASSIVE. If I keep up at this pace I'll never finish this game, let alone start the expansion, before Persona 5 Royal comes out. LOL.

Lastly, anyone play the game with the HDR settings on? High Dynamic Range. The monitor I bought for my PS4 has it and the game supports it, so I turned it on. Game looks great regardless, but I notice that sometimes when there's an immediate shift in lighting, say a camera cut to another angle/location, or even sometimes just while playing the game, the visuals kinda.... dim a bit and kinda fade down or up to a new lighting range, does that make sense? It's tough to explain. Is that just Horizon and how it does lighting, or is that a HDR thing?
To the mattresses.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Super late to the Horizon party but I just wanna say how awesome this game is.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A