• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. 8 hours in and this is basically Open World: The Game(brought to you by Ubisoft)

User Info: Tacanacy

Tacanacy
1 year ago#11
gizmohollow42 posted...
Tacanacy posted...
Lol, after eight hours you've already visited Meridian. Yeah, open world games aren't your type.

No. Just no. The Witcher 3 and MS5 have already demonstrated that you can do open world games without meaningless, inconsequential filler. (Granted, MGS5 is mission based, but my point still stands in the case of TW3) Seriously though, your statement is like saying, "Oh, you think each new installment of Call of Duty feels iterative instead of innovative? Guess shooters aren't for you."

Horizon Zero Dawn is not a revolutionary open world game. It's extremely formulaic, it's very safe, and it's baffling to me that people are praising it so heavily when it does barely anything new.

TC, you can skip almost all of the side content, there are only a few side quests I legitimately enjoyed. Try to just focus on the main story. DEFINITELY skip the bandit camps, the human enemies are probably the weakest aspect of this game.

Other than that, the hunting ground trials are pretty fun, the cauldrons are alright, and the hunters lodge quest line is good. Also, try to fight all of the robots in the monster encyclopedia, they're all fun to fight.
Meijimasha13 posted...
Oh look, another troll who either hasn't played the game, never left the starting area, or just sucks because the game isn't on PC and he's a pauper. Go troll somewhere else. This game is nothing like Far Cry.

This game has literally the exact same overarching structure of all the Ubisoft sandbox games.

Edit: another thing to look out for are the power cells necessary for a special armor set.

No, what exactly? I wasn't even referring to filler quests or formulas. Jeez, you should stop discussing open world sandbox games if you don't naturally understand what my statement was about.

User Info: kablamo

kablamo
1 year ago#12
how is MGS5 a GREAT open world game?
It's not that it's difficult to be successful, it's just real easy not to be.

User Info: gizmohollow42

gizmohollow42
1 year ago#13
ilikehamandhalo
You don't have to do something new to be great, stupid to bash a game because it follows a formula.

I'm not saying it's a BAD game, but I'm tired of seeing people treating this game as if it's perfect, groundbreaking goty material.

It really does feel like a generic, paint-by-numbers Ubisoft-esque sandbox game, but with better combat and a better story.

And it's not really the fact that it follows a formula that sucks, it's the fact that it follows a very poor formula. Instead of offering meaningful or interesting side content, it just pads out the game with fluff and filler, pointless collectables, copy-and-paste side objectives, predictable side quests that boil down to "go here, look at this, go here, kill that" without framing it in any sort of interesting way.

The main story has some really good writing, but the side content doesn't have that level of quality at all.

Like I said, there are games that have shown us how to do open world WELL, so there isn't really an excuse for a game like this to be receiving so much praise.

It's good, but not as great as people are making it out to be. If I had to give it a number score, it'd be a 6.5.
(message deleted)

kablamo
1 year ago#15
gizmohollow42 posted...
No. Just no. The Witcher 3 and MS5 have already demonstrated that you can do open world games without meaningless, inconsequential filler.

Clear mines
Rescue missing soldiers
Secure blueprints
etc

I would say that is mostly meaningless, inconsequential filler.

Every open world game has it.

Nice try though.

User Info: Ebak_the_cat

Ebak_the_cat
1 year ago#16
Meijimasha13 posted...
Oh look, another troll who either hasn't played the game, never left the starting area, or just sucks because the game isn't on PC and he's a pauper. Go troll somewhere else. This game is nothing like Far Cry.

Now now now, let's not dismiss someones opinion with these comments just because we disagree with them and have different opinions.

psxn64007 posted...
Does it get any better?

I don't know if I have patience for another open world mess with "activity zones," resource scavenging and crafting, poorly done stealth, a shallow melee combat system, weak narrative, and stupid fetch quests from characters I don't care about.

I never imagined that a gorgeous game with mechanical dinosaurs would be boring, but they pulled it off.

Is the game going to get more interesting once I get to Meridian to find that guy? Does it have any cool bosses and dungeons or is it mostly out in the open world (where I've found very little interesting to do so far)?

I've only just got to Meridian myself, but I find the exploring of the world to be fun and engaging. The stealth I enjoy even if it is simplistic, although I agree I wish there was more to the melee system I can't really think of a way to improve it right now beyond combos.

Maybe the game just isn't scratching that itch? I find the story to be interesting and engaging, plus the world is beautiful and holds my interest. That being said, you are not me, and maybe you are just fed up with the open world formula.

Asking whether it gets any better? From what I've played, I think you've experienced everything bar the different creatures and the override locations which do switch things up a little.

I do hope the sequel is better....but I still really like the game and think it is a very solid game. :)
3DS FC: 1220 - 6765 - 9762
Play a game then judge, don't judge before you play.

User Info: gizmohollow42

gizmohollow42
1 year ago#17
Tacanacy posted...
No, what exactly? I wasn't even referring to filler quests or formulas. Jeez, you should stop discussing open world sandbox games if you don't naturally understand what my statement was about.

You said open world games weren't TC's type because he'd been playing for 8 hours and hadn't reached meridian yet, the implication here being that TC wasn't playing it properly.

Because TC had been playing for 8 hours, but hadn't completed an early game main mission, it can be safely assumed that he'd been engaging in side content for most of this time.

So the idea is that for some reason, engaging in side content for 8 hours isn't the proper way to play an open world game. This is only really true for a game like Assassin's Creed, where most of the side content is meaningless filler. This is untrue for The Witcher 3, where the side content has good writing, well designed fights, significance, or any combination of the three.

That assumption stems from the idea that games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry are the standard for open world games, so that's what I was arguing against.

User Info: darkness1018

darkness1018
1 year ago#18
psxn64007 posted...
Tacanacy posted...
Lol, after eight hours you've already visited Meridian. Yeah, open world games aren't your type.

I like open world games when they're well done and have something to draw you in. Elder Scrolls, Metal Gear, GTA, all great. I'm having trouble finding anything to like about this game other than the graphics (which trust me, are good but also nothing out of the ordinary if you have a PC). This game just doesn't seem to do anything else well . . . it's all been done better before in different games.

I'm personally enjoying this game more then I did Skyrim, MGS V & GTA V. Skyrim was ok but got bored after awhile. MGS V & GTA V same thing, except I got bored much earlier then I did with Skyrim. Horizon Zero Dawn however I've been enjoying non stop since I got it release day. The only other open world game I've enjoyed this much this gen is The Witcher 3.
PSN: nightwing2099 GT: Gambit1018
Systems I Own: PS4, PSP, XB1 S

User Info: darkness1018

darkness1018
1 year ago#19
kablamo posted...
how is MGS5 a GREAT open world game?

It isn't lol not even a great game, just an ok at best game.
PSN: nightwing2099 GT: Gambit1018
Systems I Own: PS4, PSP, XB1 S

kablamo
1 year ago#20
Tacanacy posted...

gizmohollow42 posted...
You said open world games weren't TC's type because he'd been playing for 8 hours and hadn't reached meridian yet, the implication here being that TC wasn't playing it properly.

@gizmohollow42

i'll let you figure out your mistake
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. 8 hours in and this is basically Open World: The Game(brought to you by Ubisoft)
  • Topic Archived