You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I'm about 20 hours into the game, still don't grasp combat

User Info: JelDeRebel

JelDeRebel
1 month ago#11
I use wire trap with 3 x 44% blast mods. soo explosive wires do +500 damage each

when you're about to go after a horde, place a few in front of you spaced out. if they charge at you they instantly die or get immobilized. It's a good defense against most land machines
3DS code: 1676-3926-5931
Name: Jelle

User Info: Lastjustice

Lastjustice
1 month ago#12
- Use the notebook. Study whatever machines you are facing. You can see what happens when you knock out any given special part on them. Some can overload and explode if hit it the right place with an elemental weapon. (Such as blaze canisters) Some even have heavy weapons mounted on them, such as Ravagers, Deathbringers, and Thunderjaws. I knock them off right away, and blast them to death with their own canons.(Sometimes it doesn't spawn into a weapon, but still removes theirs tools either way.) Stormbirds you need shoot their wings so they crash to the ground and have a hard time staying afloat to fight back. Once I started preying on their weaknesses combat became much easier.

- Pick them apart. You don't need fight them head on or all at once. If you can override a stray and turn it against them all the better when dealing with machines. (Which if you have the unlimited override time, it is a better option. I disliked having them potentially turn back at a bad time.) Your stealth options help greatly for dealing with larger numbers. When dealing with humans, they tend have plenty of blaze laying around to use against them. Some even have it on their backs for their weapons. Ignite it on them and watch as they run and explode sometimes toward their buddies. If you see a guy with a heavy gun, always kill them first if you can. They are generally the most dangerous and you can use their toys against the rest. Use trip wires, proximity bombs and traps to thin the herd, as enemies rarely avoid them.

- Use your focus. It sees thru walls, and lets you know whats around you. This comes down to studying your targets. See where they are, and you can even see their patrol routes.

- Use your mount. Robots are completely expendables. Treat them as such. Especially after you unlock the perk that let's you summon a mount without needing override one. Even before that I'd have no issue calling my mount to me as a distraction or a weapon. While it won't aim to fight enemies, it will defend itself and fight back if attacked. Their kicks hurt. You'd be surprised how many bandits a charger will take out if you just park in the middle of their camp. Broadheads and Chargers also are great for running down things in your way. Whether it be wildllife or bandits, you can trample them to death by running them over. Anything the same size as your mount or smaller can be bowled over, and potentially stunned by you crashing into it.

- Expand your storage. You need space to carry things in order be prepared. This requires you hunt a variety of wildlife, including fish. (use your focus to tag them, then shoot them in the water.) Herbalist and the medical skills you should take early. With each type of weapon there's a separate storage.

- Improve your gear. Mods and better weapons can make a huge difference to your performance.

Once you figure out your preferred tactics, you can take perks and equip weapons geared to that approach.
"Laws only exist when there's someone there to uphold them."
PSN:Lastjustice
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Redmacabre

Redmacabre
1 month ago#13
One thing to try and remember is that Aloy is a hunter, not a warrior. You'll rarely beat anything by simply attacking them head on. You have to use your wits, skills and traps to level the field.

User Info: CJT999

CJT999
1 month ago#14
The Ropecaster advice is great, as is the Tripcaster advice (there's a reason one of your first missions is specifically designed for you to get a Tripcaster before you can progress in the game--they want you to use it). You can combine the two by roping down a machine and then setting up a blast wire across the roped machine to deliver a cheap 500 or so points of damage if you have the right mods.
Also, try to do a lot of side missions and errands to build XP and level up before doing more Story missions. Doing this lets you build up your health. With enough health, and the right armor and armor mods accumulated over time (e.g., melee resistance vs. the brawlers and ranged against the projectile guys, etc.) you can survive a lot of encounters just by being able to soak up damage and heal using your medicinal herbs and potions.
Also, fire is very effective vs. a lot of machines (especially the Corrupted ones you run into later), so slap a couple fire mods on your Hunter's Bow (I like to include a handling mod so I can fire them rapidly). Later on, you'll get a sling that can shoot fire bombs and a souped-up tripcaster that sets enemies on fire, adding to the fire damage you can dish out.
Also--dodge roll and sprint like a mofo! You can often dodge out of the way of an attack and hit the machine while it's in its "recovery" animation after it misses you.
Sometimes it can be tough to fight multiple human enemies, since the arrows hit you from all directions. In addition to the stealth tactics people have mentioned, it's also useful to use a Freeze bomb from your sling on a group of humans. Once you get them in the "frozen" condition (the cold symbol over their heads will have a white circle around it that slowly counts down) they're more susceptible to any further damage, so you can start rapid firing your Hunter's bow--aiming for the heads if possible--and they'll die much faster than if they weren't frozen. This is a good tactic because although the Sharpshot bow packs a punch, it can take a few extra beats to draw it all the way back, so it can be tough to use out of stealth in a fast arrow-fight.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#15
Great_Khan posted...
Yeah they can be handy, and are nice XP boosts too. I only learned to rope tie glinthawks after one of the hunting grounds kinda enforced it for instance.

