You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. For Honor
  3. How to git gud?

User Info: Kia123Amini

Kia123Amini
1 week ago#1
I'm really, really bad at this game. Like, so bad that, whenever I enter a lobby, the game tells me my skill level is lower than my opponents and my team.

I suck at blocking, I can't parry to save my life, and, if someone does that rapid stance switch thing against me, they're guaranteed a hit.

I just don't know how to get better. I've tried playing against bots, I've tried the campaign, and I've tried doing the tutorials. I just can't get a hang of the timing. How did you guys get good at this game?
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: karsin91

karsin91
1 week ago#2
using an extremely offensive character might help. An assassin that relies more on dodging than blocking just might help you. Whoever you do choose to play make sure you watch some videos on how to use them and what their mix ups are. If you go the much more offensive route and get more used to the feel of the game blocking and parrying will hopefully come with time.

Kia123Amini
1 week ago#3
The Warlord feels like an offensive character though. Is he not one?

And I like the Orochi, and I’m not that good with the Berserker. I’ve never used the Peacemaker but it doesn’t seem very strong.
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: TorvaMessorem

TorvaMessorem
1 week ago#4
Warlord is a bit in the middle. He has a good opener with his headbutt, and various other solid movies. Both Orochi and Peacekeeper are bad heroes that rely solely on spamming fast attacks. Which is okay, but you'll bite the dust when your opponent has a lot of hyper armor or can parry these light attacks.

First thing you wanna do is check your TVs settings. Make sure you have "game mode" activated. It makes a huge difference in being able to block/parry attacks. In the game's settings, set your analog stick dead zone to 1 or 0. Other than that, it just comes down to practice. When I first started playing Guard Breaks were too fast for me to counter.

I'll suggest you a few heroes if blocking/parrying really isn't your thing.

Conqueror: has a full block stance just like Warlord, but guarantees a 30dmg counter. His zone attack (R1+R2) is also the best in the game as it has a really short startup time and blocks in all directions while throwing an attack. He also has block frames on the startup of his heavy attacks, and you'll often accidentally block an attack with it.

Berserker: once you get your infinite combo going you'll have full hyper armor all the way, meaning you can't be knocked out of it unless it's a bash of sorts. A bit harder to use because your fingers need to be fast in order to feint (cancel) the heavy attacks as they will most likely be blocked/parried.

Shugoki: he has hyper armor on his light attacks which can be used for trading, as well as on his heavies. The heavies can be charged for massive damage or cancelled into Demon's Embrace to deal 25dmg plus heal you for 25dmg (iirc). A very solid, easy to use hero. Not many moves so not much to learn, but what he has is solid.

Hitokiri: Similar to Shugoki, but only has hyper armor on his heavies. But the hyper armor kicks in immediately, so you can trade hits on reaction with it. You can mash R2 indefinitely to keep hitting people, and you can hold R2 during each of them to vary up the timing of each hit. This is to hit people trying to parry your attacks by throwing off their timing. His light attacks are very fast, especially when used after a heavy, and are not often blocked by people. The only downside is that he's harder to use because his main way of opening up people is his kick. Which is done by pressing square after a light or heavy attack. If you let the kick go and it hits, you get a free heavy attack worth 30dmg. If you keep holding square you'll do a sweep, which only guarantees a light attack worth 18dmg. If your opponent dodges either of those they will get a free Guard Break on you, so be careful. The thing that works best (especially against more inexperienced players) is cancel the kick with the feint button, and immediately hit the Guard Break button after. As soon as you go for the kick, people are heavily inclined to dodge, and the Guard Break will catch them.

Hope this helps.
"Kids are cruel, Jack. And I'm very much in touch with my inner child."

User Info: MagicTrick

MagicTrick
1 week ago#5
Training, 1 on 1 bot. Change the settings around to make the bot do certain and different moves. Parry,block,Dodge, etc from a neutral stance Whatever move you have it using.

Do this with every move, then select a different bot character and repeat. You now know the reaction time needed for each move as well as what type of counter is required for it. Just a basic practice and learn.

Now for combos and mix-ups etc. That's all a mind game, now it's time to learn what moves can enter hyper armor, more combos, baits etc. To do this, play as every hero and do their mix-ups, infinite chains, whatever they got. Now you know what to expect from each hero.

