• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. How should I go about playing the game?

User Info: Calidore266

Calidore266
2 months ago#11
Keep in mind that pretty much every weapon comes with a tutorial in the form of a sidequest, so you get both practice and XP. Buy everything, try them out, take all the XP and then keep using what works for you. Opposite of CJT999, I never cared for the slings and very rarely used them, but the War Bow became standard equipment for me.

Definitely get the Carver skill, as it does help quite a bit with rare drops. The Tinker skill lets you swap mods in and out freely and is also a must. If you do find yourself using bows mostly, the Double- and Triple-Shot skills are great. Especially nice is that once you have two or three arrows loaded, it stays that way until you shoot them. Sometimes before a tough fight, I would pre-load three of several different arrows so I could fire them all off quickly right at the start.

You can own more than one of a weapon, so you can mod them specialized. For example, I had one Hunter Bow modded for straight damage and one purely for fire. I had also had one Sharpshot Bow for damage and one for tearing. My loadout in general was primary (damage) Hunter Bow in the left slot, primary Sharpshot Bow in the right, all-purpose War Bow in the upper, and the lower slot rotated whatever specialty might be needed (fire, tear, sling, trip/ropecaster, etc.).

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#12
Calidore266 posted...
Keep in mind that pretty much every weapon comes with a tutorial in the form of a sidequest, so you get both practice and XP. Buy everything, try them out, take all the XP and then keep using what works for you. Opposite of CJT999, I never cared for the slings and very rarely used them, but the War Bow became standard equipment for me.

Definitely get the Carver skill, as it does help quite a bit with rare drops. The Tinker skill lets you swap mods in and out freely and is also a must. If you do find yourself using bows mostly, the Double- and Triple-Shot skills are great. Especially nice is that once you have two or three arrows loaded, it stays that way until you shoot them. Sometimes before a tough fight, I would pre-load three of several different arrows so I could fire them all off quickly right at the start.

You can own more than one of a weapon, so you can mod them specialized. For example, I had one Hunter Bow modded for straight damage and one purely for fire. I had also had one Sharpshot Bow for damage and one for tearing. My loadout in general was primary (damage) Hunter Bow in the left slot, primary Sharpshot Bow in the right, all-purpose War Bow in the upper, and the lower slot rotated whatever specialty might be needed (fire, tear, sling, trip/ropecaster, etc.).

I know you can do that using different bows and I tend to use the spear the most but you can't upgrade that till you get to the DLC area....

I don't have money to afford all of these things to get your setup properly. I know of a way tofarm shard fairly quickly but It might not be worth it. I would be manipulating the system so to speak. I would buy 10 of those gambler boxes that give you shards at a time and see what I get, I would save before doing this and if I don't make a profit I would reload my save and repeat the process. If I made a profit I would save and continue on untill I have a nice amount.

I have done this with other games and it has worked quite well but I do not know if this worth doing or not in this one as it seems like 100 shards is the max you can get a box? While that is not common to see at all and running back and forth between save point to merchant will get tedious and they are most likely better ways out there to get money.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: xfyrenx

xfyrenx
2 months ago#13
If you want to get more shards without levelling up, use any weapon that'll let you remove parts from machines easily (tearblast arrows, for example), then sell those parts. If you don't care about your level going up, just go kill grazers and other machines, and sell all the loot.

The gambler box way is not profitable enough. I noticed I rarely lost money from it, but also very rarely made a good enough profit. Selling a few blaze canisters will give you more than the boxes could.
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier

User Info: Calidore266

Calidore266
2 months ago#14
Agreed with xfyrenx, no need to farm the gambler boxes. The game is so densely populated with animals and robots to shoot and scavenge parts from (plus supply crates in pretty much every populated location and sometimes elsewhere) that money never has to be an issue. The merchants will buy pretty much everything except ridgewood.

User Info: othatguy

othatguy
1 month ago#15
The Tripcaster is indispensable on higher difficulties, as are all the traps. The Ropecaster is really important for a few things along the way. I never used the Rattler, barely touched the blast sling.
#1:Sharpshot Bow
#2: Tripcaster
#3:Sling (elemental)
#4: Hunter Bow
#5:War Bow

Silent Hunter was my armor for most situations on lesser difficulties but elemental protection is very handy. The potions plus elemental armor make certain things a lot easier.
I am nearly done with NG+UH,and I used those 5 weapons almost exclusively, with the ropecaster used in something like three or four spots
It's the internet. No one ever gets the last word.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. How should I go about playing the game?
  • Post New Message