You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Just beat the game and DLC, but I still feel like I don't understand the weapons

User Info: I_Heart_Eevee

I_Heart_Eevee
1 month ago#1
Like topic says. For most of the game, u stuck with a strategy that seemed to do too well. Freeze enemies with the sling (later switched to war bow) and then pump them full of lead with the rattler. This worked even on thunderjaws.

But then I got to the DLC and the 3 new enemies there resisted my strategy. They had a lot of health and were very dangerous in close encounters. I still used my old strategy, but fights felt more dangerous.

I tried the DLC bows, but they all feel weaker since they take longer to charge. The very last few enemies I went the stealth way, staying in tall grass charging up a triple nocked sniper shot for 500+ damage a go. This still was only a dent in their health, and I had to be very cautious to not have them pounce me.

With those last encounters, I felt like my old way of playing was the "wrong" way. I don't see anybody else ever praise the rattler. I never used most of the weapons like the casters, slings, or DLC weapons.

So mostly, I want to know how do you play? How long did it take you to take out a large machine, and what were your favorite weapons?

User Info: PirateKingflcl

PirateKingflcl
1 month ago#2
The Rattler's DPS against Frozen targets is insane because of the way that the Freeze effect nullifies armor plating. It's definitely the fastest way to do tons of burst damage to big machines.

For the Frozen Wilds machines, you can limit a ton of their mobility by hitting them with even one Rope-Tie from the Ropecaster. Machines aren't allowed to move more than a set distance away from any Rope-Tie that is anchoring them, so you can create a lot of safe space just by using that weapon. Also, they all have special animations for shaking off Rope-Ties, but even that can be used as another opening to pelt them with big damage hits.

For the Frostclaws, if you can explode their chest sac you can disable their Freeze-cleanse ability, and if you can explode all three sacs on their chest and shoulders, they will enter an indefinite Freezing state, at which point your Rattler skills will obliterate them.

For Scorchers and Fireclaws, you want to aim for the Power Cell explosions around their butts. Scorchers have a non-standard Power Cell that you have to explode with regular damage, but doing so will still cause a Shock-explosion and stun them for a long time - usually long enough to remove their Mine Launcher (which can also be used against them like Ravager Cannons if you didn't know), which is where a lot of the danger comes from fighting them at range.

Fireclaws have a total of six Power Cell elemental canisters on their body, with two of them are hidden behind armor plating on their backs. Use your War Bow to detonate these canisters intermittently, waiting until the Shock effect is almost worn off before detonating the next one. By using this strategy, you can chain stun Fireclaws for an absurd amount of time, giving you ample opportunities to pelt away at their other weak spots. Also, like Frostclaws you can put them into an indefinite Burning state by destroying all three of their chest and shoulder sacs, which will eventually cause them to die if you don't override it with a new status ailment.

I don't think you can actually play HZD the "wrong" way. A lot of people just overlook the Rattler because they don't understand its utility when combined with the Freeze and Shock status effects. I think if you start to incorporate just a little bit more defensive play with Ropecasters, you'll be able to defeat all the Frozen Wilds enemies handily using your normal Freeze+Rattler playstyle.
Hard work and guts solve everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with hard work and guts, then you aren't using enough of them.

User Info: Lastjustice

Lastjustice
1 month ago#3
Yeah the new Bear enemies for the DLC take alot of damage, move reasonably fast compared to other heavies, are very aggressive, and have a wide variety of close/ranged attacks. This makes them far tougher than previous enemies.Their amped up counterparts (demonic) take even more abuse. They make Thunderjaws seem tame by comparison. Scorchers aren't too bad since like a couple other enemies you can steal their guns off them, and blast them with them. I always take off their heavy weapons for that purpose first. Granted it doesn't always spawn into a useable weapon, but they don't have it either. Scorchers don't take godly amounts of damage to put down either making them not much worse than Ravagers.

I personally just try use any thing to distract the bears while I take them down, as I will override any machine handy. On one mission where you need kill 5 Fireclaws, the final 2 are a demonic and regular one. I used override on the regular one and in the words of the 2014 Godzilla... I "let them fight!" Amusingly the regular one won the death battle, so I still had to kill it afterwards, but was much easier than running around between two of them. I used tramplers to distract the others, so they soften them up a bit.

I have honestly never used the ropecaster despite owning one.(has more do with the fact you only can equip 4 weapons at a time, so I roll with my current outload of weapons.) I kill stuff just fine, but if you need something to level the playing field so you can take them down easier, I hear good things about them. I'd give them a shot if I was struggling more. I find Iceclaws easier since trip caster does fire damage, which they are weak to. Fireclaws are strong against fire, so unless you got a ton of blaze, you want to use something else. I will load my bow with arrows for the triple shot between attacks, and pelt it with 3 precision arrows when I get an opening using concentration making takign the shot at their weak points easier.

I don't have any issue with dodging alot since I was playing Darksiders 3 before this game, which was a much harder game. (especially before they patched it, which I beat it before then.) Having the shield armor I can easily avoid things for a few seconds till it's recharges. About the only time I really got the crap beat out of me since I got that thing was the two corrupted groundbreakers in the one corrupted zone when I was clearing the last ones out. Otherwise my deaths generally are a result off falling or getting knocked off something. (A fireclaw knocked me off the side in the Thunderdrum.)
"Laws only exist when there's someone there to uphold them."
PSN:Lastjustice

User Info: I_Heart_Eevee

I_Heart_Eevee
1 month ago#4
Good to hear that my rattler strategy wasn't as unoptimized as I was led to believe it was. I'll have to add a ropecaster in for a single rope then. I never just used a single rope on any enemy, so it's nice to hear that it does something before you fully achieve the "tied down" effect.

I was never a fan of using enemy weapons. They're too cumbersome and not to easy to pick up in the middle of a fight. I also never used the nanoweave armor. I didn't like the lack of mod slots. I love the stealth armor and running up to enemies haphazardly and still being able to stealth kill them before they notice me. Or use the chieftain armor for flavor.

User Info: PirateKingflcl

PirateKingflcl
1 month ago#5
The single Rope-tie is totally one of the most underrated and overlooked tools in the game. Normally you can't inflict more than one status effect on a machine including the full Tie-down, so if you ever fully roped a Frozen machine it would cancel the Freeze effect; but if you only partially restrain them, the machines can be Frozen/Shocked/Burning and it won't have any effect on the duration of the Tie-down. Comboing it with the Freeze and Rattler strategy is a good recipe for success.
Hard work and guts solve everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with hard work and guts, then you aren't using enough of them.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Just beat the game and DLC, but I still feel like I don't understand the weapons