• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. For Honor
  3. Highlander/Orochi balancing?

User Info: Kensaimage

Kensaimage
5 months ago#1
Saw a long ass video on YouTube claiming some testing grounds were being done on these heroes. Didn’t click cuz it was like 11mns and I’d rather just ask here if that’s a thing that’s happening.

Would be interesting to pick up Highlander

User Info: arr_me_maytee

arr_me_maytee
5 months ago#2
HL neutral lights are being sped up to 500ms.

Orochi chained lights are being slowed down to 500ms because reddit whined about it. He's also getting an unblockable top heavy finisher.

That's it. Keep in mind that light attacks are going to cost double stam, so HL will pretty much gas out instantly in offensive form.
"It may not be thick, but boy is it short."

Kensaimage
5 months ago#3
arr_me_maytee posted...
HL neutral lights are being sped up to 500ms.

Orochi chained lights are being slowed down to 500ms because reddit whined about it. He's also getting an unblockable top heavy finisher.

That's it. Keep in mind that light attacks are going to cost double stam, so HL will pretty much gas out instantly in offensive form.

Is that gonna make him worse? Is that double stamina thing across the board for all heroes?
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Justapoorchibi

Justapoorchibi
5 months ago#4
Double edged sword really. HL's lights as they are kinda suck. They have a very distinctive animation and that coupled with them being 600ms means they can be parried on reaction very easily. But HL will have to be a bit more liberal with offensive form lights. They'll run him dry in seconds.

As for Orochi, Orochi is getting nerfed for...no apparent reason. Orochi isn't very strong anyway and this is going to make it even harder to raise an offense as them. The unblockable means very little. They still have pretty much no way to force a reaction from people.

Chibs, aka: "Oh god not her!"
[ Warning: Do not feed the chibi ]

arr_me_maytee
5 months ago#5
Kensaimage posted...
Is that gonna make him worse? Is that double stamina thing across the board for all heroes?

Yeah all lights will now cost 12 stam. It kinda goes against the idea of more usable offense that they're trying to push.

It's hard to say if HL will really be better. His neutral lights will be more usable but the strength of offensive form is lessened by the stam cost and the fact that it'll be harder to reactively dodge the opponent.

Orochi will probably be worse. 500ms chained lights are just worse than 400ms. The baffling thing is that they're leaving them on the characters with them that are already better. I'd like to think that the top heavy finisher unblockable will be decent compensation, but with the prevalence of option select parries unblockables are the weakest form of "true" offense. Not to mention with the way delays will work, backdodge after blocked storm rush may beat all of his options now instead of top heavy feint into GB catching. Time will tell.

User Info: MetalZoic

MetalZoic
5 months ago#6
I'm hoping the changes are good. They seem good. It seemed to me that the the change to light stamina would mostly impact the stupid characters with crazy light spam combos.

arr_me_maytee
5 months ago#7
MetalZoic posted...
I'm hoping the changes are good. They seem good. It seemed to me that the the change to light stamina would mostly impact the stupid characters with crazy light spam combos.

I think the stam change is a really stupid decision since the other changes they're implementing already do a lot to make light spam not a thing. It also sort of runs counter to the concept of an offensive meta that they're going for. Feels like the only reason they did it was to pander to the reddit crowd that doesn't actually understand the other changes.
(edited 5 months ago)

Kensaimage
5 months ago#8
arr_me_maytee posted...
I think the stam change is a really stupid decision since the other changes they're implementing already do a lot to make light spam not a thing. It also sort of runs counter to the concept of an offensive meta that they're going for. Feels like the only reason they did it was to pander to the reddit crowd that doesn't actually understand the other changes.

Yeah, seems like it’ll slow combat in general down

User Info: darklust

darklust
5 months ago#9
Mostly figured HL lights were just used to counter incoming attacks.

Heavies and H.A mix up shenanigans were his thing.

Orochi is fine, theres more to him than lights... and hes always been a counter fighter anyhow. Folks just mostly want to play him hyper aggressively (which is fine) but its not his design.

I feel like the change will make JJ & jorm players stronger.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Justapoorchibi

Justapoorchibi
5 months ago#10
darklust posted...
Orochi is fine, theres more to him than lights... and hes always been a counter fighter anyhow. Folks just mostly want to play him hyper aggressively (which is fine) but its not his design.

I feel like the change will make JJ & jorm players stronger.
Thing is Orochi is pretty high risk in general when fighting anyone competent, can easily be countered, being baited f***s them up because their counter moves are pretty easy parries and give a free heavy when parried. Also mega easy to delect. But they need to rely on those to get going because their opening lights are nothing special.

But then you have the problem where if the opponent doesn't want to make the first move Orochi has nothing to force them to make a move or break through. And if they do make the first move you have to put on a lot of effort making reads and avoiding being predictable so you don't get baited or read for half your health.

Orochi definitely can work, they can eat overaggressive people alive, and once they get going they can fluster people sometimes because of how fast they are, but speed and counters is about all they have. When they end up with regular speed they'll end up a hero with only counters that lead to chains with no real mixups, even less pressure than they have now and no mechanics to help them out in that regard. Not sure and unblockable helps much in that regard. Just super basic, regular speed offense...guess we'll see how it goes but I don't like beating down an already weaker hero or the double standards of better heroes than Orochi keeping their fast lights.
Chibs, aka: "Oh god not her!"
[ Warning: Do not feed the chibi ]
  1. Boards
  2. For Honor
  3. Highlander/Orochi balancing?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A