• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Ultra hard on First Play

User Info: Berating

Berating
1 month ago#11
khangkhanh posted...
Why not. I am completely new to the game and is playing on ultra hard without using any cheap reduce difficulty.

I only put 1 point in silent strike and the rest to scavenger and traveler. I get drop kinda frequently though. I also farm striders for some early purple mods then sells them for shard. It is not that hard though. When I got enough shard for Sharp Bow (god damn 525 shards), I used it to one shot Watcher very easily. It is my main damage now. You need to make use of silent strike to save your arrows and one shot strider,gazer or lower machines but at I am now (just completed the first bandit camp), I have like unlimited hunter arrows and fire arrows (hunter arrow's damage suck but fire very good) thanks to the scavenger and traveler point. I even killed the first Sawtooth in my 2nd try with sharp bow and 4 wire traps.

I don't know the rest how of the game is but it seem very possible so far. Hunter bow normal arrows is very bad at damage, just R1 or R2 instead. Otherwise using fire arrows, you will get tons of blaze when you farm striders and gazers.

the bolded part, that's why i personally wouldn't do it. the way i view it is, i'm playing a coming of age story where you are a huntress seeking to unravel the mysteries of the world, and herself, and devoting any unnecessary time to farm for parts deducts entirely from that experience IMO. even on very hard i never had to farm for anything, except maybe healing herbs, and that wasn't really farming

so i'm not necessarily role-playing, but HZD has just such a good story and world in where i wouldn't wanna find myself doing stuff that can be repetitive just because i play on the hardest difficulty setting. mind you, i'm saying this purely for a first playthrough

i always thought of this game as more of an experience than a videogame, though obviously the videogame parts (combat, resource gathering/management, etc) is superb

then the parts in italics: you're still super early in the game. taking on a Sawtooth is one thing, taking on TWO Thunderjaws at the same time is something else entirely. don't even get me started on the DLC machines

not saying it isn't possible or that you can't do it, just don't do it on your first run, for the sake of the narrative and experience
"...and until you've seen a blind kid trying to hide from dragons in an open field, you haven't seen anything..."

User Info: Strategia555

Strategia555
1 month ago#12
Berating posted...
khangkhanh posted...

don't even get me started on the DLC machines

Oh man, don't remind me. I'd like to have a word with the person that thought of the Fireclaw.
At least I can shoot of something off the Thunderjaw and use it , but that damn Fireclaw.
Space for Rent

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
1 month ago#13
Yes, the DLC machines certainly teaches one a little bit of humility. They're not too bad, though I did cop out and play on normal difficulty for the DLC. I think there's one area with three fireclaws, could be wrong, I finished playing a long long time ago. I know there's a reward for beating 6 fireclaws.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: olober_saiko

olober_saiko
1 month ago#14
After a few days of playing on “Very hard” I thought to myself well this is enjoyable and not that hard, but bit tedious with collecting herbs. So I thought I would lower the difficulty and see how it is..to my surprise it’s already on normal...ffs I didn’t know deleting User Profile would default the settings. Only deleted it because the audio dialogue was messed up. Sigh oh well I am still enjoying a lot of this game regardless of the difficulty level.

User Info: psvitantifail

psvitantifail
1 month ago#15
I played the game on hard that felt about right ... Any harder is insane for a beginner are those corruptors.... I hope you brought a bunch of lubricant for both you and Aloy....
America will never fall to liberals or communist invasion!
Filipino Rebellion 1 month ago#16
How does it compared to Witcher 3 in terms of difficulty on normal settings? I enjoyed Witcher 3, and I didn’t find it difficulty once specced to the right build, and obtained gear. The same goes with Skyrim. I actually bumped it up to the highest difficulty when I was geared enough for my build.

I’m interested in buying this game? Is it difficult? I just wanna enjoy the game, main story, side story and learn my build and gear, but I don’t wanna get my butt whooped like in monster hunter world, and pull my hair out and rage quit
Tim Tebow is the greatest Filipino NFL player that ever played

User Info: GasmanOAV

GasmanOAV
1 month ago#17
Filipino Rebellion posted...
How does it compared to Witcher 3 in terms of difficulty on normal settings? I enjoyed Witcher 3, and I didn’t find it difficulty once specced to the right build, and obtained gear. The same goes with Skyrim. I actually bumped it up to the highest difficulty when I was geared enough for my build.

I’m interested in buying this game? Is it difficult? I just wanna enjoy the game, main story, side story and learn my build and gear, but I don’t wanna get my butt whooped like in monster hunter world, and pull my hair out and rage quit

You should be fine on normal to start if you are used to similar games. You get overpowered on story mode after you get better weapons. You can adjust the difficulty as you go along. NG+ you can’t change the difficulty.
No inedible animals were injured or killed in the making of this post.

User Info: Berating

Berating
1 month ago#18
Filipino Rebellion posted...

not difficult at all since you can change the difficulty settings freely, except for when playing on ultra hard. this isn't really an rpg though, cause the skills you unlock stack, instead of having to pick and choose from different skill trees

the only real customization lies in your gear, which has mod slots. but even there you won't be making any real builds

which isn't detrimental to the game btw, cause the gameplay is rock solid and there is enough variety in the weapons
"...and until you've seen a blind kid trying to hide from dragons in an open field, you haven't seen anything..."
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Ultra hard on First Play
  • Topic Archived