You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I'm about 20 hours into the game, still don't grasp combat

User Info: Mike Xtreme

Mike Xtreme
1 month ago#1
I've purchased a few purple weapons, read about what mods to use, read about what skills to go after, but I still feel like I'm missing something when it comes to combat. If I stay hidden or out of reach of the bigger robots I can hold my own but as soon as I get spotted everything just goes wrong. I really want to enjoy the game but the combat is just so bad I'm close to giving up. Any hints that will help me out?
I don't like stuff that sucks

User Info: Tris10

Tris10
1 month ago#2
To be honest depending on your strategy weapons used this game can be pretty brutal. Even late game with decent weapons I wasnt rolling over everything in sight. I didn't even notice there was a heavy melee attack until 40 plus hours in.
Personally I found the difficulty and open ended nature of the combat to be a massive plus.
It drops deep as it does in my breath/
I never sleep, cus sleep is the cousin of death.....

User Info: PirateKingflcl

PirateKingflcl
1 month ago#3
HZD has one of the best combat systems of any game I've ever played. You have a huge number of options for every combat encounter, only limited by your supplies and imagination.

Not sure what tips to give exactly as it's very hard to know what you're actually struggling with, however I do have a nice long combat-focused video to share that has very little stealth involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eka2Ic3gb1M
Hard work and guts solve everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with hard work and guts, then you aren't using enough of them.

User Info: metallicaFTW

metallicaFTW
1 month ago#4
Same thing happened to me. I played for about 20 hours and I was missing something, not sure what but it just never clicked. I wanted to like it but the combat was hard to get. I could do really well sometimes and then others I would get demolished. Plus the story wasn’t enough to hold me so I quit. I’d like to go back and play it eventually. Maybe I’ll get good in a couple years haha.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#5
If you're getting swamped don't neglect rope ties. They last for ages and can keep enemy hordes in check.

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#6
You're a hunter - start acting like one. The Ropecaster can immobilize any machine and if you throw on a ton of Handling mods, you can fire it extremely fast and have any machine locked down and out of the fight for a long time. Learn to spot elemental canisters on machines and abuse their overpowered explosions when hit with an arrow of the same element (Blaze canisters need to be hit multiple times for some reason). Learn to tag enemies before going after your first kill and use rocks and your whistle to lure smaller machines to their death before taking on the bigger ones. Don't stay in one spot too long as enemies will eventually start searching the grass if too many bodies pile up.

Honestly, everything you need to know is explained in the game. If you're not grasping the concept, it's because you're not paying attention. It holds your hand pretty well when explaining mechanics (except for what Handling does...) so don't skip through dialogue or hints that show up.

Lastly, when you buy a new weapon, it comes with a tutorial quest. Doing these quests helps you familiarize yourself with what that weapon can do. Hunting ranges are also like tutorials so don't skip those either.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

User Info: metallicaFTW

metallicaFTW
1 month ago#7
I didn’t do the weapon tutorials or hunting ranges so maybe that’s why I never really got the fighting down.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#8
Yeah they can be handy, and are nice XP boosts too. I only learned to rope tie glinthawks after one of the hunting grounds kinda enforced it for instance.

User Info: Mike Xtreme

Mike Xtreme
1 month ago#9
Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't been using the ropecaster much and haven't done any of the tutorials so maybe that's my problem.
I don't like stuff that sucks
Mike Xtreme posted...
Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't been using the ropecaster much and haven't done any of the tutorials so maybe that's my problem.

As someone who initially had the same impression, you really are limited to your own imagination. I tend to stick to a same tactic, but in this game you really need to change it up and go out of your normal tactic comfort zone.
PSN: ThePixies
XBL: Predat0rPrime
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I'm about 20 hours into the game, still don't grasp combat