• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I am having a hard time taking this story serious, sadly. Help me out?

User Info: xx_SaintBoot_xx

xx_SaintBoot_xx
1 month ago#1
Why are the Machines so animal like in their design and additudes? Where are the humanoid like Machines? The entire time I am playing this game, I keep thinking these enemies were ripped from some other game, and feel out of place here.

When I saw those archers firing arrows like a bunch of cavemen at the onrushing machines I actually cringed a little. Everytime I take a machine down with an arrow or spear, it just feels wrong to me somehow.

which brings me to another problem: If these machines can be downed by simple arrows and spears, how was humanity at risk from these things????

One other issue I have is when/why did people decide to adopt tribal like way of life? The contrast between tribal superstition and high tech is distracting me more than it should.

Speaking of tribal, I am having a hard time taking it seriously because it just looks like a bunch of people cosplaying (badly) of various native american-like outfits and warpaint. This is usually the kind of thing I see people REEEEing about at places like resetera. You know, "cultural appropriation."

Also, their appearance defies their manner of speaking. they dress like tribesman, but speak as if they are all very well spoken, like these people would be in any other sci fi setting, but then sometimes they speak in caveman with things like "follow" instead of "follow me"

I have no problem with the smaller character stories, but I swear if this game ends with some BS "it was all a dream, or everyone is a clone, or a machine, or something like that, I might actually be kinda pissed.
Mutton, Fresh Mutton! FF Mystic Quest: the only game where TREES put you in Full Nelsons. Meow meow, Choco Chow.
(message deleted)

User Info: PirateKingflcl

PirateKingflcl
1 month ago#3
Idk what you want people to help you with. It sounds like you've barely gotten anywhere in the main story, as most of your 'issues' are addressed through the natural course of the game.
Hard work and guts solve everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with hard work and guts, then you aren't using enough of them.

User Info: Berating

Berating
1 month ago#4
xx_SaintBoot_xx posted...
Why are the Machines so animal like in their design and additudes? Where are the humanoid like Machines? The entire time I am playing this game, I keep thinking these enemies were ripped from some other game, and feel out of place here.

first of all, that was the entire hook of HZD in the first place. it's a cavemen like society, but there's machine animals you have to hunt. how can you not think this is badass? matter of fact, you're the first person i've seen that had this particular complaint

but don't worry! keep playing, by the time you're near the end, the game will have explained to you why these machines exist

When I saw those archers firing arrows like a bunch of cavemen at the onrushing machines I actually cringed a little. Everytime I take a machine down with an arrow or spear, it just feels wrong to me somehow.

the machines do have weakpoints, stuff like joints and sensors and whatnot. this is one of the reasons why Aloy has such an advantage in the game, she has a device called a Focus which allows her to see the weak points. and it's not like anyone can just go out there and take out even a basic machine like a Strider, only warriors from every tribe go out and fight machines

which brings me to another problem: If these machines can be downed by simple arrows and spears, how was humanity at risk from these things????

explained later in the game

One other issue I have is when/why did people decide to adopt tribal like way of life? The contrast between tribal superstition and high tech is distracting me more than it should.

also explained later in the game

Speaking of tribal, I am having a hard time taking it seriously because it just looks like a bunch of people cosplaying (badly) of various native american-like outfits and warpaint. This is usually the kind of thing I see people REEEEing about at places like resetera. You know, "cultural appropriation."

no comment

Also, their appearance defies their manner of speaking. they dress like tribesman, but speak as if they are all very well spoken, like these people would be in any other sci fi setting, but then sometimes they speak in caveman with things like "follow" instead of "follow me"

also kinda explained later in the game

I have no problem with the smaller character stories, but I swear if this game ends with some BS "it was all a dream, or everyone is a clone, or a machine, or something like that, I might actually be kinda pissed.

this game has imo one of the more original and interesting stories in a videogame, like ever and the explanation you get will be well worth whatever kind of trouble you think you have with the story so far. i don't know why you're frustrated with these aspects of the game, it doesn't sound like you're very far into it at all

don't wanna accuse you of trolling, but you kinda sound like me when i get frustrated with a game, and then i start nitpicking every little thing. it's weird to me however that you got frustarted with HZD at the start, cause it's the best looking game on the PS4, and once you get into it (which shouldn't take long AT ALL), the combat and story will probably keep you hooked

so take a step back, come back later, and play this game without any doubts that it'll answer your questions at the end
"...and until you've seen a blind kid trying to hide from dragons in an open field, you haven't seen anything..."

User Info: thoul

thoul
1 month ago#5
This is going to involve a lot of spoilers... like has been said, most of this is addressed as the game goes on. But here we go...

The Machines being animal like: Their designer simply liked basing them on animals. They are meant to replace or homage extinct (by in-game history) animals. There are no humanoid machines at all.

Regarding arrows vs machines: The arrows are made from parts of the machines. That supposedly allows them to penetrate the machines' armor. Admittedly that doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you actually think about it, but that's the reason the game gives us.

How humanity was at risk: The animal-like machines were not the machines that wiped out humanity. Those machines were an army of military-grade hardware designed for overwhelming combat and capable of eating organic material. They were able to wipe out the environment by eating animals, plants, and people. The animal machines are meant to repair the environment - they are relatively peaceful unless attacked. With a few exceptions, of course.

Tribal life (very late game spoiler): All knowledge of the old world, beyond a kindergarten level of education, was lost to humanity. They had to start fresh and redevelop everything. They look like a Native American culture because they basically developed as one. Later in the game their are other cultures that developed differently and as such have different looks and knowledge levels. As for being well spoken, that is mainly just for our benefit as the audience.

I think it's safe to say without a spoiler tag that nothing like that happens. People are people and no dreams or similar cop-outs are involved. Although: Aloy is a clone!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Berating

Berating
1 month ago#6
TC: i implore you, do NOT read any of the things in post #5. not that's he's wrong or anything, he properly marked the spoilers, it's that you will derive yourself of any enjoyment you will get from finding all these things out on your own, just by playing the game.
"...and until you've seen a blind kid trying to hide from dragons in an open field, you haven't seen anything..."

User Info: thoul

thoul
1 month ago#7
^ That's true. You will enjoy the game more if you play it and let it answer all those questions for you, rather than read my spoilers.
(edited 1 month ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#9
Literally all of this is covered. Play the game.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. I am having a hard time taking this story serious, sadly. Help me out?
  • Topic Closed