• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. This game has enemies done right

User Info: iSystem

iSystem
4 weeks ago#1
This is one of the few open world games where when I'm about to fight some enemies, it actually feels like there's an upcoming challenge. Like how usually a game might tell you to prepare before taking something on, welll this game pushes that for sure. I've noticed at least for myself, where each enemy encounter is a serious matter. The enemy machines feel solid and threatening.
Anyone else really enjoy the combat/enemies in this game? Specifically, how the enemy encounters feel really solid and there's even this feeling you get when you're about to take on some big machines. I can't explain it, but the enemies present more of a challenge in this game than just your typical open world rpg.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: GNS1991

GNS1991
4 weeks ago#2
That's because, minus few skills, your character does not become stronger with each level up, so even at level 50 you can get your ass whooped by crocodile robots for example in three-four hits (depends on the difficulty).

User Info: xfyrenx

xfyrenx
4 weeks ago#3
GNS1991 posted...
your character does not become stronger with each level up

Yup, only thing getting stronger are your weapons, which is why it's vital to check for upgrades when you get to a new place.
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier

iSystem
4 weeks ago#4
GNS1991 posted...
That's because, minus few skills, your character does not become stronger with each level up, so even at level 50 you can get your ass whooped by crocodile robots for example in three-four hits (depends on the difficulty).

Really? So aloy doesn't get a hp increase and other increases when she levels up? This is pretty awesome, more games need to do this. In most open world rpgs, you become OP way too easily, which in turn makes the combat too easy. This game does it right, the combat against enemies actually feels like a challenge

User Info: GNS1991

GNS1991
4 weeks ago#5
iSystem posted...
GNS1991 posted...

Really? So aloy doesn't get a hp increase and other increases when she levels up? This is pretty awesome, more games need to do this. In most open world rpgs, you become OP way too easily, which in turn makes the combat too easy. This game does it right, the combat against enemies actually feels like a challenge

Well, she does get a HP increase, but it's quite minimal. I'm level 47 in the main game and have only 550 HP I think, while in most games I would have over two thousand HP. You can acquire certain skills to help you fight, no doubt (like the one where you can stealthily take down small-medium sized robots in one hit), but all in all, the game changers are your equipment. If you play the game with starting gear (it can be done, I've done it on my first play through), it will be very difficult, but doable. If you get better gear (purple for example) (on higher levels suited for different situation) and mods, it will be whole lot easier game (still, you could die regardless).

iSystem
4 weeks ago#6
GNS1991 posted...
iSystem posted...
GNS1991 posted...

Well, she does get a HP increase, but it's quite minimal. I'm level 47 in the main game and have only 550 HP I think, while in most games I would have over two thousand HP. You can acquire certain skills to help you fight, no doubt (like the one where you can stealthily take down small-medium sized robots in one hit), but all in all, the game changers are your equipment. If you play the game with starting gear (it can be done, I've done it on my first play through), it will be very difficult, but doable. If you get better gear (purple for example) (on higher levels suited for different situation) and mods, it will be whole lot easier game (still, you could die regardless).

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. So many other games have you become op way too quickly, even in the witcher 3, I become op so quickly that I had to set the settings to make the enemies scale with my character, because playing without enemy scaling I was killing everything in 1 shot.
In this game, the enemies feel so solid, they are an actual threat. I'm very impressed, fighting these enemies gives you a clear sense of danger and winning gives you a nice sense of accomplishment. More games need to try to replicate this.

User Info: CJT999

CJT999
4 weeks ago#7
Yup, you have to stay on your toes and well-equipped. That's one of the reasons I didn't like using mounts to ride around a lot--you can bumble right into the middle of a Ravager party. I prefer getting the drop on the enemies.

iSystem
4 weeks ago#8
CJT999 posted...
Yup, you have to stay on your toes and well-equipped. That's one of the reasons I didn't like using mounts to ride around a lot--you can bumble right into the middle of a Ravager party. I prefer getting the drop on the enemies.

Yeah you gotta be really careful with that. You can easily ride your mount right into the middle of a pack of big machines.
Also, last night while playing, I got to witness something that makes this game special. I was doing the Nora raiding party mission, where you gotta take out 3 camps for war chief sona. And it was my first time riding into those parts. It was nighttime and the scenery was breathtaking. Huge machines and smaller machines living together side by side, as I rode into that area full of lush greenery everything just felt so alive, like a real ecosystem. And at the same time, in the back of your mind, you have to be on your heels because those big fire breathing blowbacks can easily crush you if you decide to get too close. Such a beautiful game.

User Info: BarneyBosco

BarneyBosco
4 weeks ago#9
You can become extremely OP at the very start of the game making a chunk of the enemies distractions at best. And this can be done with the starting gear with no mods. Its only later in the game where some of the enemies become tough as you may have to fight multiples at once.
http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ana-Ivanovic-5.jpg
PSN J_Frost77 search my PSN to join the Divinity Original Sin Community

User Info: justdontask

justdontask
4 weeks ago#10
this is one of those games where i would see something big patrolling and just decide to shoot it with an arrow for no reason. i didnt need xp. i didnt need anything he had on him. i just wanted to kill him because its fun.

other games id pick and choose my fights carefully. maybe i didnt have the resources to spend on that monster, or i just didnt need anything from him. it doesnt matter in HZD. im gonna kill it because its exciting.
somebody shoot me.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. This game has enemies done right
  • Post New Message