Three fire arrows from a Shadow bow and they catch on fire and die. If you use the skill where you can notch extra arrows (incredibly useful skill) then you can light them on fire in one shot. Depending on their level, you just light one on fire, move to the next, then rinse and repeat until the first one goes out, then light him up again and he's dead. Not to mention fire causes them to drop to the ground where you can grab a critical if you're quick enough or just smack them around a few times so save on arrows.

Lastjustice posted...
Use your mount. Robots are completely expendables. Treat them as such. Especially after you unlock the perk that let's you summon a mount without needing override one. Even before that I'd have no issue calling my mount to me as a distraction or a weapon. While it won't aim to fight enemies, it will defend itself and fight back if attacked. Their kicks hurt. You'd be surprised how many bandits a charger will take out if you just park in the middle of their camp. Broadheads and Chargers also are great for running down things in your way. Whether it be wildllife or bandits, you can trample them to death by running them over. Anything the same size as your mount or smaller can be bowled over, and potentially stunned by you crashing into it.

I wouldn't bother with mounts. I think the only time I ever used mounts was in the DLC are and just to provide some cannon fodder for the enemies to go after instead of me - usually just against Scorchers. Any other time, mounts just get in your way during combat and it's far faster to just keep running to your destination than taking time to sneak around and override one. Not to mention they are incredibly touchy about which objects they will go over. If you play like a hunter and plan your route, mounts are rarely useful. If you like to take the loud approach with explosions and melee, then mounts will definitely help you out (until you're facing multiple heavy bandits - then their heavy weapons will shred mounts in seconds).

Also, there's the fact that if you use explosions and you accidentally damage your mount too much, he'll turn on you and join the enemies. I can't count the number of times (usually against enemies with AoE attacks like Bellowbacks or Stormbirds) I ended up fighting my own Charger halfway through the fight simply because he took too much splash damage.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: PirateKingflcl

PirateKingflcl
1 month ago#16
STG Deathbot posted...
I wouldn't bother with mounts. I think the only time I ever used mounts was in the DLC are and just to provide some cannon fodder for the enemies to go after instead of me - usually just against Scorchers. Any other time, mounts just get in your way during combat and it's far faster to just keep running to your destination than taking time to sneak around and override one. Not to mention they are incredibly touchy about which objects they will go over. If you play like a hunter and plan your route, mounts are rarely useful. If you like to take the loud approach with explosions and melee, then mounts will definitely help you out (until you're facing multiple heavy bandits - then their heavy weapons will shred mounts in seconds).

Also, there's the fact that if you use explosions and you accidentally damage your mount too much, he'll turn on you and join the enemies. I can't count the number of times (usually against enemies with AoE attacks like Bellowbacks or Stormbirds) I ended up fighting my own Charger halfway through the fight simply because he took too much splash damage.

Strong disagree. Mounts are incredible for combat, they offer tons of options, speed, and support. The skill Hunter Reflexes always activates when you aim from a Mount, and you can chain Dismount Strikes to do huge amounts of burst damage with no resource costs.

If you lose control of your mount in the middle of a battle, you can chain it down with one Medium-rope-tie or better from the Ropecaster. This even lets you override if there's a lull in battle or just after the fight if things are a bit hectic.

Mounts can be a very effective and efficient way to play the game, just like tons of other viable ways to play.
Hard work and guts solve everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with hard work and guts, then you aren't using enough of them.

User Info: Lastjustice

Lastjustice
1 month ago#17
STG Deathbot posted...
I wouldn't bother with mounts. I think the only time I ever used mounts was in the DLC are and just to provide some cannon fodder for the enemies to go after instead of me - usually just against Scorchers. Any other time, mounts just get in your way during combat and it's far faster to just keep running to your destination than taking time to sneak around and override one.

There's absolutely no reason to not use them. Just for travel you get places way faster. If you take the perk pick up stuff you don't have get off it to grab things. (the Traveler DLC perk for a single point.) If you take the perk to summon one at will in the Forager perks- Call Mount +:Calls a new overridden mount if no mount is available. You can throw they in front of stuff without any regard. It's not as if you don't get enough skill points to take everything. (Which you need to do get a platinum in the game anyways.) Unless you're doing some sort of minimal lvl run and intentionally handicapping yourself, there's tons of exp and skill points through out the game.

You don't need waste anytime overriding one. There's icon to call your mount to you.Just tap down, and she calls a new charger. It dies...oh no...just calls another one. If you can't spare two secs to do that well I don't know what to say. I jump off a short distance before I arrive at my target to scout what I am up against. It's seemlessly part of the game and getting around.

Even if you aren't throwing your mounts into the meat grinder, it doesn't take that much effort just get off the thing right before you get into a fight. If I knew I had a bit of traveling ahead of me I'd definitely take the brief moment to overide one as it's not hard to do, and there's plenty of sites across the map.I'd much rather be able to avoid fighting everything I run past on a mount than constantly need stealth or dodge attackers just get where I want to go. Heck I ram stuff in my way so it's stunned and can't chase me. Sure once you get the map filled in and been places you can fast travel more often than not...but you gotta get everywhere atleast once. Why would you do it on foot? Worried your Aloy isn't getting her steps in for the day or something heh?
"Laws only exist when there's someone there to uphold them."
PSN:Lastjustice
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I'm about 20 hours into the game, still don't grasp combat