• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. The game quickly devolves into a fairly generic 3rd person shooter.

User Info: phoneixfencer

phoneixfencer
1 year ago#1
I was honestly having so much fun in the first area. Fighting a sawtooth was a decent challenge. You had to hide in the tall grass and use all your items and tools to bring it down. Almost felt light playing monster hunter. But then I got to the middle of the map.

Now they have these reasonably tough machines spawn in packs of 3 or more so as soon as you hit 1 all 3 will attack you, and the tall grass is all but gone. There's no more stealth or intelligence required. Just lob elemental bombs at them until they slow down or fall and shoot one of the glowing parts just like any other shooter.

It's still fun, you're getting to shoot giant metal monsters. But I wish they wouldn't make the beginning seem like it's going to be an interesting hunting game when it's just another shooter.
GTA: O Created by trolls, for trolls.

User Info: yourDaddie

yourDaddie
1 year ago#2
you are generic
I am your father

User Info: DarkVortex

DarkVortex
1 year ago#3
I'd suggest attempting to vary your approach a little more if you're getting bogged down in such a way.

/2cents
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
PSN - Ciphiri

User Info: phoneixfencer

phoneixfencer
1 year ago#4
DarkVortex posted...
I'd suggest attempting to vary your approach a little more if you're getting bogged down in such a way.

/2cents

Great. How? No matter what you attack one enemy with, the others of his pack will come running. You can throw a rock or lure one of them away, but unless it's a small enemy you can kill in one hit it'll be alerted as soon as you attack. And once it's alerted the whole pack is alerted. Every fight after the beginning area is you against 4+ ravagers or snapmaws at the same time. You can run out of their zone so they won't chase and plink away at them, but you're never going to hunt the machines again.

Which is fine for a standard 3rd person shooter, which apparently is all this is. It's just sad when the beginning made it look far more fun.
GTA: O Created by trolls, for trolls.

User Info: atma6

atma6
1 year ago#5
phoneixfencer posted...
DarkVortex posted...

/2cents

Great. How? No matter what you attack one enemy with, the others of his pack will come running. You can throw a rock or lure one of them away, but unless it's a small enemy you can kill in one hit it'll be alerted as soon as you attack. And once it's alerted the whole pack is alerted. Every fight after the beginning area is you against 4+ ravagers or snapmaws at the same time. You can run out of their zone so they won't chase and plink away at them, but you're never going to hunt the machines again.

Which is fine for a standard 3rd person shooter, which apparently is all this is. It's just sad when the beginning made it look far more fun.

Set up traps before you alert the pack.
Fools Rush In - A demonic webcomic
http://www.foolscomic.com

User Info: Zelos_ToS

Zelos_ToS
1 year ago#6
atma6 posted...
phoneixfencer posted...
DarkVortex posted...

/2cents

Set up traps before you alert the pack.

Yep this. Traps are your friend.

User Info: xtacb

xtacb
1 year ago#7
are traps always worth the cost of using them?

like be stingy with traps, or just use them all the time, its easy to replenish them?
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?

User Info: _wwKd_

_wwKd_
1 year ago#8
xtacb posted...

like be stingy with traps, or just use them all the time, its easy to replenish them?

Once you start going through the harder enemies. Trap making gets easier.

I have more than I can handle.
Yeezy Season Fast Approaching.
What Would Kobe Do? LoL GT:YeezusWest

User Info: Celiria_Rose

Celiria_Rose
1 year ago#9
xtacb posted...

In my experience I've never had trouble crafting the traps I need. resources are all over the place and at this point I have a nice large stock pile of all the necessary materials. Even if I didn't though you can also buy trap ammunition from merchants and due to the aforementioned plentifulness of resources it's not that difficult to get the money to buy them if need be.

User Info: RaptureCapture

RaptureCapture
1 year ago#10
Do you have a rope caster? Most people ive seen play this game ignore it. It ties down a robot for like 90 seconds so you can focuse on the others. You have a tripcaster use it. If you are talking about the robots right out the starting area then honestlh ignore them till you get the stronger gear. I had so much trouble with birds before I got the rope caster
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. The game quickly devolves into a fairly generic 3rd person shooter.
  • Topic Archived