• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. PSA: Anyone getting a dull or dark image in HDR mode try this.

User Info: Conker

Conker
3 years ago#1
There seems to be a problem with various TV's in HDR mode where enabling all correct settings in the system, game, and TV produces a dull and dark image that looks washed out.

I have a Sony X930C and it appears a lot of Sony models have this issue not only with HZD but other games as well.

What worked for me is to have all of the settings properly enabled, startup the game, make sure HDR is On in the game settings, then use PS button to go into system settings and turn OFF the HDR setting only (leave Deep Color Output Automatic and all other system settings like RGB, HDCP, etc enabled or auto). Double tap (multitask) PS button to get back into the game, don't go to the homescreen or any other settings/apps/etc or it will disable and go back to looking dull.

When you get back into the game it should continue to show HDR On in the visual settings and you can turn it off to see the difference between normal display and HDR enabled to get a better idea of how colors should appear.

At this point if you multitask in any way that takes you out of the game again or use the manual save feature, the game will trigger the setup to go back to disabling HDR (it will then show "unavailable" in the game settings) and you have to restart the game and process over again for it to work again. Going back to the system settings and turning HDR on/off and double tapping without restarting the game will NOT work.

Hope this process helps if anyone is having this problem. The easiest way to tell this is working is that the background on game startup Settings > Visuals has a slightly orange tint with HDR off and when you have it on correctly it has a very crisp red tone. Also, the fires will have a vibrant red glow to them and surrounding objects.

It is truly another level of vibrance, color tone, and contrast that you'll know when you see it in the various titles I've tested it in (ESO, HZD, FFXV, inFamous, and UC4).

Hope this helps at least someone else. It appears support, forums, and most other users don't understand that this is a problem with something triggering the TV to go into HDR that has a dull washed out video mode that can't be turned off without tricking the TV.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: clottedBLOOD

clottedBLOOD
3 years ago#2
Thanks for the info! I have a sony bravia and this is the only game ive had issues with. Game looks a lot better now. Hopefully they can find a way to patch this or something

Conker
3 years ago#3
Hope some others see this. I've noticed a few posts in other topics about it.

User Info: ChouTengenToppa

ChouTengenToppa
3 years ago#4
I got an lg 55 in 4K I found out that my tv isn't actually true hdr. ;_;
OFFICIAL GRAND MASTER ASSASSIN OF NORTH AMERICA/UNITED STATES AND ALL THE ASSASSINS CREED BOARDS

User Info: CalistoCoon

CalistoCoon
3 years ago#5
I just assumed this is how HDR looked as all my HDR content on this TV looks this way, but this changes EVERYTHING.
GT:Emotional Hobo
PSN:EmoHobocore

User Info: EVOLUTION117

EVOLUTION117
3 years ago#6
Well damn. Need to go try this out on some of my other games now.
I am the true essence of Evil's bane. I am the Fierce Deity and I have risen again to kick your ass

User Info: Diggerman

Diggerman
3 years ago#7
so just to clarify, if we see "unavailable" for the graphics mode while in the in game settings menu, then we aren't getting the best picture?

I've got a sony bravia as well. the game looks great, but I'm all for it looking even better haha

Conker
3 years ago#8
Diggerman posted...
so just to clarify, if we see "unavailable" for the graphics mode while in the in game settings menu, then we aren't getting the best picture?

I've got a sony bravia as well. the game looks great, but I'm all for it looking even better haha

That is correct for HZD. If it says unavailable it is not in HDR.

For some other games (ESO for example) it doesn't have an on/off toggle, and you can suspend/miltitask and it continues to work properly unless you close the game (it does have a non-working HDR brightness bar that will be gone to know you can't enable HDR though). After the first time toggling the system HDR setting off it appears to no longer do anything by changing the setting back on...so HDR will continue to work unlike HZD.

I'm not sure if there's a way to trick the system into always keeping HDR on for the TV's until the game loads but as of right now the easiest way to know you have HDR is to load a game with the PS4's HDR setting on...making sure the game knows the TV is capable, and then suspend the game to PS4's HDR settings, then go right back into the game. This appears to trick the PS4/TV into a good (or maybe out off the manufacturer's s***ty) mode but not losing the game's support.

Sucks you have to do this everytime you launch an HDR game but knowing it works is awesome.

Think of the thousands of people who probably think HDR is s*** because of this or haven't experienced it.

User Info: kingofjamaica

kingofjamaica
3 years ago#9
Makes me glad I don't have any of the sets you guys have.

I have a KS8000 and HDR has always worked perfectly, and produced a more vibrant and more detailed image.
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.

User Info: CalistoCoon

CalistoCoon
3 years ago#10
kingofjamaica posted...
Makes me glad I don't have any of the sets you guys have.

I have a KS8000 and HDR has always worked perfectly, and produced a more vibrant and more detailed image.

Well aren't we fancy.
GT:Emotional Hobo
PSN:EmoHobocore
  1. Boards
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. PSA: Anyone getting a dull or dark image in HDR mode try this.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A