You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I cant remember the last time I've had such a love/hate relationship with a game

User Info: Smileytin

Smileytin
1 month ago#1
Let me just start out by saying this game really didnt start hooking me until I reached around level 20ish which by that point I had pretty much given up hope of it being more than forgettable. I was pleasantly surprised. I started to love the combat and wow the story really picks up and grabs you.

But for every great plot hook there's two s*** uninteresting side quests. For every interesting NPC there's a slew of boring ones. For every good fight there's a fight with seemingly endless waves of enemies. I kill 3 and a whole new group of 4 zero in on my position. For every tactical kill, there's someone killing me from some attack a half mile away off camera or one shotting me with two bars of health . And around all this is a protagonist that still just doesnt seem to respond with enough emotion or character to sell it. There are moments but in general her dialog is so cookie cutter and bland.

I'm ready to be finished with it. It's one of the most amazing games that I've become genuinely disappointed with because it has so much going for it.

User Info: WarDog2016

WarDog2016
1 month ago#2
I picked it up a month ago, have played maybe 40 hours, and I feel the same but with different aspects. I'm enjoying coming up with different kill strats, the combat, mod tinkering, and I'm getting excited to take on DLC and ng+ and greater difficulty levels.

However, this is probably the most time I've given a game with a camera that I detest, and I also think Aloy is painfully slow in the water. I fought a storm bird on Sunday and had my sights obscured on my bows by grass in the environment for about half the fight.

I also dont understand why the camera is angled slightly to one side sometimes. . I cant figure out how to manipulate it to my liking and I haven't felt like watching a yt video for it.

I dont think I've put up with camera shenanigans like this in any other game. I'd typically just move on.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Kira0987

Kira0987
1 month ago#3
I feel the exact same! I started this game a few months ago after grabbing it on sale and nothing grabbed me. Seemed like another generic open world game full of endless amounts of fluff. My attention was then grabbed by God of War (an amazing game).

About two weeks ago I finished God of War so decided to get Horizon another shot. I'm around level 25 now am considering just dropping it. I'm at the part where I'm going to investigate the woman that looks like my mother.

The best part of this game for my by far is the robot dinosaurs. I enjoy hunting them and breaking off their parts. The combat and controls also feel rock solid (except for the terrible hitboxes with arrows and enemies).

But there is just nothing interesting or innovative to me about the story. On top of that Aloy is such a lifeless character with zero personality. Her voice acting is so bad and flat. EVERYTHING she says is muttered under her breath in the same unemotional, over dramatic way. It makes sense since Ashly Burch isn't a voice actor. I can't believe they'd hire her for such a big system seller exclusive. She was funny in HAWP, but that show certainly wasn't great because of her acting.

Does something about this get better to change my mind? Because as fun as hunting robots is, it's going to wear off soon and the story and open-world fetch quests certainly aren't going to hold my attention. Especially since the open world is largely lifeless and just open landscape. The "dungeons" are few and far between and even then all look the same.

So far this game feels much more average than all the hype has lead me to believe.

User Info: cougre

cougre
1 month ago#4
Hunting the robots is ok and they only get bigger and tougher. They flying ones are a bit of a pain as well as the corrupted ones.

My favorite part is clearing out the bandit camps and fighting the eclipse. Going for the headshots never gets old.

Uncovering the backstory is interesting but that doesn't really take off until near the end.

I agree that Ashly's voice acting isn't great, but I've tolerated worse.

All in all I'm glad I picked it up on sale... and not a full price.
To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain, 1868

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#5
Yeah I had a similar thing, the ending last couple of hours was all good stuff so it ended on a high for me, but for a huge chunk of the game I was having something drag it down right after it did anything great.

It's got a really s***ty start which is it's biggest issue imo, super long kid tutorial, followed by a first region with no super cool robots, and a pouch crafting mechanic when has you shooting rabbits for thirty hours, so once the "holy s*** that's amazing" stuff starts happening you're in a low mood. So every step it takes forward being undercut by something lesser brings the mood back down to that early "eh it's alright" stage.

The weird facial animations stick out to me more than the voice acting honestly.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DarkSymbiote

DarkSymbiote
1 month ago#6
I feel the game decline in quality as soon as you enter the desert area. The environmental aesthetics take a dip in quality and you being to feel repetition of the good gameplay.

Also, fighting thugs out of stealth (or even through stealth) is a pain. They move strangely and shooting them with a arrow is obnoxious. The game was designed around fighting machines.

User Info: KronoCloud

KronoCloud
1 month ago#7
I’m just a few hours into the game and I’m really digging it. I think Aloy is a perfectly endearing protagonist.

The only problem I have so far is the title of the game. “Horizon Zero Dawn” is such an ambiguous and generic name. Maybe there will be more context for it later on.
Musical output: soundcloud.com/jayphilly
dotwav.blogspot.com
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#8
The name does get meaning, but it's still a really s***ty title.

User Info: DarkSymbiote

DarkSymbiote
1 month ago#9
I'm really irritated by these action encounters. The game is not made for this.

User Info: KronoCloud

KronoCloud
1 month ago#10
DarkSymbiote posted...
I'm really irritated by these action encounters. The game is not made for this.

Action encounters?
Musical output: soundcloud.com/jayphilly
dotwav.blogspot.com
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I cant remember the last time I've had such a love/hate relationship with a game