Final step: play Dominion and learn how players react, move, feint etc with each character(this is a large learning curve point.) After sometime, say a week or two throw your butt in Duels. Do the same thing, by week 3 or 4 you should officially be above average now. Want to get even better? Duel other good players you come across, the ones whooping ya without a hassle. Play better people, become better yourself.

User Info: arr_me_maytee

arr_me_maytee
1 week ago#6
The best way to learn is to play with people who know what they're doing.

There is a mentor discord server specifically for this reason.
https://discord.gg/CkGsFX7

I'm also willing to help if our schedules align.

My psn name is Fnargle
"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best"- Hitler, probably

Kia123Amini
1 week ago#7
TorvaMessorem posted...
Warlord is a bit in the middle. He has a good opener with his headbutt, and various other solid movies. Both Orochi and Peacekeeper are bad heroes that rely solely on spamming fast attacks. Which is okay, but you'll bite the dust when your opponent has a lot of hyper armor or can parry these light attacks.

First thing you wanna do is check your TVs settings. Make sure you have "game mode" activated. It makes a huge difference in being able to block/parry attacks. In the game's settings, set your analog stick dead zone to 1 or 0. Other than that, it just comes down to practice. When I first started playing Guard Breaks were too fast for me to counter.

I'll suggest you a few heroes if blocking/parrying really isn't your thing.

Conqueror: has a full block stance just like Warlord, but guarantees a 30dmg counter. His zone attack (R1+R2) is also the best in the game as it has a really short startup time and blocks in all directions while throwing an attack. He also has block frames on the startup of his heavy attacks, and you'll often accidentally block an attack with it.

Berserker: once you get your infinite combo going you'll have full hyper armor all the way, meaning you can't be knocked out of it unless it's a bash of sorts. A bit harder to use because your fingers need to be fast in order to feint (cancel) the heavy attacks as they will most likely be blocked/parried.

Shugoki: he has hyper armor on his light attacks which can be used for trading, as well as on his heavies. The heavies can be charged for massive damage or cancelled into Demon's Embrace to deal 25dmg plus heal you for 25dmg (iirc). A very solid, easy to use hero. Not many moves so not much to learn, but what he has is solid.

Hope this helps.

MagicTrick posted...
Training, 1 on 1 bot. Change the settings around to make the bot do certain and different moves. Parry,block,Dodge, etc from a neutral stance Whatever move you have it using.

Do this with every move, then select a different bot character and repeat. You now know the reaction time needed for each move as well as what type of counter is required for it. Just a basic practice and learn.

Now for combos and mix-ups etc. That's all a mind game, now it's time to learn what moves can enter hyper armor, more combos, baits etc. To do this, play as every hero and do their mix-ups, infinite chains, whatever they got. Now you know what to expect from each hero.

Final step: play Dominion and learn how players react, move, feint etc with each character(this is a large learning curve point.) After sometime, say a week or two throw your butt in Duels. Do the same thing, by week 3 or 4 you should officially be above average now. Want to get even better? Duel other good players you come across, the ones whooping ya without a hassle. Play better people, become better yourself.

arr_me_maytee posted...
The best way to learn is to play with people who know what they're doing.

There is a mentor discord server specifically for this reason.
https://discord.gg/CkGsFX7

I'm also willing to help if our schedules align.

My psn name is Fnargle
I really appreciate all this, guys. Thank you all so much! Sending you a FR fnargle, I’m the batmayan

User Info: Justapoorchibi

Justapoorchibi
1 week ago#8
Always best to focus on learning to block quick and then parrying first obviously. Can learn some fancy tricks to hurt people with but they're no good if you're dead before you can use them properly.

Parrying in particular is an important to tool to learn. Parrying drains the opponents stamina and a parried heavy will net most heroes a free light, and a parried light will land most a free heavy.

The main thing to know is unblockables (the big scary attacks with the orange glow, though not to be confused with grabs) can only be stopped with a parry, which you need because people will quickly start to exploit your vulnerability to unlockables if you can't stop them.
"Oh god not her!"
[ Warning: Do not feed the chibi ]

User Info: HornedLion

HornedLion
5 days ago#9
First, before you take these guys’ advice(which is all good advice from the vets here)... you need to first call your internet service provider(Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, etc.) and make sure you have a decent internet speed.
:)

User Info: Obscene

Obscene
5 days ago#10
Play Lawbringer
PSN-Obscene69
  1. Boards
  2. For Honor
  3. How to git gud?